Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Re-mapping the DF keys?

Page: 1 of 1
 •-BLaCKouT-•
10-16-2004, 9:06 AM
Hey peeps,
I'm running Dark Forces on Windows XP. I can't get it to 'install', but I've copied the files to my HDD and it's running fine.

Thing is, I can't find an option anywhere to redefine the keys. Or, for that matter, to tell me where the keys actually all are.
I thought it may be in the 'configuration' section, but that's just showing me the display settings and a joystick calibration option.

And yes, I've got the original DF cd, but I got it on Ebay and it came without the instructions, just the CD & Jewel case.

In particular, I'm after binding mouselook to a key (I've read it's possible, but no-one's said what key it's on as default).

So yeah... any thoughts? :)
Cheers in advance...

B.
 Samuel Dravis
10-22-2004, 10:50 AM
I saw where the key config was a while back...I think that it wasn't actually in the DF game; there was another program you had to use to set it up.

Ahh, here's a link (http://www.geocities.com/darkforces_faq/dftext5.html#DF91). Hope it helps. :) Try finding the remap menu first though, I know it's there somewhere. I'd find it myself, but I don't have DF installed right now.
 •-BLaCKouT-•
10-23-2004, 6:14 AM
Many thanks for that SD! :D

Although I did get it sorted, I just didn't get round to posting it [/blush]

It turns out there are (at least) two versions of Dark Forces:
The version dated 16 February 1995 which I couldn't install in XP (above).
The version dated 13 March 1995, which installs fine and has setup.exe once it's installed - you can change the key config from there ;)

The later version has df95.exe in the root directory (so you know which one you've got).

Every day's a school day, eh? :D

B.
 MikeGunther1969
10-23-2004, 8:34 PM
does this "second version" play any better in XP than the original? IF not , how about under an emulator?
 •-BLaCKouT-•
10-24-2004, 9:31 AM
It works fine in XP mate, but it's basically the same as the first version - I don't notice any difference performance-wise.

As for emulators... don't talk to me about those, I've been having an absolute arse of a time this weekend trying to get DF running under one. Actually, truth be told, I'm just having trouble getting an emulator to run. Period.

But it shells out to DOS and you can Alt+Tab back into XP so no probs there.

B.
Page: 1 of 1