Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Your Star Wars DVD Reviews!

Page: 2 of 2
 Codja X
09-29-2004, 6:44 PM
I think we're all bitchin about the wrong things - the question we should ask is: Why weren't the Ewoks removed from the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi?

It's interesting that Steven Speilberg was orignally meant to direct that (something new I learnt from the Dreams Doc) - I wonder what that would have been like?
 Lynk Former
09-29-2004, 9:39 PM
Originally posted by Codja X
I think we're all bitchin about the wrong things - the question we should ask is: Why weren't the Ewoks removed from the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi?

To avoid a huge plot hole? XD
 Autobot Traitor
09-30-2004, 3:25 AM
Originally posted by Codja X
I I wonder what that would have been like?

Picture a bunch of Ewoks running up a beach while being blown appart by Stormtroopers. Wicket the Ewok and his platoon are later sent off to find Whinney the Poo after his 3 other brothers were killed in action on one of Endor's other moons.

I smell an Academy Award!
 Codja X
09-30-2004, 6:05 AM
Originally posted by Autobot Traitor
Picture a bunch of Ewoks running up a beach while being blown appart by Stormtroopers. Wicket the Ewok and his platoon are later sent off to find Whinney the Poo after his 3 other brothers were killed in action on one of Endor's other moons.

I smell an Academy Award!

LOL:) I was wondering how to work Private Ryan into it
 Prime
09-30-2004, 7:57 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
Well none of this would be an issue if Lucas just got his brain working and figure out the fans want the original original trilogy x.x

*pokes GL in the eye* Is that really true though? Yes, there are many fanatics who want the original version, but I wonder how much of the total customer base really cares? I mean, there are a lot of the younger generation that have more or less "grown up" with the SEs and Prequels. There are many fans who think the SEs are an improvement, and the majority probably don't care one way or the other. I know lots of non-fanatics who perfer the updated effects, and don't remember who shot first.

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying not everyone is demanding the original version.
 Jan Gaarni
09-30-2004, 8:21 AM
I want the original version, where Han shoots only, where Sebastian Shaw is portraying as a ghost, where the Emperor says exactly the same thing in ESB, etc....
As for the enhancements however, I don't see a too big problem. I like how they back in 97 opened up alot of the corridors on Cloud City where you could view the outside. That was a nice touch. :)

The ride into Mos Eisley in ANH could have been done alot better if you ask me. Looked fake, compared to the rest of the movie.

The improvements of the final space battle in ANH was very good, not that much needed to begin with to enhance it though. :)

And so was the Falcon scenes approaching Yavin IV, and the landing part which we never got to see in the original film.

There are alot of small things that I wouldn't want be taken away which has enhanced the Star Wars vastness feel of the original films, but some of the major stuff, like Han shooting second, replacing Sebastion Shaw with Hayden etc... is a no-no in my opinion.
 Vagabond
09-30-2004, 8:21 AM
I guess what bugs me is not the additional scenes that have been added, or the cleaning up the video and audio - it's the changing of already existing scenes and whole events that bothers me. Changing the color of Luke's lightsaber in ANH makes absolutely no sense. Having Greedo shoot first this time, instead of how it was originally, is just frustrating. I mean, what's next? Is Lucas going to change Luke's name to Gary? It's like - enough already. The movie is done - quit changing it. That's what frustrates me.

Now then, like I said the extra scenes I'm cool with in principle. However, the quality of the "original" extra Jabba / Han scene was horrible. Jabba looked like he was made of Play-dough, and every time I'd see Han "walk over his tail", I would just cringe. It just looks sooooo cheesy.

One extra scene I liked was the Falcon lifting out of hanger bay 94 with stormtroopers shooting at it. Very cool.

So in summary: (1) Change = Bad, (2) New = Cool (just do it well)

That's my opinion :cool:
 Jan Gaarni
09-30-2004, 8:30 AM
What is this Luke's saber color change deal?
If it's the Falcon shot, then I think that is some type of grafics corruption going on.

Something, like with the badges in RotJ being all wrong, is of a technical natur and should just be ignored. :)

As for Greedo still shooting first, I can hold my peace about, as they have speeded that scene up so it appears more that Han shoots almost at the same time as Greedo, while ducking away at the same time. It's over so fast you can barely notice the cheesy headbob (photoshop job :D ) done by Han. :D

The whole Jabba scene in ANH looks cheesy to me, with the original actor, and with Jabba. :)
 Vagabond
09-30-2004, 8:49 AM
I don't have the DVD's yet, but pictures I've seen show's Luke's lightsaber as green in the Falcon, instead of blue. Yes, it was probably a poor job of graphics enhancement (not sure why that scene needed enhancing in the first place), but whatever the reason, the result is that his lightsaber is green in the Falcon. And it is blue in Ben's house. It's just....."Aaaaaaaaa!!!"

I sort of liked the whole concept of the Jabba confrontation scene with Han in ANH - it added a connection to ESB with the reference to the bounty hunters that they ran into on Ord Mantell because of the price Jabba had put on his head. It's just that the quality of that new shot was so horrible. I wouldn't have minded if they'd just had Han walk directly behind Jabba without artificially lifting him up to appear as though he was walking over Jabba's tail. Sure, some people would have pointed out, "Hey, hey can't do that - Jabba's tail's in the way". But still, it would have looked much better than the goofy thing they do with Han now, elevating him and the sliding him back down over Jabba's tail - it just looks retarded beyond words.

Anyway, that was more than you asked :cool:
 Kurgan
09-30-2004, 4:23 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Is that really true though? Yes, there are many fanatics who want the original version, but I wonder how much of the total customer base really cares? I mean, there are a lot of the younger generation that have more or less "grown up" with the SEs and Prequels. There are many fans who think the SEs are an improvement, and the majority probably don't care one way or the other. I know lots of non-fanatics who perfer the updated effects, and don't remember who shot first.

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying not everyone is demanding the original version.

Ah, but the SE's came out only 7 years ago. So those fans would be what, 13 years old now (at 6 years old in 1997)? Who says the biggest buying fanbase for Star Wars are 13 year olds? EVERYBODY else (who hasn't been living under a rock for the last 27 years) would know about the originals. People who aren't fans won't get what's so great about the prequels either.

Not everyone is demanding the option to buy the originals on DVD, but a sizable enough number of fans are that Lucas is being stubborn in ignoring them (so far).
 cayqel
10-09-2004, 8:17 AM
Anyone else have green flashes during the Vader/Obi-wan fight?
 Kurgan
10-09-2004, 12:59 PM
I have. Those are the "blobs" everytime their sabers clash, and done intentionally, apparently. I thought they were white in previous versions of the movie, but maybe I'm wrong. They are very noticable now...
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-10-2004, 5:21 PM
I think the new DVDs were great. I like the original version better than most of the changes they made (SE and DVD releases), but the increased quality BY FAR made up for anything else I may have wanted to complain about.
 Kurgan
10-11-2004, 8:46 AM
Yeah, it's like finding a couple of hairs in an otherwise 5 star meal at a fancy restaurant.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-11-2004, 9:44 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Yeah, it's like finding a couple of hairs in an otherwise 5 star meal at a fancy restaurant.

I couldn't say it better myself
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-11-2004, 1:23 PM
The DVDs were amazing, however the extended celebration scene at the end(where they cycle through the planets more) and hayden sent chills through my spine. But, as has been said, hairy restaurant on 4 stars, blah blah blah
Page: 2 of 2