Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Difference between Direct Connect and Lan?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darkest Helmet
09-29-2004, 8:42 AM
Can someone explain the difference between "Direct Connect" and connection via "LAN?

Is it a port setting deffeerence?, and if so what do you have to set up for "LAN" play?

Thanks

D'est H
 sTo0z
09-29-2004, 9:30 AM
Not sure how they do it, but typically LAN sets certain options to allow for the high speed connection that is existant in a LAN environment.

I imagine LAN also does not broadcast it's existence to the Internet (thus people cannot browse to it in the server list).

Direct Connect is for people who know your address and want to just connect without searching the Server list in-game.

If you were on a LAN, I don't think you would be worrying about ports.

And specific for this game, people have been reporting non-working Direct Connect with opening ports, so not sure what's up there.

Hopefully I answered your questions, and more importantly hopefully I am correct. :)
 Darkest Helmet
09-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Very informative, thanks sTo0z :)

So, if I understand right its a speed issue. LAN allows for higher speed connectivity. An INTRA-net, vs Direct connect or INTER-net.

Having never dealt with LAN gaming I am just trying to understand the differences. How is the connection made in a LAN environment? I mean, is it IP, like Direct Conn or Internet or does it use some other method like MAC ID?

Bottom line is what prevents me from connecting via LAN, and forces me to connect Internet or Direct Connect?

Thanks
 sTo0z
09-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Some games let you do that actually. :P

Just depends on this particuliar game, which I am unsure of. If specific LAN options are set when you start a LAN game, your internet experience may be very poor.

LAN gaming typically still uses IP for communication, older games used IPX I believe.

Again, I don't really know how the devs set this game up, just have to do trial and error I guess.
Page: 1 of 1