Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Observations from the screens

Page: 1 of 1
 JediConsularAD
10-10-2004, 2:15 AM
i have noticed that taht annoying little galaxy droid that appears from the glitch on the original kotor has made a return as you will see from this screen

Let have a look then (http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/679/679264/img_2311224.html)

Also have you noticed that the ebon hawk just seems to get plonked everywhere instead of going in to proper stations.

i would also like to say that all of the locations are quite dark and dingy and would like the return of the more hosptible planets like tatooine or mannan.
 Achilles
10-10-2004, 2:55 AM
That particular droid model was actually used several places in the game (Great Walkway on Kashyyyk is the first one that springs to mind). I'm sure that we'll see several of the other models used in KotOR as well as the new models that we've seen in other screens.
 RedHawke
10-10-2004, 2:58 AM
Originally posted by JediConsularAD
i have noticed that taht annoying little galaxy droid that appears from the glitch on the original kotor has made a return as you will see from this screen

Let have a look then (http://media.xbox.ign.com/media/679/679264/img_2311224.html)

That's one of the Security Droids you can find throughout KOTOR, to name a few places that have them would be on Taris (Lower Apartments, Black Vulkar Base) and Kashyyk (Main Walkway).

Also have you noticed that the ebon hawk just seems to get plonked everywhere instead of going in to proper stations.

That's not too odd, if you stop and think about it, it is definately what Smugglers, and all those with ships that want to avoid unwanted attention, do in Star Wars. :D

i would also like to say that all of the locations are quite dark and dingy and would like the return of the more hosptible planets like tatooine or mannan.

KOTOR:TSL is supposed to have a darker tone... so how could OE set that tone with bright and shiny planets? :confused:

I think TSL is going to be a little like TESB in that it too had a darker tone, and the dark and inhospitable environments helped to set that tone.
 Achilles
10-10-2004, 3:02 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
KOTOR:TSL is supposed to have a darker tone... so how could OE set that tone with bright and shiny planets? :confused:

I think TSL is going to be a little like TESB in that it too had a darker tone, and the dark and inhospitable environments helped to set that tone. ^^^^ Agreed.

I'm looking forward to something edgier than the first. While I think KotOR had a great story, I also think that a lot of potential was lost.
 RedHawke
10-10-2004, 3:09 AM
Originally posted by Achilles
I'm looking forward to something edgier than the first. While I think KotOR had a great story, I also think that a lot of potential was lost.

*Nods Head In Agreement*

Me too... :D

And as far as lost potential in KOTOR goes, every door that didn't open was lost potential, especially in an RPG, for me there were almost too many of those... I seriously hope to have no unopenable doors in KOTOR:TSL.

That goes both metaphorically and physically in game. :D

To clairify what I mean, in PnP RPG's if, as the Game Master (The one creating the world/story), the party (Player Characters) says to you that they want to open a door, one you hadn't planned on them opening (Big Mistake), and you then respond with "Oh that door can't be opened", that is just a lame cop-out for the GM's inability to flesh out their world.

As an expirienced PnP RPG GM I know a ton of those cop-outs too, the more expirienced you are the less of these cop-outs you will use, you can tell a vetran GM, a vetran GM will never use one of these "cop-outs" but instead cleverly steer the party where they wish to go.

The cave on Korriban is a classic and actually had me rolling on the floor laughing my behind off...
[This cave exit leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.]
A classic GM cop-out! :D
 JediConsularAD
10-10-2004, 3:10 AM
i know you are right now.
do you know how many planets are going to be in tsl? and space stations?
 RedHawke
10-10-2004, 3:32 AM
i know you are right now.
do you know how many planets are going to be in tsl? and space stations?

There are seven confirmed planets in TSL, space stations I have no idea, hopefully a couple. :D
 JediConsularAD
10-10-2004, 3:38 AM
that cave annoys me so much as someone said an old hermit lived out there.
 RedHawke
10-10-2004, 3:44 AM
that cave annoys me so much as someone said an old hermit lived out there.

No.. not there...

Jorak Uln, the hermit, lives in the Tomb of Tulak Hord, he tortures you along with Mekel.
 Achilles
10-10-2004, 3:52 AM
that cave annoys me so much as someone said an old hermit lived out there. For someone that doesn't feel negative emotions, that sure seems like a heck of a trigger for annoyance.

Have you had an opportunity to view the walkthough posted on the Gamebanshee site? Based on some of the messages that you've posted, I really think it can help you to answer some of your questions for yourself.

Here's the link:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotor/walkthrough.php)

I hope that helps.
 PoM
10-10-2004, 7:41 AM
"The cave on Korriban is a classic and actually had me rolling on the floor laughing my behind off... "

What about [The cave exit looks to scary for you to enter, plus: A Gigantic rancor is waiting for anyone who enters (not good for the sith guys you just saved) and in other words it would be best if you stayed away from it and continued on your mission...or else...]
 Rogue15
10-10-2004, 10:37 AM
it'd be cool if they put 'ord mandrell' plant in. and see why it's a junkyard planet.
 JediConsularAD
10-10-2004, 12:24 PM
thanks for the help guys i am going to concentrate on side missions more next time i play it.
 Prime
10-12-2004, 7:16 AM
Have you had an opportunity to view the walkthough posted on the Gamebanshee site? Based on some of the messages that you've posted, I really think it can help you to answer some of your questions for yourself.

Here's the link:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotor/walkthrough.php)

I hope that helps. That entire site is very helpful and informative, not just the walkthrough. :)
 RedHawke
10-12-2004, 8:51 PM
Originally posted by Prime
That entire site is very helpful and informative, not just the walkthrough. :)

Indeed! :D

If it wasn't for that site I would probably still be stuck on Taris wondering how to get past the Rancor.
(The thought never occured to me about putting a grenade and the scent in the pile of bones! It had been a while since I played an RPG.)
:roleyess:
 Achilles
10-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Indeed! :D

If it wasn't for that site I would probably still be stuck on Taris wondering how to get past the Rancor.
(The thought never occured to me about putting a grenade and the scent in the pile of bones! It had been a while since I played an RPG.)
:roleyess: How do you think I found it? :D

Felt pretty stupid when I read about that little trick. It's a shame there weren't more little goodies like that one in the game :(
 RedHawke
10-12-2004, 10:38 PM
How do you think I found it? :D

Felt pretty stupid when I read about that little trick. It's a shame there weren't more little goodies like that one in the game :(

Yes it is. Thats why Taris is my favorite planet, it is the most developed of the group, something I sincerely hope OE will correct in TSL, being we have higher level limits and prestiege classes, I believe this will be so.

*Crosses Fingers*

:D
 stingerhs
10-13-2004, 7:13 AM
Yes it is. Thats why Taris is my favorite planet, it is the most developed of the group, something I sincerely hope OE will correct in TSL, being we have higher level limits and prestiege classes, I believe this will be so.

*Crosses Fingers*

^^^agreed

*sticks lucky rabbits foot in pocket*

lukeiamyourdad
10-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Am I the only one who read the datapad that came with the scent bottles and immediately made the connection?
 Achilles
10-13-2004, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Am I the only one who read the datapad that came with the scent bottles and immediately made the connection? Err...prolly. All I thought was "Oooo.....monster. Let's shoot it!" when my auto pause kicked in.

Actually, I managed to sneak past him using Mission, but couldn't do much once I opened the doors and killed the two Vulkars inside. I tried to sneak back, but the glitch that allowed me to sneak in wouldn't allow me to sneak out. At that point I gave up and went Googling for a walkthrough.
 RedHawke
10-13-2004, 9:21 PM
Am I the only one who read the datapad that came with the scent bottles and immediately made the connection?
Or you are just one of the few and the proud! :D

I was in shoot first and figure out puzzle later mode... just like Achilles was... too much Quake III Arena before I played KOTOR! :mob:
 16_BIT
10-13-2004, 9:42 PM
being we have higher level limits and prestiege classes, I believe this will be so.
Really? :eek:

I did! I did! :p
 RedHawke
10-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by 16_BIT
Really? :eek:

I would have asked what planet you are from but I see you are new... so I'll explain. :D

In KOTOR:TSL the levels we can attain will be beyond 20 (I'm thinking 40 because that is what standard D20 epic classes go to), and we start out as a Level 1 Jedi and we get to choose from Guradian, Sentinel, and Counselar at the beginning.

During the game we will also get the opportunity to choose from one of 6 Prestiege Classes depending on how we are playing the game LS or DS.

The Prestiege Classes are (DS);
Sith Marauder
Sith Assassin
Sith Lord

And the Prestiege Classes are (LS);
Jedi Weapon Master
Jedi Watchman
Jedi Master

I hope this helps to explain things better! :D
 16_BIT
10-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Cool, those are some of the ones from the PnP books. :D But I didnt see a WotC anything in KotOR...dont they have a copy right on the rules? D20 in particular?
 stingerhs
10-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Or you are just one of the few and the proud! :D

I was in shoot first and figure out puzzle later mode... just like Achilles was... too much Quake III Arena before I played KOTOR! :mob:

quake III??? :eyeraise:

people still play that artifact??? granted, i'm the one to talk, having just ran out to buy "aliens vs. predator: 2"...:rolleyes:
 RedHawke
10-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Those are some of the ones from the PnP books. :D But I didnt see a WotC anything in KotOR...dont they have a copy right on the rules? D20 in particular?
:eyeraise: Uh... KOTOR most definately uses the D20 system, and is properly licenced to do so. When you start KOTOR on your PC or Xbox there should even be a WOTC splash screen.
Originally posted by stingerhs
quake III???:eyeraise:
And yes stingerhs... Quake III... it may be a relic... but it still kicks some butt! I still play Doom I and II as well. :D
 stingerhs
10-13-2004, 10:39 PM
And yes stingerhs... Quake III... it may be a relic... but it still kicks some butt! I still play Doom I and II as well. :D

didn't say they were bad, just old. :p

and i am also fully aware that jko and ja used the quake III engine...

which is why those games took hits in the graphics department in the reviews.

and i also have to say that doom I/II are the best of the classic fps. :D
 Prime
10-14-2004, 7:19 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
and i am also fully aware that jko and ja used the quake III engine...

which is why those games took hits in the graphics department in the reviews. Actually, I don't remember JO taking any hits for graphics in the reviews. IIRC everyone thought it looked very pretty at the time. Still does, IMO.
 16_BIT
10-14-2004, 9:04 AM
:eyeraise: Uh... KOTOR most definately uses the D20 system, and is properly licenced to do so. When you start KOTOR on your PC or Xbox there should even be a WOTC splash screen.

KotOR uses D20 ya, thats obvious in feats and skills, ect, but I dont get a WotC splash, ever, in the game, only Lucas Arts and BioWare, havent seen a WotC anything, anywhere while Ive been playing it... There isnt even a mention of WotC on the lower left hand corner of my KotOR box... :confused:
 stingerhs
10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Actually, I don't remember JO taking any hits for graphics in the reviews. IIRC everyone thought it looked very pretty at the time. Still does, IMO.

hmm, maybe it was just me after playing farcry and halo on the high graphics settings...:rolleyes:
 RedHawke
10-14-2004, 8:27 PM
KotOR uses D20 ya, thats obvious in feats and skills, ect, but I dont get a WotC splash, ever, in the game, only Lucas Arts and BioWare, havent seen a WotC anything, anywhere while Ive been playing it... There isnt even a mention of WotC on the lower left hand corner of my KotOR box... :confused:

I had one (I could have swore it was there... hmm... could that have been the NWN startup... hmm) anyway what does it really matter?

KOTOR and KOTOR:TSL are using the D20 system, and even though I think D20 is the worst rules system to ever grace an RPG (this includes GURPS), I'm quite sure that KOTOR:TSL will be as good or better than KOTOR. :D
 16_BIT
10-14-2004, 8:30 PM
^Dito, hehehehehe:D
Page: 1 of 1