Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Snowspeeders are too hard to kill

Page: 1 of 1
 mrflippy
10-04-2004, 4:28 PM
It seems to be ridiculously difficult to get missile tracking to actually work, and even when it does, the missiles don't track well, and the speeders can outrun the missiles.

I've often seen 3 or 4 speeders out at a time. Even if you do manage to get 1 taken down, the AT-ATs are doomed with even a reasonable pilot in the speeders.
 Iceman_IX
10-04-2004, 4:35 PM
Yeah, they are hard to take down but that's because the missile tracking IS crap. They simply don't track. You have to get a full lock and lead the thing perfectly. Then you'll hit it ONLY if the speeder slows up and doesn't turn dramatically.
 mrflippy
10-04-2004, 9:42 PM
Hitting a snowspeeder with a rocket should detach the tow cable.
 TK-8252
10-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Use the AT-AT's to shoot down the Snowspeeders. When the Snowspeeder is making a pass, lead, and shoot. A direct hit will blow it to pieces.
 mrflippy
10-05-2004, 12:17 PM
The speeders can fly lower than the AT-AT's head can point down.
 TK-8252
10-05-2004, 1:06 PM
Originally posted by mrflippy
The speeders can fly lower than the AT-AT's head can point down.

Yes, but not many people figure this out. Some of the more "unskilled" pilots crash into the ground or the AT-AT's feet in an attempt to avoid the chin-mounted cannons.
 mrflippy
10-05-2004, 5:25 PM
There's also the case when you aren't in an AT-AT. Only 1 person can drive it, and I usually play as a shock trooper anyway. If an AT-AT exists, I can get in 2 or 3 solid hits on a snowspeeder if I'm lucky, and by that time, the AT-AT is dead. There don't seem to be very many people who play shock troopers for some reason, but even if there were more, all it takes is another speeder or sniper to take care of infantry on the ground.

I suppose the answer really is more organization on the imperial's part, but I'm not sure I have time to join a clan, and that would just mean the rebels would be that much more organized as well.

I still think hitting the snowspeeder in the back with a missile should detach the tow cable. I'd probably be happy with that :) Or maybe 2 missiles... the back of the speeder should be sufficiently messed up by then. (Although it'd be awesome if gunner died like in the movie, and the tow cable didn't get detached when the walker went down, and took the speeder with it... haha)
 TK-8252
10-05-2004, 5:37 PM
Originally posted by mrflippy
(Although it'd be awesome if gunner died like in the movie, and the tow cable didn't get detached when the walker went down, and took the speeder with it... haha)

I like. :)
 psych0fred
10-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Missile tracking works great. Once they are in your reticule you have to wait until you see the little diamond lock on. Once that diamond is locked on target (takes about 1.5 seconds from targeting to lock on) the missile will follow it. It takes at least two to take down a snowspeeder. If you have other objects obstructing your targeting you may have to pan away and retarget so it can track the correct object.
 mrflippy
10-07-2004, 1:50 PM
It takes at least two to take down a snowspeeder.

Takes at least 3 or 4 missiles to take down a snowspeeder. I've never been able to completely destroy one with just missiles, but they can take at least 2 or 3 and still be fine.
 Iceman_IX
10-07-2004, 7:55 PM
No, two hits will destroy a speeder. But getting two to hit is very hard and usually takes a large chunk of your ammo.

Missile tracking works great. No it doesn't. You must be insane if you think it works as well as it should. The missile's turn rate is horrible and they can go right by objects that aren't moving. A missile will ONLY hit if the target slows down significantly for an extended period of time.

If you take the time to get a full lock-on you should hit almost 100%.
Page: 1 of 1