Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Face Textur Change! NEED HELP!!

Page: 1 of 1
 Y4mama
12-27-2004, 4:49 AM
Sry to bother you guys but i need some help again! This time its about changing the face of the main char! OK i used Kotor tool (under ERFs, texture packs, swpc_tex_tpa.erf and then P). I play the chineze bald char and i intend to make a tatto on his face(paint a tattoo in Photoshop) but when I had extracted the texture to tga format and retextured it and then copyed it to the override folder, but when i started the game the chineze face was as usual! And i tried to change all the textures (darkside to lightside) but it didnt change...is it becuse i have the txtures in .TGA format? becuse i cant change them to .tpc! Tell me how to do!
 Darkkender
12-27-2004, 4:56 AM
Are you trying this on an existing game or a brand new game? most texture changes tend to not show up untill you start a brand new game especially for the player models.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-27-2004, 5:06 AM
Did you merge all the layers? If your .tga file has more than one layer, the changes won't work.

If you're using Photoshop, after making your texture changes, flatten the image. (located in the 'Layers' menu at the top menu bar)

Your main Layer name will then change to "Background" with a small lock icon on it.

Make sure to save in 32bit since you extracted it from the 'tpa' erf.

OH, and .tga format is what you want...no need to worry about the .tpc extension...

Keep us updated! :)
 Y4mama
12-27-2004, 5:39 AM
Sorry guys, doesnt work either, there is only one layer (background) and still the face doesnt change...i've started a new game but it doesnt change anyway....can u guys please write me texturing tut or tell me where i should look, cuz this really pisses me off...send me a face texturing tut at my mail adress if ya find any: (please no posting Emails)
 svцsh
12-27-2004, 6:25 AM
Let me guess PS7 ? or not named properly or .. to many extra alpha channels

If it’s Photoshop 7 you need the proper targa plugin extension fix

Here is the link for the working .tga plugin
http://www.adobe.com/support/downlo...544&fileID=1478)

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running.
2. Download the archive file that contains the Targa plug-in and
its associated ReadMe file.
3. Use WinZip or PKZIP to extract the contents of the archive file.
4. Locate the Photoshop 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats folder.
5. Drag the extracted Targa plug-in into the File Formats folder.
6. In the resulting dialog box, click OK to overwrite the existing
Targa plug-in.
7. Launch Photoshop 7.0.

The Targa Extension that ships with ps7 is faulty and will never save any alpha channel info. Because the game treats the file like 24 bit it will not display your work.

# 1 file must be 32 bit .tga with ONE alpha channel
# 2 the file must be name exactly as the original to override
# 3 Make sure you only have the one extra alpha channel named *Alpha 1*

Fyi I have images with over 90 layers and do NOT flatten them to make my .tga Besides it’s best to keep that master .PSD around for quick edits

hope this helps

svцsh
 Darkkender
12-27-2004, 6:49 AM
Well some great resources would be

Do you Want to mod SW-KotOR? Then Start here.Mod Tutorials! (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124284)

there's even a thread for you there.

Clear Complete Texture Editing Tutorial? (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122562)

also you may want to refer to this thread before posting your email or asking some of the questions you have been further.

Holowan Laboratories: Forum Rules and Etiquette (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127725)
 Darkkender
12-27-2004, 7:15 AM
Originally posted by svцsh
Let me guess PS7 ? or not named properly or .. to many extra alpha channels

hope this helps

svцsh

Actually Svosh he mentioned in another thread he is using Nero Photosnap viewer.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-27-2004, 7:22 AM
i intend to make a tatto on his face(paint a tattoo in Photoshop)

I think Y4mama switched to Photoshop (or downloaded a trial version)?? It's why I first gave him a Photoshop flattening tip.

But you are right Darkkender, the first posts were based off of Nero Photosnap.... :D
 svцsh
12-27-2004, 7:56 AM
Ya I noticed that as well after posting , but if it’s anything like acdsee’s photo editor, it won’t ...work... well .. if it can even save images with an alpha channel and I’m betting that’s the problem.

http://www.nerophotosnap.com/us/27530.html)

· Supported read file formats: .jpg, .pcd, .iff, .xbm, .gif, .bmp, .png, .tif, .pcx, .ras, .tga
· Supported write file formats: .jpg, .tga., .gif, .png, .tif, .bmp, .pcx
· Editing Tools: Cut, Copy, Paste, Resize, Drawing Tools

http://www.nerophotosnap.com/us/27568.html)

It says it saves at .tga but does it save at 32bit .tga with alpha ?

svцsh
 Y4mama
12-27-2004, 8:59 AM
Thanx mate, it worked out!!
 ChAiNz.2da
12-27-2004, 9:10 AM
Originally posted by Y4mama
Thanx mate, it worked out!!

Hey Y4mama, if it was the tga plug-in that master svцsh advised, this may ALSO inadvertently help you with your other problem adjusting the texture for the Bandon robes (since you now have a working alpha channel to adjust)....
give it a shot... ;)
 T7nowhere
12-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Darkkender
Are you trying this on an existing game or a brand new game? most texture changes tend to not show up untill you start a brand new game especially for the player models.

Actually Texture and models will override the moment they go in override. There is no need to start a new game for a texture change to show. If it did require a new game I think I would have quit modeling along time ago ;)

I have heard that you can even have the game running and it will load the texture change, I haven't been able to try this though KotOR has always been to damn unstable on my PC, hmm I suppose it could work in windows mode.
 ChAiNz.2da
12-27-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
I have heard that you can even have the game running and it will load the texture change, I haven't been able to try this though KotOR has always been to damn unstable on my PC, hmm I suppose it could work in windows mode.

I can confirm this T7, it does in fact work. I can't remember what lines I put in my .ini file (I'm at "work"...zzz) but all I have to do to switch 'window' mode is ALT+ENTER.

I'll start a game, ALT out, do my re-texture and save (directly into my override), then ALT again to return full screen... Apparently it refreshes "something" because my new texture has been applied, or changes thereof...

When I get home I can post what lines I changed, but I do know that I found the lines here at Holowan (maybe a search will bring them up)...

::EDIT::
Yup. I knew I had seen it here somewhere....

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122058)

Wouldn't ya' know it was something Kitty Kitty had 'sparked'... (wish I had joined Holowan sooner, seems she was a fountain of information)
 T7nowhere
12-27-2004, 11:28 AM
lol, I remembered that thread I just did get to searching for it. Thanks :)
 Darkkender
12-27-2004, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
Actually Texture and models will override the moment they go in override. There is no need to start a new game for a texture change to show. If it did require a new game I think I would have quit modeling along time ago ;)

This has just been something I have run into with some new textures but not all so as a default I just load a new game to be certain everytime i make changes to this degree. That way I avoid glitches such as black HK-47 going transparent on me after previously having the MilSpec HK-47 skin being used. It was definetly interesting though seeing through HK's head in a shadowed transparent fashion. Not to mention the game seems to crash less often if it isn't trying to refresh midgame or midsave.
Page: 1 of 1