Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

"The Second part of your Trials is building a lightsaber..."

Page: 1 of 1
 Bobo
12-16-2004, 3:35 PM
Yoyoyo

im working on my..........

second mod.... rofl!

yes been here since august and my second mod lol

i am going to be making some Lightsabers, right now they are nothing but i would like to use the ideas of sabers from that Saber library, i cant remember who found that site but i give them thanks for telling us.

My First will try to make Yun's Lightsaber from Dark Forces II, the First JK. And Possibly a custom lightsaber for Miss Priss, also known as Bastila :p

The downside here is that my JASC has ran up on the trial lol. so i will need a volunteer to help me with the skinning of the saber once i complete the model.

this wont be right away :)

if you have anything that can help me, or suggestions, i'd love to hear :)

--bobo:c3po: :rolleyes:
 Mono_Giganto
12-16-2004, 3:53 PM
Here's an idea to help you skin, this is what I did with my DL-44. (I'm a terrible skinner)

Save the picture of Yun's saber here (http://www.thelightsaber.com/history5a.htm) on your computer. Now, in gmax, select the bottom left window, go to view > viewport background > and in that window, go to 'files' and find the Yun saber picture. It will now set the background of that window as Yun's saber, so now, not only can you model Yun's saber to near perfect accuracy, you have a premade skin al set for you!

Hope this helps.
 Bobo
12-16-2004, 3:54 PM
Using cchargin's tool for lightsaber stuff is a little more advanced then i thought. is there somewhere where i can get a more detailed tutorial?

==thanks :confused: :c3po:
 Mono_Giganto
12-16-2004, 3:55 PM
Well, considering cchargin made the tool, I think his tutorial's going to be the best around. :)
 Bobo
12-16-2004, 3:59 PM
hehe thought that too, but its like greek to me lol
 Bobo
12-16-2004, 4:09 PM
come to understand this tutorial, what is NWmax? apparently i cant find it. lol
 Darth333
12-16-2004, 7:04 PM
Originally posted by Master Bobo
come to understand this tutorial, what is NWmax? apparently i cant find it. lol
Please, make the effort of reading the readme that comes with MDLops. Cchargin tells you where to get nwmax and much more in there.

...and instead of double posting, use the edit button located ar the bottom of each of your posts ;)
 cchargin
12-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Hello,

The downside here is that my JASC has ran up on the trial lol.

You should look into the open source program "The Gimp". It is what I use for the few mods I have made. It is totally free. Although it is not the power house that Photoshop is, it has everything you need for image editing.

I should also warn you that sometimes the windows versions are a little buggy, so save often.

http://www.gimp.org/)

Using cchargin's tool for lightsaber stuff is a little more advanced then i thought.

Whatever you find confusing about MDLOps let me know. I try to make it simple (few buttons), but I also know that after working on a project for a long time you tend to lose the eye for what will be confusing to someone running the program for the first time.

Well, considering cchargin made the tool, I think his tutorial's going to be the best around.
heh. Even though I call it a tutorial it is really just a quick and dirty set of steps to get a hilt compiled. It really does need to be made more user friendly. But I guess in this case "the only thing around" = "the best around" :)

As for modeling and such the 2 most common problems that I hear about are:
1) If you are using gmax/nwmax make sure to launch using the nwmax icon on your desktop. This will make sure that nwmax/gmax can export ascii models.
2) Make sure your hilt is linked to the correct dummy object. And remember that the order in which you use the link tool is VERY important!

And of course if you get stuck there are plenty of people here who can help out. Heck sometimes this place feels like my tech support group. I see forum members answering MDLOps questions before I get a chance to! Thanks guys! :thmbup1:
 Bobo
12-17-2004, 3:46 PM
:D working on it. coming slowly but surely.

I dont have a picture up yet, but my plans for bastila's lightsaber is similer to "The Dark Woman"'s lightsaber.

gunna take me a bit :) hehe
Page: 1 of 1