Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

water reflection (using jpg screenshot)

Page: 1 of 1
 sith-j
10-11-2004, 1:23 AM
hey, I have been playing around with trying to get a better water effect using a jpg screenshot of the map as the reflection on the water surface.

so far I have managed to get the right amount of movement on the water surface using sin, and I have a nice ripple effect using a couple of scrolling ripple textures with an alpha channel, now all I need to have the jpg screenshot act like a reflection.

how i see it is that the reflection should work in the same was as a sky shader so that the reflection always stays the same distance away from the player just like a normal reflection would, and like the sky textures do...

any ideas, posts relevent to this issue, I cannot use the search function here for some reason, I hope this makes sence.
 wedge2211
10-11-2004, 10:20 AM
If you check out rgoer's Sunset on Coruscant map, he made some reflective water in the same way that you make "shiny" mettallic surfaces--by mapping the "reflection" texture stage with tcGen environment. I think if you want the reflection to appear flat, and not distorted by the environment-mapping, you have to run it through a sphere filter in PhotoShop or something. Somebody else can expand on that since I don't have the experience with it...
Page: 1 of 1