Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sending Heartbeats with a Listen Server

Page: 1 of 1
 razorace
12-21-2004, 6:57 PM
I'm interested in running a listen server that sends heartbeats to the master servers. The idea being that I can run the my server in listen mode and still be visible on the server browsers.

How do I do that?
 Amidala from Chop Shop
12-29-2004, 10:50 AM
I think by definition a "listen" server doesn't send heartbeats to the master server so it isn't visible in server browsers. It is designed to only let clients who know the server IP address to /connect (IPaddress) to the server.

I think the +set dedicated x cvar determines whether heartbeats are sent or not.
 razorace
01-02-2005, 9:45 AM
So, other than running a dedicated copy and then a client copy to connect to the server, there's no way to be able to play on the server I'm hosting and be able to heartbeat?

boo! hiss!
 Amidala from Chop Shop
01-06-2005, 7:30 PM
That's one way to do it: run the jampded.exe for the server, and run jamp.exe when you want to play on it. That way you can leave the server running without running the client.

A better solution is a LAN with one computer running jampded.exe and the other running the jamp.exe client.
 razorace
01-06-2005, 9:16 PM
Well, the purpose of this would be to have a temp server that would be running while I code/debug for OJP. That way people could just hop on and see what's new.

However, the mess of maintaining dedicated servers, seperate windows of the game, etc, would be more of a hassle than it would be worth.

I think I'll just post my server's IP instead.
 Amidala from Chop Shop
01-07-2005, 9:24 AM
You can run jampded.exe, minimize it, and hardly notice that it is there. It hardly uses any resources if no one is on the server.
Page: 1 of 1