Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Export from gmax problem

Page: 1 of 1
 Darth_ToMeR
11-24-2004, 9:31 AM
I finished a model mask.
When i pressed the 'Export Geom Only" button, gmax got stuck. I tried another time and again it got stuck. Third time i pressed 'xform' and then i tried to export, but it says "sanity check failed, continue exporting?". i pressed 'yes' and gmax stuck again. What am i doing wrong?
 Raveth
11-24-2004, 9:38 AM
Hmm Good Question .. Try Reset Computer / Make ©opy Paste .. The File And Then Try That Rename Or So..Hope That Helps :)
 Darth_ToMeR
11-24-2004, 9:42 AM
I stuck with that for a week and i don't know what i'm doing wrong.
It's something nice, i can say.
 90SK
11-24-2004, 10:02 AM
I had the EXACT same problem. My problem was that I wasn't linking the model correctly. Fast linker solved that issue, but you might not have the same problem I had. I'll quote bneezy from a PM he sent me about this:

As for the Sanity Check, look in your gmax/NWMax folders for one named "sanity". Open it up and look for the text file with the name of the model you're working with. If you read through the file, it will tell you what the problem is. It's probably a texture file with a name longer than 16 characters. The file will tell you what's wrong.

Thanks again bneezy! :D
 Darth_ToMeR
11-25-2004, 1:49 AM
Originally posted by CaptainSkye
I had the EXACT same problem. My problem was that I wasn't linking the model correctly. Fast linker solved that issue, but you might not have the same problem I had. I'll quote bneezy from a PM he sent me about this:

Thanks again bneezy! :D
You mean "gmax/scripts/nwmax/sanity" ?
I looked there and there is just files about things i already exported. Now i tried it again and it just got stuck. Without the sanity check. Can i send the gmax file to someone so i will know what i'm doing wrong?
 TemporaryTomato
11-25-2004, 4:24 AM
This is how I do it(figured it out after quite a bit of fiddling around, asking here, and cursing the stupidness of the model format :rolleyes: ):

First, you export your model. Then, make a new file, and load the kotor model you want to replace.
Import your model, and line it up. Delete the kotor model.

Here's the PITA part, where stuff go wrong.

Convert your model to an aurora trimesh( either use the trimesh button on nwmax or find Aurora Trimesh in the modifier list).

Hit Reset Xform and pray to the gods of modelling that your model will look the same as it did before. :p

If it hasn't decided to go all scaled up on ya, now's the time to link it. Just select everything in the scene(yes, the base, helpers, everything) and hit the fast linker button.

Now the model should export fine.

...hopefully... :darthx
 Darth_ToMeR
11-25-2004, 5:42 AM
Originally posted by TemporaryTomato
This is how I do it(figured it out after quite a bit of fiddling around, asking here, and cursing the stupidness of the model format :rolleyes: ):

First, you export your model. Then, make a new file, and load the kotor model you want to replace.
Import your model, and line it up. Delete the kotor model.

Here's the PITA part, where stuff go wrong.

Convert your model to an aurora trimesh( either use the trimesh button on nwmax or find Aurora Trimesh in the modifier list).

Hit Reset Xform and pray to the gods of modelling that your model will look the same as it did before. :p

If it hasn't decided to go all scaled up on ya, now's the time to link it. Just select everything in the scene(yes, the base, helpers, everything) and hit the fast linker button.

Now the model should export fine.

...hopefully... :darthx
How to export it? i can export it just on p3d and i can't import that format.
 TemporaryTomato
11-25-2004, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by Darth_ToMeR
How to export it? i can export it just on p3d and i can't import that format.
Oh... um... I use 3dsmax. Sorry. :o

I've tried doing it without the import/export thing, but that messes up the scaling of the model.
 Darth_ToMeR
11-25-2004, 9:39 AM
Oh... um... I use 3dsmax. Sorry. :o

I've tried doing it without the import/export thing, but that messes up the scaling of the model.
Is 3dsmax can read p3d? If it is, can i use it to import the p3d file and export it as 3ds (or how this format called)?
 Darth333
11-25-2004, 9:39 AM
For modeling tutorials, check here: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134510)
 Darth_ToMeR
11-25-2004, 9:45 AM
Originally posted by Darth333
For modeling tutorials, check here: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134510)
I didn't read all but i think it won't help, because that thread is about modeling tuturials and i got problem with exporting the model.
 TemporaryTomato
11-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Is 3dsmax can read p3d? If it is, can i use it to import the p3d file and export it as 3ds (or how this format called)?
Is p3d the only format you can use?
As long as you can export it and import it again, it shouldn't matter...
 cchargin
11-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello,

Darth_ToMeR are you using gmax and the latest version of nwmax?

If so, send me your gmax file and I will take a look at it.

You can get my e-mail address from the MDLOps readme.

Are you only having problems with this particular model, or can you not export any models to an ascii .mdl?

If you can not export any models, are you sure that "nwsnoop" is running? The best way to make sure it is running is to run gmax using the nwmax icon that should be on your desktop after installing nwmax.
 Darth_ToMeR
11-26-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by cchargin
Hello,

Darth_ToMeR are you using gmax and the latest version of nwmax?

If so, send me your gmax file and I will take a look at it.

You can get my e-mail address from the MDLOps readme.

Are you only having problems with this particular model, or can you not export any models to an ascii .mdl?

If you can not export any models, are you sure that "nwsnoop" is running? The best way to make sure it is running is to run gmax using the nwmax icon that should be on your desktop after installing nwmax.
I'm using NWmax v0.5beta, is this the latest version?
As for now, this is the only model i can't export. And yes, i'm running gmax from the NWmax icon.
Also, what is the difference between gmax and 3dsmax?
 TemporaryTomato
11-26-2004, 7:09 AM
Also, what is the difference between gmax and 3dsmax?

3dsmax is the "professional", and very expensive, program.
Gmax is basically 3dsmax on a diet. Not as many functions, but it's free.

Hey moderators, look at the incredible dancing elephants! :p

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

[/distraction]

:darthx
Nice try! Did you really think dancing Elephants could distract us? Did they as well "fell off the back of a truck" ? - edited by Darth333
 Darth_ToMeR
11-26-2004, 7:43 AM
3dsmax is the "professional", and very expensive, program.
Gmax is basically 3dsmax on a diet. Not as many functions, but it's free.

Hey moderators, look at the incredible dancing elephants! :p

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

[/distraction]

:darthx
Nice try! Did you really think dancing Elephants could distract us? Did they as well "fell off the back of a truck" ? - edited by Darth333
But 3dsmax got all the functions of gmax?
 TemporaryTomato
11-26-2004, 9:08 AM
But 3dsmax got all the functions of gmax?
I think so, except maybe for that file format you mentioned.

:guybrush:
No, I didn't think elephants could fool anyone, I was just checking if you mods had any sense of humor... ;) Since I'm still posting here, I'm gonna assume you do. :cool: :D
Page: 1 of 1