Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JKA community is dying (oh! the nostalgia!)

Page: 1 of 1
 Nuke
10-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Just want to know if there are any plans, to prevent the JKA-com from fading away? The facts speak a clear language:

Number of ligafights per day go down rapidly from an alltime high that reached the order of magnitude of counter strike, and other block buster. Community sites plan closing, many former top players stop playing ....

I know that raven is busy with Q4, thats why the product JKA is now disgested, e.g. no further investment into patches that repair the spin-on hit kills or pokes, right?
 razorace
10-21-2004, 1:06 AM
Man, we've gotten at least one "JKA is dieing" post a week since the month after the game came out.

Games get old, so...yeah, JKA is going to be losing players over time. However, since JKA is still quite unique in the gaming universe, I don't see it "dieing out" for some time.
 txa1265
10-21-2004, 1:08 AM
Cool.

It has been *days* since we had a good 'Chicken Little' thread ... ;)

Seriously, though ... neither JKII or JA *EVER* put up CS type numbers, or even MoH numbers, which was representative of the second tier when JKII came out ...

Mike
 Nuke
10-21-2004, 3:00 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
Cool.

It has been *days* since we had a good 'Chicken Little' thread ... ;)

Seriously, though ... neither JKII or JA *EVER* put up CS type numbers, or even MoH numbers, which was representative of the second tier when JKII came out ...

Mike

Ure wrong, when JKA came out, it did reach the order of magnitude of counterstrike 1on1 matches after 2-3 months or so in the european Electronic Sports League. It was the 3rd most played league game in the ESL. I cant remember who was at place 2.

b-sides our different interpretation of "dying" the real point is: Is raven/lucas arts gonna make anything? So I guess the answer is "no", right?
 txa1265
10-21-2004, 5:03 AM
Originally posted by Nuke
Ure wrong, when JKA came out, it did reach the order of magnitude of counterstrike 1on1 matches after 2-3 months or so in the european Electronic Sports League. It was the 3rd most played league game in the ESL. I cant remember who was at place 2. Ok, I was talking general numbers, like on GameSpy. On which CounterStrike has more than 60,000 players at any given time, a few WWII shooters have ~5,000, and I don't believe JKII or JA ever had more than ~2000-2500.
b-sides our different interpretation of "dying" the real point is: Is raven/lucas arts gonna make anything? So I guess the answer is "no", right? That I believe to be true. Raven is busy with other stuff, as is LucasArts. The Jedi series on the Q3 engine is done, or so it seems. As for what comes next, perhaps there will be some indication by E3 ... of 2006 ...

Mike
 Nuke
10-21-2004, 6:08 AM
Needless to say ... its a bit sad, as you know its the only "lightsaber-multiplayer -ego-shooter" so I think its not so nice to let the community and the game down after only 1 year whithout relasing a substitue. To be onest I am a bit sry that I bought it ... allthough I must admit its the ideal mixture of genres for me ...

Maybe lucas arts and raven is neglecting the MP-Part of the game which was very very promissing.

However i stopped to play because you really need to poke (this one-hit-mouse-whiggle-moves) and therefore you need a very high mouse sensitivity, which destroyes my aiming in other games.

Currently there are still 312 players in the ESL Ladder, and about 290 in the German Ladder. Four months ago it was about 800.

well however I assume that a small team is working on a jedi knight version on the doom 3 engine. But I believe that the whole story will end quite similar as compared to JK2 and JKA. Raven and Lucasarts simply do not take the MP-Part serious ...

And BTW I really do not know any JKA player that uses GameSpy .... ^^
 Agen
10-21-2004, 7:11 AM
Every JK game is always dying seemingly. Fact is the game reached it's peak and never ever had as many players as CS. Not even in the same league.

How many great players have actually quit? 1? 2? I can only think of 1 off the top of my head.

:- P
 Vagabond
10-21-2004, 7:16 AM
Wow, Agen_Terminator, now that's a name I've not seen in a long, long time - nice to see you again :cool:

(there is no spoon, there is no spoon...)
 Agen
10-21-2004, 7:37 AM
Wow, Agen_Terminator, now that's a name I've not seen in a long, long time - nice to see you again

Hehe, Hello :D Long time no see indeed.
 acdcfanbill
10-21-2004, 7:51 AM
o_O

anyway, ppl have been saying JK games die for as long as i remimber, but im still playing :)
 Neverhoodian
10-21-2004, 8:06 AM
No, Jedi Academy is not dead. I've never really understood the logic to these types of statements. As long as a game has a single player mode, they will never be truly dead. Remember, games haven't always had online multiplayer modes. Many timeless classics like Super Mario Bros., Asteroids, Pac Man, Wolfenstein 3D, and Final Fantasy VII don't have online MP matches.

Even games without any MP community to speak of anymore are not dead. For example, I still play Jedi Knight (a game that's well nigh impossible to find anyone playing MP) for its SP mode quite frequently. The only way for a game to be truly "dead" is if all copies of it have been destroyed and all traces of it are removed from the face of the earth, a fate that has claimed very few games indeed.
 Zappa_0
10-21-2004, 8:46 AM
JA is not dying, its still in its prime. JA still has 2 or 3 years to go.
 Nuke
10-21-2004, 8:55 AM
Sry to bring you this uncomfortable news, but JKA just died ^^

The point is there will be no improvements, bugs will not be removed. Since there where no good players in US anyway, there will be no quits of good players. In continental europe this looks quite different, just go and ask the top 10 League players, they all got bored and upset about the way the community is treated.
 Prime
10-21-2004, 9:07 AM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
No, Jedi Academy is not dead. I've never really understood the logic to these types of statements. As long as a game has a single player mode, they will never be truly dead. Remember, games haven't always had online multiplayer modes. Many timeless classics like Super Mario Bros., Asteroids, Pac Man, Wolfenstein 3D, and Final Fantasy VII don't have online MP matches. Indeed. I still play X-Wing Alliance fairly often.
 Nokill
10-21-2004, 9:14 AM
i even play Dark Forces evry month and i stil see ppl that also do the same evry time ^.^
 Agen
10-21-2004, 9:47 AM

The point is there will be no improvements, bugs will not be removed. Since there where no good players in US anyway, there will be no quits of good players. In continental europe this looks quite different, just go and ask the top 10 League players, they all got bored and upset about the way the community is treated.

Oh man, what are you rabbling about? The US has hundreds of great players. I could name many but hey.. I can't be bothered.
The top 10 players of what league? The way the community is treated.. AKA the way every game is treated?

There are few bugs left and i for one, don't want any patches to 'improve' things. We all know what happened with JK2...
 Vagabond
10-21-2004, 9:48 AM
Oh my God, acdcfanbill...talk about a walk down memory lane...if I recall correctly, didn't you once contact me asking how you could go about publishing articles at LucasForums? I think it was you, anyway - I could be mistaken.

In any event, I definitely remember you.

Now all we need is for Stormhammer, Wilhuf, and OnlyOneCanoli to show up and we'll have a family reunion :cool:

Okay...sorry about the off-topic comments - I've been out of it for a while, and it's just cool to see familiar people, from days long past.
 razorace
10-21-2004, 10:46 AM

Well, there are plenty of third party mods that do that sort of thing. And some of them have even received unofficial help from Raven. However, Raven doesn't have the authority or the finances to release wave after wave of patches/additions when JKA isn't the cash cow that MMORPGs or CS are.
 The_One
10-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond
Oh my God, acdcfanbill...talk about a walk down memory lane...if I recall correctly, didn't you once contact me asking how you could go about publishing articles at LucasForums? I think it was you, anyway - I could be mistaken.

In any event, I definitely remember you.

Now all we need is for Stormhammer, Wilhuf, and OnlyOneCanoli to show up and we'll have a family reunion :cool:

Okay...sorry about the off-topic comments - I've been out of it for a while, and it's just cool to see familiar people, from days long past.

I could get ed_silvergun into that mix too ;) Aren't you the infamous "rudder and pedals man"?

Anyway, onto the topic, remember you still have the Dark Forces Mod to look forward to...
 Mercenary
10-21-2004, 1:34 PM
The number of players will decrease, naturally, but the Jedi Knight series has a loyal following and it'll be alive for a while yet. Look at JK, it's still around and people are still making mods for it.
 Sam Fisher
10-21-2004, 2:31 PM
Man, the game is still going well, not dying like you say.

I even play it for like an hour every month :p

Seriously now, I do play it a lot, I like dueling.

But I'm on a Morrowind craze right now.
 Vagabond
10-21-2004, 4:33 PM
Originally posted by The_One
I could get ed_silvergun into that mix too ;) Aren't you the infamous "rudder and pedals man"?

Anyway, onto the topic, remember you still have the Dark Forces Mod to look forward to...

That would be me, in the flesh :cool: And it truly is superior ;) So, The_One, has that always been your name, or might I have known you by another?

But yes, ed_silvergun is another ghost from the past. I'm almost feeling like I need to go to Stonehenge and channel in the lost Jedi, from a more civilized age.

But here's the real test - do you still remember the passing of "Galactic Plumberman"? ...may he rest in peace...
 Obi_Kwiet
10-21-2004, 7:58 PM
Not dead, stupid.
 Nokill
10-21-2004, 8:48 PM
"if JKA comunety is dead where do we come from then???" :confused:
 acdcfanbill
10-21-2004, 9:24 PM
yea vag, you wrote a short story about kyle, which in turn inspired me to write a few chapters ;) *goes digging*

http://www.jediknightii.net/fan_bounties001.shtml)

haha, i only wrote that back in 01 ;)
 JDKnite188
10-22-2004, 4:51 AM
The JA community is dying because, as people have stated, the game is basically getting old. Many have left multiplayer. Very few people are making mods (compare to JK's time). Just because one person plays Single Player frequently, it doesn't mean that community isn't deteriorating.
 Vagabond
10-22-2004, 5:30 AM
Heh, rock on acdcfanbill :cool:
 Kurgan
10-22-2004, 7:57 PM
Okay right now there are "only" 736 servers with 503 players on JA (according to ASE, which is nearly twice the number of JK2 servers/players on right now).

The numbers fluctuate up and down. I checked it a few weeks ago and it was up to over 1400 servers, IIRC (which was up from the 600 or so it had for awhile).

Yeah, no way did JA or JK2 ever have the numbers of CounterStrike, which is in the tens of thousands.

But that's fine. Not every game can be counterstrike (and counterstrike has basically been the teething ring for Half Life 2 for the past 6 years, released over and over again, etc.).

I see no clear evidence of the JA community "dying."

Some people quit, new people join, others keep playing.

The whole "h0n0rz" crap was present from day 1 (carryover from the JK2 community), sadly.

But just as people declared the game dead within days of its release, well... we're still here!

Enjoy it. ;) If it's not fun for you, leave... that's what games are all about. Nobody is forcing you to stay. If being the #1 most popular game is what matters to you, join the CounterStrike community or one of the MMORPG's with its tens or hundreds of thousands of players.

Until something comes along that does everything JK2/JA does, only better, there's little reason to assume it will die out. Star Wars is a powerful "force" (pardon the pun), and people are still making mods for JK1, even after all these years.

Btw, this really is a trip down memory lane, thanks for that guys! And just 'cause Raven hasn't released any new patches in a year doesn't mean the game can never have "bugs removed." Ever seen OJP? People are workin' on it man! Lots of good mods are done or in the works.
 TK-425
10-24-2004, 4:23 AM
Yes, I agree with kergan, although the game isnt as huge as it was great mods like Dark Forces, Open Jedi Project...etc are very big deals and may bring back those who choose to quit I dont know but just maybe.
I to was faced with this same question a few weeks ago after TK-8252 told me he didnt want enything to do with JA and my posts arent being answered as fast as other times:D But ppl are joining ppl are still playing to a certain degree and you will still see me scanning across the threads:D Even though ppl go play other games dosent make them stop playing JA as razorace said it hase great SP and big mods will make it better plus you have the replayability factor with choosing your oun player players still may come back even though thay are playing somthing els right now but you probably will never see the same numbers as before
:trooper:
 The_One
10-24-2004, 2:28 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond
That would be me, in the flesh :cool: And it truly is superior ;) So, The_One, has that always been your name, or might I have known you by another?

But yes, ed_silvergun is another ghost from the past. I'm almost feeling like I need to go to Stonehenge and channel in the lost Jedi, from a more civilized age.

But here's the real test - do you still remember the passing of "Galactic Plumberman"? ...may he rest in peace...

I'm ed's brother. I wasn't around much when he was still here - but I did lurk a lot (right back to the days of Obi Wan, actually).

Anyway, I'm sure this'll bring back a few memories:

http://darkforces.jediknight.net/rich/gp2.gif)

You probably don't remember *me* from back then, but I know ed was one of the old 'uns. I'm best known now for being the friendly face of the Dark Forces Mod :p But I'm sure I could convince him to get on here for a family reunion!
 Vagabond
10-24-2004, 2:37 PM
Sweet, The_One. I love the pic of "Galactic Plumberman" - yes, that brings back memories. And tell your bro, "ed", to get his butt over here and post :cool:
 JDKnite188
10-24-2004, 3:01 PM
I have always been curious about one thing. Did the Raven developers ever do research to enhance their sequels by playing the original JK (and even MotS)? The original and its expansion pack are quite different from JO and JA. Let's see here . . .

JK/MotS

Big maps with new Star Wars environments
Civilians and many alien species
JK: Drawn out plot with bosses
MotS: Mission-oriented gameplay
[/list=1]

JO/JA
[list]
Relatively small maps, locations mostly from the movies, little improvement in architecture in comparison to predecessors (although JA is an exception)
No civilians, limited NPCs (although JA did improve this)
JO: Drawn out plot with bosses
JA: Mission-oriented gameplay
 Prime
10-25-2004, 7:52 AM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
No civilians, limited NPCs That was one thing I really missed in JO/JA. JK did a great job with "random" NPCs to populate the world.
 JediLiberator
10-25-2004, 1:39 PM
Ahh someone else mentioned mots. I just felt like I aged backward a few years. JDKnite188 gets the old man hat now. :p

Yeah, it'll probably be a few more years till the next JK game comes out. Until then I guess RC,Battlefront, and KOTOR 2 will have to keep us occupied. Maybe we'll see another X-wing game. That would rock.:cool: :x-wing:
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-25-2004, 1:51 PM
Originally posted by JediLiberator
...Maybe we'll see another X-wing game. That would rock.:cool: :x-wing:

Coming out the day after tomorrow (Oct. 27):

http://premium.uploadit.org/Amidala/8.jpg)

http://premium.uploadit.org/Amidala/6.jpg)

http://premium.uploadit.org/Amidala/4.jpg)

http://premium.uploadit.org/Amidala/25.jpg)

http://premium.uploadit.org/Amidala/24.jpg)
 Amidala from Chop Shop
10-25-2004, 1:52 PM
 JediLiberator
10-25-2004, 3:25 PM
Uh MMORPG's need not apply for me. I won't pay monthly for any game. I was talking about an sp flight sim. But it does look cool. Maybe they'll make an NJO flight game. That could be cool. Although the void shield would be a little tricky to operate.
 Tinny
10-25-2004, 3:39 PM
Woah, those are beautiful pics. I hope they're in game.
 Kurgan
10-25-2004, 4:01 PM
Yup, the Star Wars Galaxies commercial Expansion 'Jump to Lightspeed.'

To play that though I'd have to buy SWG and pay the monthly fee, so I won't be playing it, though the graphics (like the rest of SWG) look incredible. It sure would be nice to see a dedicated space flight combat sim though. We really haven't gotten one like that on the PC since X-Wing Alliance.
 JDKnite188
10-25-2004, 4:29 PM
Originally posted by JediLiberator
Ahh someone else mentioned mots. I just felt like I aged backward a few years. JDKnite188 gets the old man hat now. :p
. . .

Hehe, yup, I have played all four titles in the series (if you count Dark Forces, one I haven't played, as a separate part of the Katarn saga).

Since I have seen the series evolve over four titles, I would expect an improvement or development on the previous with the next. Unfortunately, this hasn't worked out, and the JK games these days don't have the uniqueness and intricacy of the original and its expansion, making it harder to compete with stellar games like Doom 3 and HL2.

I do have faith in Republic Commando.
 Nokill
10-25-2004, 8:49 PM
it looks a lot like freelancer :eek:
maby thay used some of it ;)
 JediLiberator
10-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Yeah now that you mention it it does look like Freelancer. At least the starfield and background stuff anyway. But freelancer got kind of repetitive after a while. I wish they'd come up with a flight sim that got into the actual manuevers of fighter combat. Instead of just dumping you in combat and saying, this is the fire button, here's you throttle and... oh you figure it all out!
So far I think it will either be RC or KOTOR that will claim the best new star wars game. It depends on whether they screw up RC somehow. Gotta love the process of elimination eh? ^^
 Nokill
10-26-2004, 8:41 PM
well its SW shod never bore anyone =)

only the freelancer mod SW dit =/
 acdcfanbill
10-27-2004, 5:18 PM
i feel that the JTL expansion is a slap in the face to all of use xwing series fans. I certianly wont be getting it because i hate rpgs and i hate monthly fees.
 Tinny
10-28-2004, 4:40 AM
hmm, i wonder how a space sim will work out in an mmorpg. *rolling a d3, lands, oooh i now summon Cpt. Jean Luc Picard and his Starship enterprise*. *rolls d2, Death Star transforms to Unicron*.
 Prime
10-28-2004, 7:35 AM
I don't think there are any "dice rolls" for the JTL portion at least. I think it is essentially FPS-esque.
 Slayer_X
11-09-2004, 1:27 PM
I can't find JKA servers :P
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-09-2004, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by Slayer_X
I can't find JKA servers :P

You don't need to post that in every thread. Be patient, someone will help you.
Page: 1 of 1