Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What films do you like more? The new or the old?

Page: 1 of 1
 Revan Solo
09-25-2004, 1:55 AM
Do you like the trilogy or Episode 1/2 more? I like the trilogy more but I also like the clone wars.
 MaaZeus
09-25-2004, 3:38 AM
I like them all except Episode 1. That sucked some major balls.
 RDX1
09-25-2004, 3:57 AM
Originally posted by MaaZeus

Yup, I wasn't ever really a Star Wars fan. Jedi Academy pulled me in. :(
 Revan Solo
09-25-2004, 5:55 AM
I like them all except Episode 1. That sucked some major balls. I like Episode 1 not so much. There are some things which are not so good. The story is great but Lucas made this film not so perfect how it is possible! :o
 Jan Gaarni
09-25-2004, 9:27 AM
I didn't quite like Ep. I, it lacked the Star Wars feel and auntenticity of the OT. Ep. II was an improvement, but still wasn't quite up there. So I'm gonna go with the Classic Trilogy.

I have high hopes for Ep. III though, saw an interesting bit from it on the new DVD's. :)

!!WARNING!!
If you own the SE DVD's but don't want to learn anything about Ep. III, then avoid one feature part on the Bonus Disc, which is labeled Ep. III something. :)
 Kurgan
09-25-2004, 6:32 PM
I admit I watched the Episode III "birth of darth vader" short. It was mostly fluff and I had seem most of the footage already in tv spots and ads. It really doesn't give much away, but if you feel better, don't watch it.

I am not a big spoiler guy, but curiosity got the better of me for the one (had my finger on the stop button).

Still I REFUSE to watch the "Episode III Making of the Game" featurette until I've seen the movie. ; )
 Revan Solo
09-26-2004, 1:28 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I admit I watched the Episode III "birth of darth vader" short. It was mostly fluff and I had seem most of the footage already in tv spots and ads. It really doesn't give much away, but if you feel better, don't watch it.

I am not a big spoiler guy, but curiosity got the better of me for the one (had my finger on the stop button).

Still I REFUSE to watch the "Episode III Making of the Game" featurette until I've seen the movie. ; ) When does Ep 3 release?
 Lynk Former
09-26-2004, 2:39 AM
May 25, 2005
 BigBlueBoo
09-26-2004, 5:02 AM
the making of the game has very little spoilers, less so then the birth of darth vader
 Kurgan
09-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Really? Oh ok.

I was kind of pissed that Clone Wars spoiled some things for Episode III, or I might be more spoiler free than I am now. ; P

Oh well. The fact that I don't watch TV saves some of that, since it was nearly impossible to avoid the TPM ad campaign (was turning off the TV every 10 minutes it seemed).

As far as the movies go, here is how I rank them (in my overall "likeness" scale, based on nothing but my personal opinions):

1) ROTJ (best)
2) AOTC & ESB (tie)
3) ANH
4) TPM (worst, but still watchable)

As far as the changes go, the 2004 Editions rule, except I miss the old Ewok song and the old song at Jabba's palace both in ROTJ. I think the SE sabers looked better overall than the new sabers (except during the Obi-Wan vs. Vader battle, which looks great in the 2004 edition). The Hayden Jedi ghost annoys me, but if there's a good (and I mean GOOD) explanation in ROTS I might be willing to let it go. Still, an audience that hasn't seen Episode II and/or III would be confused as to who this guy is and Luke, never having seen his paw as a young man (younger than Luke was at the time even) would not recognize him.

The Boba Fett redubbing was unnecessary, as was the alteration of the Emperor's lines in ESB. However the new Emperor lines aren't necessarily worse, just different. However the old voice actors for both of those areas had more FEELING in their emphasis and sounded better in the SE's. So I kinda miss that.

At least all the un-modified versions of those scenes are still viewable/hearable somewhere on the DVD's (well except the Emperor scene, oh well), either in the trailers or the documentaries.

It would have been nice if Lucas had included a section of "deleted scenes" showing the restored versions of the missing scenes that we all know exist like Biggs & Luke on Tatooine, Tosche station and the Treadwell droid, etc. you can find the ESB missing scenes on the trailers... it would have been nice to have a shot comparison of the modified scenes and a commentary of why it was changed by Lucas. Maybe next time?
 sith_master2000
09-26-2004, 4:01 PM
I like all the films but like a lot of others here I was disappointed in Ep I 'cause of that stupid Gungung JAR JAR BINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate his stupid feeble brain! Anyway I voted for: Like them all.
 Revan Solo
09-27-2004, 3:36 AM
Originally posted by sith_master2000
I like all the films but like a lot of others here I was disappointed in Ep I 'cause of that stupid Gungung JAR JAR BINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate his stupid feeble brain! Anyway I voted for: Like them all. Gungans are in the story. You have to take it how it is. :o
 txa1265
09-27-2004, 4:35 AM
I was kind of pissed that Clone Wars spoiled some things for Episode III, or I might be more spoiler free than I am now. ; P See, I didn't look at those as 'spoilers' as they are kind of a lead-in.
1) ROTJ (best)
2) AOTC & ESB (tie)
3) ANH

Similar for me:
1. AotC
2. ESB (won't wimp out with a 'tie' for 1st ;) )
3. RotJ
4. Star Wars (despite my love of the prequels, I still cling steadfastly to the fact that I saw 'Star Wars', not 'A New Hope' a dozen times in theaters in 1977)
5. TPM

It is interesting that TPM has one of the best pieces of music (Duel of the Phates ;) ) and lightsaber fight scenes in the entire series, yet still falls to the bottom.

Mike
 Sivy
09-27-2004, 4:50 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
I didn't quite like Ep. I, it lacked the Star Wars feel and auntenticity of the OT.

i think it was supposed to be like that.
it was showing a different time, before the empire. i suppose GL wanted to show the contrast of the republic and the empire. for insistence in the OT everything was dirty and used, that was the effect they went for. whereas in the PT everything looks new and clean.
in Ep II it started to feel more like the OT as the republic was being broken apart. i think ep III will have a real OT feel to it.

i love them all but here's my order of preference...

1. ESB
2. AOTC
3. ROTJ
4. TPM
5. ANH

from what i've seen and from what we know i certainly think that ep III will top my list.
 Evil Dark Jedi
09-27-2004, 4:56 AM
I like both but the OT better.
 MaaZeus
09-27-2004, 6:14 AM
I like all the films but like a lot of others here I was disappointed in Ep I 'cause of that stupid Gungung JAR JAR BINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate his stupid feeble brain! Anyway I voted for: Like them all.

Thats one major thing that annoyed me. Another was young "WHOPPIEEEE WOOOHOOOO" Anakin... :mad: "Humor" in EP1 was SOOOO laaaame. A real mainstream mumbojumbo. Duel Of Fates part was cool though, if bit overflashy. :p
 Prime
09-27-2004, 7:17 AM
I'm an OT guy for sure, but I still enjoy AOTC, and I like TPM more than most. I think the characters are better in the OT, but I do like learning why the galaxy is what it is in the OT from the PT.
 El Sitherino
09-27-2004, 8:27 AM
Originally posted by Prime
I'm an OT guy for sure, but I still enjoy AOTC, and I like TPM more than most. I think the characters are better in the OT, but I do like learning why the galaxy is what it is in the OT from the PT. same here.
 txa1265
09-27-2004, 9:58 AM
I like TPM more than most. I don't think I'd watch TPM at all if it weren't for my kids.

... oh, and for the saber battles, but that's it.
... oh, and Ewan McGregor totally owning as ObiWan, but that's it.
... oh, and Liam Neeson's cool QuiGon, but that's it.
... oh, and Ian McDermid nailing as the Emperor, but that's it.
... oh, and Ian McDermid nailing as Palpatine, but that's it.
... oh, and the political intrigue, but that's it.
... oh, and the Jedi Council, but that's it.
... oh, and learning about the Jedi, but that's it.

... hmmm ... I guess that even though it is #5 of 5 (and will likely be #6 of 6) I still like it more than most movies (more than any Star Trek movie but Khan, more than any Matrix or Tarantino movie ... more than lots of 'good' stuff)

Mike
 Kurgan
09-28-2004, 3:13 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
See, I didn't look at those as 'spoilers' as they are kind of a lead-in.

Similar for me:
1. AotC
3. RotJ
4. Star Wars (despite my love of the prequels, I still cling steadfastly to the fact that I saw 'Star Wars', not 'A New Hope' a dozen times in theaters in 1977)
5. TPM

It is interesting that TPM has one of the best pieces of music (Duel of the Phates ;) ) and lightsaber fight scenes in the entire series, yet still falls to the bottom.

Mike

My reasoning is thus:

AOTC has better action than ESB. But ESB has better characters. They're both very artistically done (even if ESB is lightyears behind in visual effects technology).

I rank TPM last just because, like ANH it has a very slow buildup, but not only does it have (too much) Jar Jar, but it has a bunch of wasted opportunities, IMHO. Otherwise it's a perfectly watchable Sci Fi Film. I'm not sure if being Star Wars really helps it or hurts it more (perhaps equally). On the other hand the digital look, the camera angles, etc and a few other things make AOTC feel less like a "Star Wars film" than TPM. When I first saw TPM I didn't feel like it had the "feel" of Star Wars, but I changed my mind when I saw AOTC. If anything TPM has more the feel than the next prequel. But, I still enjoyed AOTC more, so that's how I ranked 'em. ; )

ROTJ I like because it has pure action. I also loved Jabba the Hutt and his monsters as a kid, and it was the first one of the films I saw in theaters. Likewise I saw it like a billion times babysitting my younger siblings so I couldn't help being nostalgic about it now!

ANH I honestly didn't have the appreciation for as a kid that I do now. Mainly because of the slow buildup (after seeing ROTJ it felt like it was in slow motion!) and lesser visual effects it was something of a let-down for a kid, even if it was first and set the bar for the series and continued the story.
 Revan Solo
09-29-2004, 3:24 AM
New replies, please! :)
 Kurgan
09-29-2004, 3:40 AM
Patience young Skywalker...
 Autobot Traitor
09-30-2004, 7:54 AM
1) ESB
2) ANH
3) ROTJ
4) ATOC
5) TFM

As my list indicates, I prefer the OT over the new. Although I understand that the new one is supposed to feel different than the old, the things I liked about the old are what made me fall inlove with the franchise.
Oh, did anyone else find Irwing's voice unbelivably annoying on the ESB commentary? I had a whine glass sitting on my huge @55 speakers yesterday, when it was particulairy cool day and we had the doors open to let the fumes from paint get out- Lucas was talking and everything was going fine, then Irving yelps "Oh this is the scene where...blah blah blah" , and suddenly crack caused by the vibration in the speaker from his voice appears in the glass!
The guy litteraly has a voice that can break glass!
 sith_master2000
09-30-2004, 4:01 PM
Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
Oh, did anyone else find Irwing's voice unbelivably annoying on the ESB commentary? I had a whine glass sitting on my huge @55 speakers yesterday, when it was particulairy cool day and we had the doors open to let the fumes from paint get out- Lucas was talking and everything was going fine, then Irving yelps "Oh this is the scene where...blah blah blah" , and suddenly crack caused by the vibration in the speaker from his voice appears in the glass!
The guy litteraly has a voice that can break glass!
I don't have the Classic Trilogy DVD set (yet) but I was wondering who this Irving dude is, is he just some high pitched freak who doesn't know what he's talking about?
 ET Warrior
09-30-2004, 5:03 PM
I voted OT.

I like the Prequels okay, but not nearly as much as the OT.

1) ESB
2) RotJ
3) AotC
4) ANH
5) TPM
 Autobot Traitor
10-01-2004, 4:50 AM
He's the director of ESB.
 Codja X
10-01-2004, 5:00 AM
@ Kurgan: Yub Yub! That is one thing I was gutted about when seeing the RotJ SE for the 1st time, but considering that song closes what will be one of the most epic sagas in recent memory, I suppose it would have to be changed from an Ewok party tune. Nevermind though:)

My order:

1)ESB
2)ANH
3)AotC
4)RotJ
5)TPM

Hopefully EpIII will shoot in straight at number 1. From what i've seen and read, I can't see any reason why it shouldn't. Finger's crossed:)

Although TPM is last in the list, I still really like it - it's just that the skip button on my remote gets used more than the others (with ESB having the least scenes skipped)
 txa1265
10-01-2004, 5:28 AM
It is amazing how things change over the years.

When Star Wars came out, there was no real home video market. So, to see it, you had to go to the theaters. Not like AotC, which you knew would be out on DVD in 6-9 months. (Still, we saw AotC 3x - 2x in theaters and 1x in IMAX ... WOW!) It also meant that they could re-release it and it would be like a new experience. (Never saw a re-release) Further - because of fewer channels pre-Cable, they could more tightly control the overall exposure of the film. Now I only see Disney doing stuff like that (OK, that's not quite true ... the SE DVD set went out of publication for a while).

The advent of home video gives you instant and immediate acces to all of the movies you like. That is just an amazing thing! Watch what you want, when you want - pause and continue, and so on.

DVD further enhances the experience - now we have a truly cinematic experience between video and sound quality.

But how has it changed viewing habits. When it is in theaters, you watch the whole thing, end to end. On TV, same basic thing - view it or lose it. Video, you can skip around, but it is cumbersome. With DVD we truly have non-linear viewing capabilities. While this can be nice if you just want to watch a small segment or whatever, it separates you (in my opinion) from the context of the movies. In TPM, for instance, I will occasionally just watch the saber fight scenes. Fun enough, but it isn't really experiencing the movie, and I feel it changes things ...

What do you think?

Mike
 Kurgan
10-01-2004, 1:48 PM
I don't have the Classic Trilogy DVD set (yet) but I was wondering who this Irving dude is, is he just some high pitched freak who doesn't know what he's talking about?

He directed ESB and was pretty much given free reign with only minor creative direction from Lucas (according to the commentaries and bonus materials anyway). Considering ESB is often given as a fan favorite among the Star Wars films, I'd say that he did a good job. ; )

Richard Marquand directed ROTJ. And while he died in 1987, I've heard that there was some head-butting between him and Lucas and perhaps with the rest of the cast&crew, and so that explains the carefully worded comments about him on the DVD's. Still, Jedi is my favorite SW movie of all time, despite its flaws, so he did something right!

Overall the OT stands strong as a complete narrative. It remains to be seen if we can say the same about the prequels, and it even more remains to be seen if one can watch all six "episodes" and have it flow and make sense!

As to the "movie experience" I agree with you and people like Roger Ebert who say that.

There is something different and something lost by not seeing a film in the theater with a group of other people, etc. Even the popcorn/candy/whatever is part of the experience. It's the same with video games, in noisy arcades with the smell of pizza and cigarrette burns next to the well-worn joysticks.

However, not everyone can have that experience (a movie can't stay in theaters forever, etc) and the home experience is just a "next best thing." However it does have its advantages.

For example the LOTR series is absolutely awful in theaters. For one, theater owners refuse to have intermissions. This makes viewing of the films which are incredibly long, very uncomfortable. Your butt gets sore on those uncomfortable seats. You have to go to the bathroom, you get a sore neck/headache, etc. At home at least you can take a break.

In fact, the LOTR DVD's with the Extended Editions are perfect for the home. You can watch a 1 1/2 hour episode, then take a break, and watch the next 1 1/2 episode (the second disc of one movie) the next night. Watching it like a 6 part miniseries. It works well.

Likewise Lucas intended his films to be a like a "Saturday Matinee" where you'd see a feature, then the next week see another, etc. Something that wasn't possible when they first came out and you had to wait YEARS for another movie.

There are all sorts of ways to do it, and there is something to the purist approach, but there are definately pluses to the other approaches too. So the more options the better.
 leXX
10-01-2004, 2:51 PM
1. AotC
3. RotJ
5. TPM

Mike

Wow, it's as if the words came right out of my mouth! You're starting to freak me out Mike. O.o
 Kain
10-01-2004, 9:46 PM
1:RotJ
2: ESB
3: ANH

As for Eps 1 and 2...I'd rather watch the Christmas specials.
 Revan Solo
10-02-2004, 3:27 AM
Originally posted by Kain
1:RotJ
2: ESB
3: ANH

As for Eps 1 and 2...I'd rather watch the Christmas specials. What are the Christmas specials? Is there a Santa Claus looking like Darth Vader? :p
 Kurgan
10-02-2004, 4:54 AM
The "Star Wars Holiday Special" was shown on TV once around Christmas 1978.

It was a live action feature with the original actors and many of the original props from Star Wars (with a short animated sequence in the middle which was the debut of the Boba Fett character) about Han Solo & Chewbacca going back to his home planet of Kashyykk (sp?) for the Wookiee holiday of "Life Day." Along the way a lot of other stuff happens including guest appearances and cameos by sitcom actors and music stars of the day. We get to meet Chewbacca's family and Carrie Fischer sings (badly).

Overall people hated it because of some of the cheap looking sets, the light-hearted tone, the bad jokes, and the bad singing/acting. Fans have kept it alive by circulating bootleg video tapes, DVD's and video files on the internet and at conventions. It's quite easy to find a copy to view if you know where to look. It's a Star Wars curiosity, really.

Apparently even though George Lucas had a hand in its creation (story or script I don't remember), he had no idea it would be such a flop, and later declared that if he could track down and destroy every copy of it, he would. This has lead fans to conclude that it's not part of canon, even though certain items of it (like Chewie's family and home planet) have become part of official continuity.

Look it up on IMDB.com and you'll find more info...
 Autobot Traitor
10-02-2004, 7:18 AM
Kashyyyk (3 Y's, but you were close:))

I'm one of the thousands of unfortunate people who saw that piece of bantha fodder. Like you said, the jokes were terrible! Especialy the line "You got any more of them Wookie cookies?"

Here's some clips:

"Luke Wannabe Skywalker"
http://www.timewarptv.com/site/programs/Star_Wars_Holiday_Special/images/Luke.jpg)

"Chewie in light day robes"
http://www.terra.es/personal/marinoa/sw4.jpg)

"Old lady gets shakes her grove thing"

http://www.foamtotem.org/daily/starwars-beaarthur.jpg)

"The Jefferson family!"

http://home.hiwaay.net/~tfharris/pulpculture/columns/981224.jpg)
 Kurgan
10-02-2004, 8:16 AM
That is Mark Hamill btw, but his makeup job is bad, and this is before (IIRC) his plastic surgery after the accident (that was written into ESB to explain why his face looked different in that movie). Or perhaps I heard wrong and the bad makeup is to cover for the surgery he recently had...

Yeah, I've seen it twice. There's a lot of website out there with pics and more info.

Some of the bootlegs feature original Star Wars merchandise commercials in between the Holiday Special footage, which just goes to show how Lucas intended to take advantage of the Christmas season to sell toys (after all, the merchandizing rights were the real way that Lucas was going to profit from the movie).
 primalunderdog
10-03-2004, 6:14 PM
I like the classics more because it had the better battles like hoth and endor, and even yavin...wait that wasent in there,oh well it would have been cool though
 Revan Solo
10-04-2004, 4:31 AM
Originally posted by primalunderdog
I like the classics more because it had the better battles like hoth and endor, and even yavin...wait that wasent in there,oh well it would have been cool though And Geonosis? I found it very good!
 txa1265
10-04-2004, 6:55 AM
Originally posted by Revan Solo
And Geonosis? I found it very good! And don't forget commandeering the walker in Yavin canyon, and the battles on Taspir III, and confronting Darth Bandon ... oh wait ... those are all from games ... ;)

Mike
 Prime
10-04-2004, 6:59 AM
I pwned Bandon!!1!!1
 Autobot Traitor
10-04-2004, 3:38 PM
That is Mark Hamill btw, but his makeup job is bad, and this is before (IIRC) his plastic surgery after the accident (that was written into ESB to explain why his face looked different in that movie). Or perhaps I heard wrong and the bad makeup is to cover for the surgery he recently had...

Yeah, I've seen it twice. There's a lot of website out there with pics and more info.

Some of the bootlegs feature original Star Wars merchandise commercials in between the Holiday Special footage, which just goes to show how Lucas intended to take advantage of the Christmas season to sell toys (after all, the merchandizing rights were the real way that Lucas was going to profit from the movie).

There's was also an unproduced slew of toys for the special. Fortunatly, they were all cancelled, but there was a nice article and pictures of them in Toyfare magazine last year.
 sith_master2000
10-04-2004, 11:08 PM
I pwned Bandon!!1!!1
There's a funny thing about that. My brother was up to 3 in the morning trying to kill Bandon, LOL!
 Revan Solo
10-06-2004, 5:51 AM
There's a funny thing about that. My brother was up to 3 in the morning trying to kill Bandon, LOL! Bandon is stronger than Malak, I find!
 txa1265
10-06-2004, 6:35 AM
Originally posted by Revan Solo
Bandon is stronger than Malak, I find! [continuing down the merry road called 'off topic']
Well, it is really like the Tavion vs. Desann thing - I found (as did many) Tavion more challenging, but that is more about you, than her.

Mike
 Kain
10-06-2004, 6:50 AM
[continuing down the merry road called 'off topic']
Well, it is really like the Tavion vs. Desann thing - I found (as did many) Tavion more challenging, but that is more about you, than her.

Mike

Thats because all you had to do was drop a pillar on Desann, very easy given the JOKE that the AI was. In JA, Tavion was insane. That god damned stick of hers. And then Katarn...ugh, don't get me started.
 Sivy
10-06-2004, 6:52 AM
don't make me post the 'stay on topic' picture. ¬.¬
 leXX
10-06-2004, 6:54 AM
Wow, I found Tavion extremely easy to beat. It was quite a disapointing fight actually. =/ I had much more fun fighting Katarn, simply because I hate him.
 Sivy
10-06-2004, 7:10 AM
ok thats it!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sivyb/sot.jpg)

you tell them porkins!!

:D
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-08-2004, 3:22 PM

1) ROTJ (best)
2) AOTC & ESB (tie)
3) ANH

Also similar for me

1) ROTJ and AOTC
3) ESB
4) ANH
5) TPM

I liked TPM but it was nowhere near the caliber that the others were.
 JDKnite188
10-08-2004, 5:30 PM
 Revan Solo
10-09-2004, 2:32 AM
Originally posted by Sivy
ok thats it!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/sivyb/sot.jpg)

you tell them porkins!!

:D I STAY ON TOPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Page: 1 of 1