Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why is there a FPS CAP on multiplayer?!

Page: 1 of 1
 abcxyz
09-21-2004, 2:20 PM
Why, oh why is there a FPS CAP on multiplayer? In single player, my game is silky smooth but as soon as I go online (which is the main reason I'm buying this game) the fps is A LOT lower and it significantly reduces my game experience.

I know a lot of online games (UT2004 for example and pretty much every other game) that don't have any cap when playing online so why did they do it to this game? Pretty much ruins a very good game in my opinion.
 kingdomwinds
09-21-2004, 2:30 PM
im having the same prob. In sp i get framerate in the 100s. In mp its capped at 20 fps! I know its not my system cuz my vid card is good. the developers must be stupid and set a low frame cap in mp. Hope its changed in a patch
 Faeth0r
09-21-2004, 7:49 PM
This is a problem that seriously needs to be addressed very soon.
 Bum Hunter
09-21-2004, 9:46 PM
Thats funny. I can actually raise my FPS up to 30. Have any of you checked out the options menu?
 Sadow
09-21-2004, 10:49 PM
the fps sucks so bad, make game so damm choppy
 rut-wa jodar
09-21-2004, 11:26 PM
I don`t have the game yet, but it sounds like your connection is set too low. I recommend looking through the options for multiplayer settings.
 Iceman_IX
09-21-2004, 11:41 PM
How do you view FPS? My online FPS seemed pretty good and comparable to offline but there were few players on the server.
 Zoroaster
09-22-2004, 5:04 AM
I might well be wrong about this, but if I remember correctly, doesn't FPS have an impact on lag?

I remember reading back from my old quake 2 days that the higher your FPS the more information needs to be transmitted to and from your client to the server, increasing lag.

Therefore lower FPS give better pings.

Like I say I might be completely wrong, it could be completely the other way round, just throwing in my 2 pence.
 italegion
09-22-2004, 5:33 AM
then they should learn from BF1942 how to make higher fps with low lag.. :mad:
 Alegis
09-22-2004, 5:34 AM
There seem to be a lot of issues on this one so i guess it'll be sorted soon
 Evil777
09-22-2004, 12:45 PM
I have heard there is a way to change the FPS, im at school right now and I have to go to work after ward but ill post tomorrow if i figure out how it is done... i have some idea... its done through a / command
 abcxyz
09-23-2004, 12:42 AM
Here's what the developers have to say concerning the matter here (http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5906&tstart=0):

- PC Multiplayer Frame rate lock – The framerate lock is set to 20 by default. You can set the values to 15, 20 or 30. To change the settings, go to the main menu and select Options/Online Options and then change the “Ticks per second” setting.

WTF? They don't even give a hint that they might be fixing this! They just state what everyone already knows. They really shouldn't have made a online game if they don't know how to do it properly! Have the developers played any online game in the past five years? Obviously not if they think that it's okay to have a frame rate limit this low in the year 2004!
 Mongo05
09-23-2004, 2:19 AM
That really ticks me off....They should be shot for this, i knew everyone else was going to have the same problem....its not right, i feel like ive been scammed some how..
 JohnnyGFX
09-23-2004, 6:40 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
There seem to be a lot of issues on this one so i guess it'll be sorted soon

I did some searching through the files in there... didn't find any config files that contain the data for that (to change manually). Possibly with a command, but I don't know what it would be at the moment.)
 ChicoMan
09-23-2004, 7:10 AM
I don't know if you guys know about this but FPS in mp can be changed from the server side. The post link below explains how to do it. The one problem I have noticed with this method is that a player attempting to enter a vehicle is glitchy and won't let you in unless you keep trying for a while. Here's the post:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5886&tstart=25)

also don't confuse /TPS 80 as FPS 80 it is a T not an F
 abcxyz
09-23-2004, 7:48 AM
Originally posted by the developers
The framerate lock is set to 20 by default. You can set the values to 15, 20 or 30. To change the settings, go to the main menu and select Options/Online Options and then change the “Ticks per second” setting.

Originally posted by ChicoMan
also don't confuse /TPS 80 as FPS 80 it is a T not an F

Don't you think it's weird that the developers of this game think that the Ticks Per Second equals Frames Per Second if you really know that it doesn't?

Anyway, hopefully the FPS lock can be fixed that way but if that really is the case I can't understand why the FPS was originally locked at 20 fps..
 Bum Hunter
09-23-2004, 10:50 AM
I've read some posts on the LUcas Arts forum stating that there is a way to unlock the FPS if the server you are playing on has changed teh /tps in the ini files. If you look on the PC forums you can read that and from what people are saying it sounds like it is working.
 Frenchy
09-24-2004, 6:21 PM
Is there a way to actually find the IP address of a server? can't bring up the console and can't get server info right from the server list. I thought these were BASIC options nowadays. Guess evolution is a big word.
 Alegis
09-25-2004, 12:08 AM
well my bet is that they will add everything in-time.

I thought those guys that increased fps to 80 had choppy vehicles?
Page: 1 of 1