Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Repair Parts and Computer Spikes

Page: 1 of 1
 Physical
12-19-2004, 2:56 PM
ok i tried searching and couldn't find anything about this (probly wasn't looking correctly who knows)

but this is what i was trying to do... one of the things in this game that i consider to be just an annoyance is the repair parts, computer spikes, and security spikes... unless u run to the ebon hawk half a dozen times whenever the timelimit on item creation is up you will be short on them... so to simply cut this annoyance out i tried to ad them to a store for 1 credit each. (was trying to make a stack of 9999 for 1 credit but i saw it just made that in the store, so i would have to make it in uses and i was not sure if it would still work if i did that)

I also used the advanced ones from the game that give +10 to the skill for the one ur using. but i have run into a problem... They aren't showing up as parts or spikes or anything when i want to use them to hack a computer or reactivate a droid etc... its been a while since i played the game so i don't remember how the advanced ones worked in the game when u looted one (if u even could)

This is a copy of what the file looks like in the gff editor:

-1 [TopLevelStruct] = Type:UTI Ver:V3.2
AddCost [DWORD] = 1
BaseItem [INT] = 60
Charges [BYTE] = 255
Comment [CExoString] = One use only. Gives +10 bonus t
Cost [DWORD] = 0
DescIdentified [CExoLocString] = 1 strings
Description [CExoLocString] = 0 strings
Identified [BYTE] = 1
KTInfoDate [CExoString] = Friday, December 17, 2004 11:19:
KTInfoVersion [CExoString] = 1.0.1781.24939
LocalizedName [CExoLocString] = 1 strings
ModelVariation [BYTE] = 1
PaletteID [BYTE] = 5
Plot [BYTE] = 0
PropertiesList [List] = ...
0 [User-defined Struct: 0] = ...
ChanceAppear [BYTE] = 100
CostTable [BYTE] = 1
CostValue [WORD] = 10
Param1 [BYTE] = 255
Param1Value [BYTE] = 0
PropertyName [WORD] = 36
Subtype [WORD] = 0
StackSize [WORD] = 9999
Stolen [BYTE] = 0
Tag [CExoString] = advcomspike
TemplateResRef [CResRef] = advcomspike

Thats my computer spike, the other 2 are for the most part the same thing with diff file names etc... i can get them to show up in the store, buy them, show up in inventory just fine. but when i tried to repair a robot it would not detect a single one of them...

any help with this would be appreciated
 Mono_Giganto
12-19-2004, 3:19 PM
Was advcomspike the original templateresref or did you make that? 'Cause I think the game checks for them by the template, and if you change it they won't show up. >.<
 Physical
12-19-2004, 3:36 PM
templateresref on the origonal is the name of the origonal com spike file... here is the origonal as it appears in the gff editor:

-1 [TopLevelStruct] = Type:UTI Ver:V3.2
AddCost [DWORD] = 0
BaseItem [INT] = 60
Charges [BYTE] = 0
Comment [CExoString] = One use only. Gives +10 bonus t
Cost [DWORD] = 0
DescIdentified [CExoLocString] = 0 strings
Description [CExoLocString] = 0 strings
Identified [BYTE] = 1
LocalizedName [CExoLocString] = 0 strings
ModelVariation [BYTE] = 1
PaletteID [BYTE] = 5
Plot [BYTE] = 0
PropertiesList [List] = ...
0 [User-defined Struct: 0] = ...
ChanceAppear [BYTE] = 100
CostTable [BYTE] = 1
CostValue [WORD] = 10
Param1 [BYTE] = 255
Param1Value [BYTE] = 0
PropertyName [WORD] = 53
Subtype [WORD] = 0
StackSize [WORD] = 1
Stolen [BYTE] = 0
Tag [CExoString] = G_I_PROGSPIKE02
TemplateResRef [CResRef] = g_i_progspike02
 Physical
12-19-2004, 5:13 PM
also if fred tetra happens to read this (if no response i will make a new post :) ) i had a question about these items in the kotor tool... when adding bonuses to it in the properties there is a Computer Spike property name and a Security Spike property name... but not one for repair parts (unless i did not understand its label)

could you or anyone else reading this explain the functionality of using the Computer Spike property vs using the skill property then under sub type using Computer Use.

I realize this may give the spikes their functionality properly but what about the repair parts?

which leads back to my first question in this thread :/
 RedHawke
12-19-2004, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by Physical
I realize this may give the spikes their functionality properly but what about the repair parts?
Repair parts don't do anything themselves, they are only used through dialogues with computers and droids, so they don't have an item actual property of any kind, they are a script used item only used to repair droids and such.

It is actually a script in the repair dialogues, checking against your repair skill, that determines how many Parts you will need to fix said droid.

I hope this helps! :D
 Darkkender
12-20-2004, 2:39 AM
Originally posted by Physical
also if fred tetra happens to read this (if no response i will make a new post :) ) i had a question about these items in the kotor tool... when adding bonuses to it in the properties there is a Computer Spike property name and a Security Spike property name... but not one for repair parts (unless i did not understand its label)

*Fred's Answering service Fred's not in right now but Darkkender will fill in the gaps if needed*

Here's the scoop on item properties and Fred's tool. Fred set his tool up to show the data as it would appear in a 2da file. now when his gff editor opens a gff file it will automatically insert the text data that applies to the apropriate field in the corresponding 2da file. if there is no data in a set gff files field then there will be no data in the properties section of that item.

I'm sure ther is more I could teach young padawan but I don't know your next question yet.

*answering service out*
 Mono_Giganto
12-20-2004, 6:48 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
Repair parts don't do anything themselves, they are only used through dialogues with computers and droids, so they don't have an item actual property of any kind, they are a script used item only used to repair droids and such.

It is actually a script in the repair dialogues, checking against your repair skill, that determines how many Parts you will need to fix said droid.

I hope this helps! :D

And scripts also check to make sure you have enough parts, and it checks by TAG, right? Which means that your problem was changing the tag.
 Doom_Dealer
12-20-2004, 7:10 AM
how do you actually use those security spikes???

Ive never found anywhere in the game, or any way to use them, its weird.

Computer spikes and repair spikes are in all the dialogues, but ive never found a use for secutiry spikes.
 Mono_Giganto
12-20-2004, 7:47 AM
There is no use for them.
 Darkkender
12-20-2004, 8:03 AM
They were supposed to be to make it easier to by pass locks and the sort. I thought they actually did have some effect and did get used you just don't get prompted i thought.
 Physical
12-20-2004, 2:15 PM
ok so then if its in scripting that uses them as you say... and you think its the tag...

i looked at the origonal file and its tag refered to g_i_progspike02

i dunno if thats the one i modified off of or not but does not matter same thing.

so the window read like this

TAG g_i_progspike02

based on that i made my item with file name advcomspike read

TAG advcomspike

since the script is calling a spefic tag, then i need to change my advcomspike file to have the TAG g_i_progspike2 correct? same for the security and repair ones as well
 Physical
12-20-2004, 9:08 PM
ok i got it working, you were right it was the tag :)

K_REPAIR_PART

is the tag for repair parts

thanks for everyones help
Page: 1 of 1