Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Found the old (non-CG) Sy Snootles!

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
10-14-2004, 3:57 PM
On the ROTJ DVD, I found the old puppet in Jabba's palace used for the "Sy Snootles" character (the yellow alien with the weird mouth that sings).

The shot, a pan right shortly before the "Jedi Rocks" music number:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/sysnoot1.jpg)

Closeup:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/sysnoot2.jpg)

You can even make out the "feather headdress" she's wearing (which the CG version doesn't have)!

Here's a pic of the full puppet:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-vi/classic/2001/03/classic20010305_snapshot.html)
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-14-2004, 4:00 PM
Could you brighten the pics, its kind of hard to see.

I will check the DVD though!
 Kurgan
10-14-2004, 4:06 PM
Unfortunately I can't really, not without losing too much detail. Check the pic I linked to on Starwars.com.

It's her, I tell you, unchanged from the 1983 version!
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-14-2004, 4:19 PM
Yes! I can confirm that it is in fact there (just watched it). I wonder if they didn't notice that she was there, or if they thought they would leave it, just to say its there (if that makes any sense)?
 Kurgan
10-14-2004, 4:42 PM
I dunno, the latest theory I've been working in my head about all the SE and other changes Lucas has been making to the movie is something along these lines:

Every change they make costs a ton of money to look make it look like it fits, so they choose their shots very carefully, focusing on the ones the average viewer is going to notice, rather than a frame by frame Star Wars geek like one of us. ; )

Still, one wonders why they didn't just make all the radical changes all at once, but perhaps Lucas was afraid of going TOO FAR and losing the audience, so he'd rather spread out the changes to get people to accept them, then make more later, etc.

Or it could be that they just aren't that meticulous, and he just does it every few years so he can have a good excuse to sell everyone another copy of his most famous products. But I am thinking it's just cheaper for them to focus on the shots that are most obvious first and foremost.
 coupes.
10-14-2004, 5:16 PM
I think the reason might simply be that a CG Sy Snootles on that shot would look very much like the original one, she's pretty small in the frame which is also very dark. Therefore thay didn't replace her.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-14-2004, 5:46 PM
That is true, although if you know it is there it is actually very easy to see. Kind of like the stormtrooper hitting his head. I didn't notice it for years, then someone told me, and now I can't miss it!
 coupes.
10-14-2004, 6:11 PM
Yeah, but now it's even easier to spot, they added a sound effect in the DVD, like they did with Jango in AotC.
 Kurgan
10-14-2004, 7:28 PM
Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.
Yeah, but now it's even easier to spot, they added a sound effect in the DVD, like they did with Jango in AotC.

Yeah, Lucas must have heard the joke about how he was going to add a Homer Simpson-esque "d'oh!" voice clip to the Super Duper Special Editions.

A "bonk" sound was closer to his original vision. Heh...
Page: 1 of 1