Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Command-line joining not working (ASE, XFire)

Page: 1 of 1
 Iceman_IX
09-27-2004, 2:52 PM
Joining with third-party programs does not ever seem to be successful. Not exactly sure what the problem is but it just usually seems to time-out. I have experienced this with XFire and people are regularly reporting it for ASE, XFire, and Gamespy Browser

Example: I have a long list of servers (Favorites and Recent Servers) on my XFire servers tab. XFire has recently added SWBF compatibility. I go to join one of these servers by double clicking. SWBF starts as usual, i double click my profile, it goes to the GameSpy login sit, I click logon, it goes to "Logging on to Session. Busy..." and eventually times out. Joining any server by in-game browser usually takes 1-11 seconds. I am then kicked back to "Join/Create" screen and hit Join to go to server browser. Game works as normal from there (with a few crashes that I have only noticed while starting the game via XFire).

So it seems like joining via any third party program does not work yet. Behavior is the same with ASE, XFire, etc. This is a serious bug. With the horrible quality of the in-game browser we are forced to use other programs. Moreover, these programs are popular and do extra programming (I have my own list of favorites, a buddy list, etc.) so that studios (like Valve, Pandemic, etc.) don't have to. Very nice programs, I enjoy the integration and it's why they are so popular. If we can't use these programs effectively and efficiently then the popularity of this game will die out rapidly.

Just another in a long line of online connectivity fixes that needs to occur. Enable this command line joining.

I included a Poll to gauge how effective third party programs really are.
 [RNGD]Tyrant
09-27-2004, 3:48 PM
I prefer to use ASE or Xfire, but i cant get those or GSA to work.

...good thing they have such a sophisticated ingame browser (oh sorry I was thinking of every other game but SWBF)
 Kivan28
09-28-2004, 2:17 PM
Same happens here, REALLY annoying...
 Alegis
10-07-2004, 8:23 AM
Mostly i'm able to connect.
Page: 1 of 1