Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

People Can't Connect to my server

Page: 1 of 1
 Tommouse
09-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Ok here's the deal. I'm on a linksys 8 port gigabit switch, with both my laptop and desktop/server on cat6. I connect it to my schools network. I can see my server on the desktop. No one else can. I have manually typed in the ip, and port to connect and it doesn't work. The game can't find the server. It's not my computer/switch. I run a web/ftp/streaming servers and I havn't had any problems. Only this game.

Also, people on my floor have put up servers and my roommates computer sees it (hes connected strait into the wall, not into the switch).

So I'm so confused. It's a switch, not a router, it shouldn't be limiting me. Anyone care to explain this/or fix it for me?

Oh yea ... no firewall/router/anything. I'm right open to the internet. Windows XP SP1(SP2 Bloooows).

Sorry for the rambling ... this just doesn't make sense
 Tommouse
09-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Well after some more thinking I have thought up this:

When it does a LAN game it doesn't even use an IP(or logical address), it only uses the MAC Address(physical). This would explain why I can see my server when on a switch with it, yet no one else past that switch can see it. If only you could bind and IP to the server it would be all good.

That's a big thumbs up to Lucas Arts & Co. for a lack of foresight.
Page: 1 of 1