Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Quarter Staff Re-Skins?

Page: 1 of 1
 90SK
11-29-2004, 2:26 PM
I've been trying to re-vamp a quarter staff. I attempted to load the ascii in gmax, but then the following message pops up:

--Unable to convert: undifined to type: Float

Can anyone tell me why this is happening (I think it has something to do with the model's animations)?
 cchargin
11-29-2004, 5:32 PM
Hello,

Post or send me the name of the model you are having problems with and I will take a look at it. Or you can send me your ascii model file.

Some of the kotor models have very odd things going on. Many models have infinitely thin triangles. Fred Tetra found an area model that has a mesh with NO verticies. MDLOps certainly did not like that! I wouldn't be surprised if the staff model has some other weird thing happening.

Or maybe you have found a bug in MDLOps...

Dude! Your sig!
Step F. Disconnect yourself from you life. It is obsolete now.
Step G. Prepare for many sleepless nights
That is hilarious!
 Mono_Giganto
11-30-2004, 9:02 AM
I hope you figure out the problem, I've had an idea for altering the staff model. ;)
 90SK
11-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Its the w_qrtstaff01 mdl/mdx (I'm pretty sure thats the name, but I am unable to check it until thursday).

Dude! Your sig! That is hilarious!

Thanks!:D I'm trying to get people to conform to KotOR. ;)
 svцsh
11-30-2004, 1:55 PM
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the quarter staff is an animated model and it extends telescopically. However I have had it in max a while ago with mdlops 2 or 3. I’ll test it tonight ;)

svцsh
 Mono_Giganto
11-30-2004, 2:09 PM
Originally posted by svцsh
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the quarter staff is an animated model and it extends telescopically. However I have had it in max a while ago with mdlops 2 or 3. I’ll test it tonight ;)

svцsh

And correct me if I'm wrong as well, but with the replacer we should be ble to make new quarter staves right?
 svцsh
11-30-2004, 7:28 PM
Yes that was what I was going to test, but my point being I have decompiled it and loaded it in max and gmax before 4 came out , but if it’s like I suspect and the telescopic sections are replaced with stock ones maybe to skin it will have to be hexed or re named in mdlops 4 renamer

just like we can not alter the length of the saber blades… in anycase we will have to see ;)

svцsh
 cchargin
11-30-2004, 8:02 PM
Hello,

Yep, those darn animations. Well actually it is a bug in MDLOps this time. For some reason it just is not extracting the animations properly.

The good news is that you don't have to worry about it really. Just be sure to clear the check box next to "Extract animations" before hitting the "read and write model" button. This will get you an ascii model without animations and you should be able to load it into gmax no problem.

Make your changes then export it with nwmax and use replacer to get it back into a binary. Should work.

Of course if you are just re-skinning then no need for the replacer stuff.

In the meantime I have to figure out what that bug is...
 90SK
12-01-2004, 3:04 AM
Very cool! Thanks a bunch for your help!:D
Page: 1 of 1