Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Idea: Brief invunerability to avoid camping

Page: 1 of 1
 WickedBadMan
09-25-2004, 1:24 PM
Biggest annoyance for me: to wait 10 seconds to be spawned so I can nubbed by someone camping a spawn and not capturing.
 Iceman_IX
09-25-2004, 4:33 PM
Yes, this is a huge problem on maps like Dune sea, Mos Eisley and the like. On Dune sea, a person in a Rebel tank can sit behind the Imperial start point and waste people with rockets/lazers. I suggested this and I hope they fix spawn killing somehow.

It happens most on maps like Dune Sea where there are heavy vehicles and open spawn areas where you can sit behind the spawn point.
 LoQ
09-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Yep, same problem here. I spawn and the very moment I spawn, before I even move my characer, I am dead. Not even time to flinch! Victim of a spawn camper!

Five to ten seconds of invulnerabilty would be fine. That fixed the same issue in Jedi Academy, Aliens ve Predator 2, etc (the list just goes on and on). So I don't see why it wouldn't fix it here. And to be honest Pandemic, you guys should have really seen this one coming. Don't you guys play any online games on your own? This is a common problem with a very common fix! So common that this should have never been an issue to begin with. :swear:
 TK-8252
09-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Or maybe if someone is "spawn camping" you can just select a different Command Post to spawn at. Problem solved.
 LoQ
09-27-2004, 1:02 PM
Or maybe if someone is "spawn camping" you can just select a different Command Post to spawn at. Problem solved.

Well in theory that sounds good. But one of the many times that my team and I were victim to spawn camping, it was simultaniously happening at THREE spawn points!!! The ONLY three spawn points that were available to us BTW. It was on the Naboo level. Two of them were covered by tanks, and another was covered by one of those hovercraft/missle launcher things. The moment I would spawn.....BAM!!! Dead! So of course I did the only thing that I could do, I simply left the server and went to another.

But the point is that I shouldn't have to go to another spawnpoint for this reason, and sometimes doing that doesn't help anyway.
 TK-8252
09-27-2004, 1:16 PM
That would be VERY uncommon. If something like that did happen, you can always join another server, or maybe if you're feeling on the evil side, join their team and team-kill them.
 LoQ
09-27-2004, 1:23 PM
Yep and that is exactly what I did, I joined another server.

Strictly out of principle there was no way I was going to join the other team. What they were doing was totally lame. There is no skill involved in just parking your vehicle and constantly firing into a spawn point. I mean they weren't even trying to capture these spawn points! They were just constantly firing. I'm guessing they were doing this so they could rack in the score and get a stupid "Public Enemy" and "Killing Spree" award.

Anyway, the whole thing can get solved real easily with 5 seconds of invulnerabilty. ;)
 TK-8252
09-27-2004, 1:29 PM
The problem I see with invulnerability is if someone is trying to capture a Command Post, and you spawn in there with invulnerability, he can't kill you, and therefore loses his chance at capturing the Command Post. Maybe during that five-second invulnerability, you can't use any weapons. That would help.
 LoQ
09-27-2004, 1:47 PM
Good point!

Well there has to be a solution to this problem somewhere. It is real annoying, and the game hasn't even been out for a week. So it is only going to get worse as more and more people buy it. The law of averages is pretty simple on this; The more people who play, more lamers!
 Brodieman
09-28-2004, 8:01 AM
3-5 second invulnerablilty upon spawning, not allowed to use weapons for the same length of time, nor enter vehicles. If the spawning persons wants to fight it out fine, he can wait his 3 seconds and then fight it out, if he wants to run then he should have enough time to run and dive for cover - though that maybe needed to be individually tailored to maps with regards to terrain etcetera.
 Cpt. Bannon
10-01-2004, 4:33 PM
or you could do it like many other games...you have spawn armor for 5 seconds, but if you shoot, you lose it. simple enough, and you dont piss people off by not allowing them to shoot.
Page: 1 of 1