Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Assuming Stormtroopers are clones, why aren't the officers?

Page: 2 of 3
 Kurgan
10-13-2004, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
The batches of Kaminoan clones are not released only every ten years. If that was true, everyone of the Jango clones would be the same age, they are clearly not. They start subsequent batches before the previous batch is finished. Sort of an assembly line kind of thing.

That must be true. In the movie we see adult clones, basically ready to go (the 200,000 Lama Su mentioned), and the child clones (about Boba's age) are probably the 1,000,000 "on the way." There are fetal clones also shown in some scenes. I hazard to guess that these may not be part of the actual batch ordered by "Jedi Master Sifo Dias" but just clones they are creating in general, other orders, or research. Then again, who knows, in 10 years they may have another 1.2 million ready. Palpatine may be placing new orders now that the floodgates are open or demanding they find new ways to speed up production.

However, if what I just said above is correct, we shouldn't see any new Clones ready yet in Episode III (supposedly taking place a scant 2-3 years after AOTC), unless there were other cloning facilities we didn't know about or they discovered a way to speed up production.
 Nairb Notneb
10-14-2004, 3:31 AM
What we saw were mature combat ready clones about ten actual years old and no more because the order was placed ten years ago at that time. Meaning that in clone years (like dog years) they were then relatively about twenty years old. Then the younger clones that looked like Boba were about 5 years old in reality and were about 10 years old in clone years. Then, as stated by Kurgan above, we saw a third state of clone, the fetus clone, and we saw a lot of them. In ten years these will be ready for combat. That would put these ready almost halfway between AOTC and ANH meaning that by the time ANH happened those fetus clones would be about twenty years old when Luke and Han are running through the Death Star, but in clone years they will be a ripe old age of 40, seasoned veterans. Some of them could still be in service, possibly. Assuming that is that they haven't figured out a way to slow down the aging process once the clones have reached combat maturity levels, which from a soldier manufacturing point of view would be a great selling point.
 Pho3nix
10-26-2004, 8:05 AM
I think i saw a "clone" facility in an old Star Wars comic years ago. I don't remember much about it, but i do remember tanks (sort of like Bacta tanks, only without water) where they had identical white faced humans inside. :trooper:
 *Yoinked*
10-26-2004, 9:31 AM
You mean Spaarti Clone Cubicles, or something like that, yes, in the EU, the Emporer has several cloneing things locked away in Mount TantisTM (;)) and they are used by Thrawn, and by Joorus C'boath...

-Adam G
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Adam G
You mean Spaarti Clone Cubicles, or something like that, yes, in the EU, the Emporer has several cloneing things locked away in Mount TantisTM (;)) and they are used by Thrawn, and by Joorus C'boath...

-Adam G

oooh, glorius c'boath
 Nairb Notneb
10-27-2004, 3:28 AM
Yes, they have them in the EU, but the EU is not canon, exactly, but sort of. Not really. Heir to the Empire was one of the first EU books to touch on clones and it did a great job I think until it got to the clone of Luke at the end, that was not the best part of the series in my opinion.

The problem with the clones in Heir to the Empire was that they were basically "instant clones" that took little time to make and were already trained. I found the technology hard to believe. If the Emperor had that type of tech, even a prototype, why would he hide it? He would have used it to mass produce an instant army. Unless there is something that I am forgetting about them.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-27-2004, 10:43 AM
You forgot that Thrawn realized he could insta-clone by using ysalimari. If you try to insta-clone otherwise, the resulting clones are insane. I believe it takes ten years to make a sane clone, but I could be mistaken (been a while since I read them). The emperor did not realize that he could offset the effect using ysalimari, so it was not especially effective for him to use the Spaarti cylinders.
 Lieutenant_kettch
10-27-2004, 12:42 PM
You forgot that Thrawn realized he could insta-clone by using ysalimari. If you try to insta-clone otherwise, the resulting clones are insane. I believe it takes ten years to make a sane clone, but I could be mistaken (been a while since I read them). The emperor did not realize that he could offset the effect using ysalimari, so it was not especially effective for him to use the Spaarti cylinders.

and what is wrong with having billions of insane storm/clone troopers??? they already seem a little wacked to me
 Jan Gaarni
10-27-2004, 1:51 PM
Yeah, having millions of insane people with a blaster in their hand sounds like a good idea. :D
 Nairb Notneb
10-29-2004, 2:35 AM
I knew I had forgotten something. And good point about having insane troops. Maybe it would improve their accuracy! You know, when Obi-Wan told Luke about these last shots being too accurate for Sand People. "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise", shhaa, right! When was the last time that he saw the old stormies shoot at something?
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-29-2004, 2:47 AM
Originally posted by Nairb Notneb
You know, when Obi-Wan told Luke about these last shots being too accurate for Sand People. "Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise", shhaa, right! When was the last time that he saw the old stormies shoot at something?

I have a theory about this. I believe that they are not innacurate. They just aim for the walls. If you notice, a lot of the walls explode when hit. This gives the stormtroopers the ability to do splash damage with a blaster. Pretty clever if you ask me.
 Nairb Notneb
10-29-2004, 2:56 AM
Clever in some cases, but when you are in combat on the forest moon of Endor and there are no walls, its a bad strategy. Just hit your targets men.
 Jet Black
10-29-2004, 8:12 AM
Very intersting discussion :)

I'm of no particular opinion of whether Stormtroopers are clones or not, either is fine with me. However there's something that I haven't seen mentioned so far that I thought I'd bring up.

As Dex says to Obi-Wan in AOTC: "These Kaminoins are cloners... damn good ones." Or something to that regard.

Dex doesn't say they're the ONLY cloners in the galaxy, they just happen to be good ones. After Palpatine takes over and beats down the Republic, there's no reason he couldn't start ordering clones from numerous other producers to fill the need for a large number of Stormtroopers. Then if Kamino resigns to help, there's still numerous other facilities willing to offer their aid.

If the OT movies are any indication, Stormtroopers don't seem to be nearly as capable as their Republic counterparts... they fall to the ground dead when someone sneazes on them. Maybe this points to the fact that they are lower-quality non-Kaminoin clones ;)
 Nairb Notneb
10-29-2004, 9:09 AM
originaly posted by Jet Black
Dex doesn't say they're the ONLY cloners in the galaxy, they just happen to be good ones.
Very good point there Jet. They do seem to "degrade" as time goes on. Well, every time you make a copy of something it is not as good as the original, there are flaws, cloning may have these same principles. One solution would be to use a different template, or genetic source on a regular basis, but then you would consistently get a different type of clone, different versions, a different line.

The Kaminos, from Dex's words, were obviously not the only cloners, just among the best. I'm sure Palpatine could have hired others to produce more troops. The Kaminos could have kept producing Jango clones I suppose, and these other producers could have made different troops, and given enough variety in producing companies there would have been enough different looking clones to have twenty or so different looking standard storm troopers. The Empire could have had a standard physical spec that they needed to fit, height, weight, strength, age, etc. and then the cloners just made them to order.

Freaky.
 TK-8252
10-29-2004, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by Nairb Notneb
When was the last time that he saw the old stormies shoot at something?

Tantive IV is the best example.

But my question is this: why didn't they just clone Boba Fett instead of choosing random people? The Clone Troopers seem very superior to Stormtroopers, and Boba is almost exactly like Jango, considering they're clones.

Guess it's just what happens when the clone host selection process turns more political than strategic. :(
 Jet Black
10-29-2004, 6:51 PM
Is it possible that Palpy didn't even know who was chosen for the clones?

He could have just said: "Go, choose someone and make a clone army."

Then when Dooku is killed in Episode III, the knowledge of who the clone was died with him... and when it came time to make Stormtroopers, Palpatine just had someone else pick a (poor)host.
 Shok_Tinoktin
10-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Only problem is that the Kaminoans know that Jango is the source of their clones, so the secret does not die with Dooku.
 Jan Gaarni
10-30-2004, 3:35 AM
Perhaps the knowledge dies with the Kaminoans aswell.

It would make sense to stage an assault on the production facilities of the Republic.
 Jet Black
10-30-2004, 4:48 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
Perhaps the knowledge dies with the Kaminoans aswell.

It would make sense to stage an assault on the production facilities of the Republic.

Star Wars: Battlefront put a mission on Kamino, so that could be true ;)

EDIT: This just came to mind - Who makes the vehicles/weapons/armour that the Clone Army uses? If they are made by the Kaminoans, then they are probably still around for the OT since the vehicles are similar.

Whatever system produces the vehicles for the Clone Army also produces them for the Empire - I'm sure the similarities weren't a coincidence.
 Kurgan
10-30-2004, 5:37 AM
Okay, to clear up something, the "canon" issue is one that's debated a lot on the internet, but here's how it breaks down:

Originally it was like a hierarchy. The movies were always first, then the novelisations, screenplays and radio dramas of the movies. That was the "canon" everthing official below that was "quasi-canon" or "lower canon" so that was all of the EU.

Then we got "Infinities" comics and "Star Wars Tales" which were "what if" stories and speculation, so those were deemed as basically non-canon. Everything else was put in the above. About the only other "non-canon" thing we had was the Star Wars Holiday Special, but this is supposition based on Lucas supposedly saying he wanted to burn or destroy all copies of it if he could (after it flopped on its first and only public showing back in 1978). But parts of the holiday special have appeared in other official materials, so it's not all a waste.

NOW, like in the last year, it's been changed to this new system:

"G-Level Canon" which is everything created by Lucas himself. And then "C-Level Canon" which is everything else, all the liscensed material.

Now as to the contradiction thing, there's various opinions on that. Some people say well if it contradicts a higher source, you just ignore it. Others say you must try to find a compromise or "fix" (retcon) for it. Or if you can't, then you just ignore the parts that contradict.

This is a tricky process though.

For example, in AOTC we have Palpatine saying that the Republic is 1,000 years old. This contradicts the Tales of the Jedi comics which have the Jedi running around in the Old Republic 5,000 years ago. This would be fine, just ignore the comic, but in another canon movie source, Obi-Wan makes it sound like the Republic has been around for "over a thousand generations." So we either have to assume that one of them is lying, that generations = 1 year (which is hard to swallow, but not impossible) or other proposed ideas (just move the Tales of the Jedi events up so that they just occur in the early days of the Republic, 1,000 years before TPM; or assume there was a "re-founding" of the Republic at some period upon which some people counted the age as only being 1,000 years like Palpy and others like Obi-Wan reconned it older by the old dating system).

And there's the NJO. In the NJO, aliens from another galaxy invade the Star Wars galaxy and everyone is shocked that anything could come from outside. Supposedly there is a barrier that stops hyperdrive ships from leaving the galaxy, so nobody has done it successfully. But in AOTC we learn that apparently intergalactic travel HAS occured. The Banking Clan is called the InterGalactic Banking Clan in the official materials, which we could just say was in error, but then the Jedi Archive shows the mapping of two other galaxies besides the SW main galaxy and Kamino itself lies just outside the main galaxy, and Obi-Wan has little trouble getting there.

So some would say ignore the whole NJO because the premise itself is ridiculous. Others would probably say, well maybe the barrier showed up later, or it was just a rumor, or something else happened to make people stop traveling out there. But, anyway, you see the problem...

The "canon" policies are dealt with by Lucas and his companies. Obviously Lucas himself just does whatever he wants in the stories, but as far as the overall continuity is concerned, that's how it goes.

Usually in these discussions we take what happens in games with a grain of salt. Sure, story elements and characters can be official, but stuff the player does can't be, and stats like how much damage a ship takes and how much ammo a gun has, that sort of thing can't work.

Another problem is that a lot of lazy EU writers have used the Star Wars RPG's to get their info from. Games are made with fun, challenge and balance in mind, so they need not be accurate with regard to "real" Star Wars. But if they keep ripping off the game stats, and making them official, it causes problems.

Examples: the sizes of various ships and battlestations in the games vs. estimates of their sizes in the movies; Jedi/Sith abilities, size and scope of the galaxy, etc.

Where the "movies" are concerned, there's another a little confusing point. There's various versions of each movie. We have changes Lucas made to Star Wars after the first showing like cutting scenes and redubbing dialouge. Then in 1981 he adds "Episode IV: A New Hope" to it. Then we have various audio changes that occur between the theatrical releases and the VHS/Laserdisk releases. These were changed AGAIN when the "THX Enhanced Editions" were released. Then we have the Special Editions, and then the new DVD's. When AOTC was shown in theaters there were THREE VERSIONS of the film shown simultaneously, the shorter, differently framed "IMAX Experience" version (which was kick ass btw), the version shown in select Digital theaters across the country with a couple of added/edited scenes, and the regular theatrical cut that most people saw. When TPM and AOTC came out on DVD, they were further edited a bit (TPM got one new scene and AOTC got the Digital cut with a couple of very minor edits). Both movies also got "deleted scenes" with redone special effects too.

Basically the question has been answered a bit, which is that the "Special Editions are the way that Lucas sees the films today" so I guess they are the highest canon. Episode IV, V, VI, I, II, and when III comes out, that's the highest canon.

And if Lucas changes the movies, the newest version is the one that's the "most canon" or something.

Also I learned recently that one of the Ewok Adventure TV movies was originally shown in theaters (outside the US). So does it count as one of "the movies"? On a literal level it would, but most of us assume when the liscense people are talking about "canon" and say "the movies" they mean Episodes I-VI, nothing else.
 Kurgan
10-30-2004, 5:57 AM
I have a theory about this. I believe that they are not innacurate. They just aim for the walls. If you notice, a lot of the walls explode when hit. This gives the stormtroopers the ability to do splash damage with a blaster. Pretty clever if you ask me.

There's a few explanations for this:

1) Character shields. The good guys can't be killed by every stormtrooper they see can they? So like in all movies, they miss or only give superficial wounds.

2) All the Good Marksmen were off duty. The good guys just luck out and happen to run into the bad shots. The bored guards on the Death Star, etc. The guys who slaughtered the Jawas and killed Luke's aunt & uncle were great shots, but most of their shooting was done offscreen.

3) Different weapons. The Tatooine death squad had all kinds of long rifles and stuff, perhaps better for sniping. Most of the troopers we see have just basic machine guns.

4) Following orders. On the Death Star, the Rebels are "allowed to escape" at a certain point, so the troopers must not be trying to kill them. On Endor maybe they also just wanted to capture them rather than kill them. This isn't a perfect explanation, but it works in some of the cases. Troopers were able to nail R2D2, shoot Leia's arm, etc.

Or, it may simply be that Good stormtroopers are rare. Maybe they just didn't need to have the same quality of training in the 20 years since the Clone Wars. And they didn't take the Rebels seriously enough (or didn't have time to do the proper training for the new clones, if they are even still clones by this point) until it was too late.

I do like the suggestion of budget cuts (might explain the armor quality too) or going with less quality producers.
 Kurgan
10-30-2004, 6:20 AM
One more point about the "leader clones."

We know that the Kaminoeans have the technology to make the clones more or less "independent," since we have Clone Officers and Boba.

So what would stop them from making all the Imperial Officers clones?

Conscripts tend to make crappy troops, as history has shown. Sure, indoctrinating the people as officers and making them "one" with the state is a good idea for propaganda purposes, but difficult of the majority of the people hate you and just pretend to support you to avoid being killed or tortured.

As Vagabond mentioned, it will be interesting to see if there is an actual peace and "break" between the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War, or, if they are really just the same war, with a new emphasis...
 El Sitherino
10-30-2004, 10:07 PM
I was under the impression the growth acceleration was just some kind of chamber or something they had the clones in. *shrugs*
 Kurgan
10-31-2004, 6:00 AM
Doubtful, since we see the Clones up and about, dressed and doing things as kids and as adults.

The Cloning methods describes in the Expanded Universe differ sharply from the methods shown in AOTC.

Instead of "birthing" them in a glass jar and then having them grow up as a normal human, only 2x as fast, with normal training, etc. and reduced independence if the cloner chooses, the EU clones are grown in "Spaarti" cylinders (looks a lot like a Bacta tank as was stated) to adulthood in a very short period (like 1-3 years), then given a "flash brain imprint" of the personality, memories and training of some adult donor (like an Imperial Officer or Jedi). And these EU clones give off a weird "sense" in the Force, have an extra "double vowel" in their name, and go insane (unless grow with a Ysalamari, so they are completely outside the Force, thus making them give off an even weirder aura in the Force). In the EU these clones were based off of various templates, and used by the Emperor to "transfer his soul" into the bodies and "possess" them like some demon.

The Kamino style clones in AOTC can be tailored in some ways, such as the independance thing (to make them easier to "control") and the growth acceleration thing (Boba Fett was created without either "feature").
 Nairb Notneb
11-01-2004, 9:11 AM
Wow! That was a mouthful, but I'm glad it was posted. Like I said, it had been a long time since I read those books.

So it can be said then that there are at least two methods of making clones. The Kamino Process, in which a high quality product is created at the price of time. Then there is the Spaarti Cylinder method which produces clones "quickly" and with a copy of the originals memories, but it is of poorer quality.

If you tool Dex's words at saying that the Kamino's were good cloners then by these to methods he was right.
 ronbrothers
11-12-2004, 11:25 PM
A thought about whether or not Tatooine was part of the Empire...

I've not read anything definative (EU or other), but it is conceivable that it could have been part of the Empire by the time of episode 4. Before the fall of the Republic it is clear that it was not. But I'm not so sure that it would have remained so after the rise of the Empire. I equate the Outer Rim to third world countries. The Empire would have little interest in micro managing those worlds, but would not resist the temptation to grab them and tax them.
 Shok_Tinoktin
11-12-2004, 11:31 PM
^^^^^^
Yeah, thats about the same conclusion that I had drawn. An Empire would be assumed to be imperialistic, so it is likely that they would take control of these areas. Especially considering that there was so much anti-Empire feelings in the outer rim. Why would they care so much about what happened in the Republic/Empire unless one was a threat to them.
 Revan Solo
11-13-2004, 4:41 AM
You know clone troopers aren't very clever. They were not as long as other people in school.
So the empire has to take normal people for officers!
 TK-8252
11-13-2004, 10:40 AM
From the official StarWars.com Databank:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/tatooine/index.html)
Tatooine rests in the distant Outer Rim, beyond the reaches of Republic and Imperial law.

The Outer Rim planets aren't part of the Empire. The Empire only controls the Core planets, as the Republic did. Tatooine is still controlled by the Hutts. When we see Imperials patrolling on Tatooine in ANH, that's the same as the U.S. having troops deployed in countries all around the world.
 primalunderdog
11-13-2004, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by Revan Solo
You know clone troopers aren't very clever. They were not as long as other people in school.
So the empire has to take normal people for officers! thats not true,they were just as smart as there host,they were just always in a combat state,bred for combat.They were pretty smart,just all they cared about was war.
 TK-8252
11-13-2004, 5:13 PM
Originally posted by primalunderdog
thats not true,they were just as smart as there host

Umm, no, they were as smart as they were taught to be. When you clone someone their memory is not copied too. Just genetics.

If a clone was as smart as its host, there would be baby Jangos running around shooting people, flying on jetpacks, and collecting bounties. :D
 Nairb Notneb
11-16-2004, 1:12 AM
I agree. All that was copied was Jango's genetic potential. The rest was up to the training and the experiences gained by each individual clone from his test tube creation day/birth.
 Kurgan
01-21-2005, 11:35 AM
As far as Tatooine is concerned, it's definately not part of the Republic, at least not during TPM.

Shmi says "the Republic doesn't exist out here" (in reply to Padme's statement about the Republic's anti-slavery laws that conflict with the presence of slaves on Tatooine). Additionally Panaka says that the planet is "controlled by the Hutts" referring to them as "gangsters."

Now there are corrupt politicians in the Senate, for example, but Panaka's statements again support the idea that Tatooine is not a part of the Republic proper.

As to the Empire, good analogy about US troops being stationed all over the world, not just in official parts of the US.

Also recall though that the United States isn't just all "States." There are also districts, commonwealths, protectorates and territories, each with varying degrees of independance/sovereignty and "privelage" (vs. States). So like you have Gaum, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, etc. etc.

Now, here's a bit of info that I discovered recently about Tatooine in the Empire...

On the "Behind the Magic" CD-ROM (released in 1998 by LucasArts) there are some deleted scenes from ANH featured. One of these is of Luke talking with his friends at Anchorhead (is that 'Toschi Station,' that he was whining about earlier? not sure) and they are looking through some macrobinoculars (Luke spotted the "battle" between Leia's ship and the Star Destroyer from earlier in the film).

In that scene one of Luke's friends (Fixer?) says "I doubt the Empire would even fight to save the system" because Tatooine is "a big hunk of nothing."

Now that MIGHT imply that Tatooine actually IS part of the Empire, but it's so remote and unimportant (perhaps like some colony or other category of possession) that the Empire doesn't consider it a priority. They might even allow criminals to run things for the most part. Such things aren't without precedent in real history.

Now that is a deleted scene, so you'll say "it's not canon." However, if I'm not mistaken the scene is also featured in the official screenplay of Star Wars, as well as in the novelisation, both of which are G-Level canon. So... it should still count for something.

Incidentally, even if you don't have BTM you can find various clips like the one I mentioned above at various fan sites (in varying quality) if you know where to look. Sites like JediNet iirc.

PS: Not that this is by any means certain, but if you just assumed that Kamino kept producing clones for the Republic at their current rate, they'd have made only two more batches by the time of ANH, for a total of 3.6 million soldiers. Of course (assuming all survived), roughly one third of those would be the equivalent of 60 year old men (like Obi-Wan in ANH), another third (2nd batch) would be equivalent to men in their 40's, with the final third (latest batch) just ripe at their "ready" age, more or less.

*imagines Luke & Co. being chased by senior citizen Stormies on the Death Star*
 TK-8252
01-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Well, StarWars.com says Tatooine isn't part of the Empire, so... :p

Welcome back from... where ever you've been for ever, Kurgan! You're just not you without your avatar though. :(
 Kurgan
01-21-2005, 12:27 PM
I thought a change was in order, you don't like it?

Same mug, different angle/lightning. ; )

I was on vacation, now I'm home sick with a cold. ; p

As for StarWars.com, they have been known to make mistakes.... from time to time.... oh dear oh dear oh dear... :confused:

So I'd appreciate seeing another source for verification!
 shukrallah
02-20-2005, 5:20 PM
I hate the idea of clones... boba being a clone, and the troopers being clones.. it takes away from it all. All those years I thought Boba was some elite mandelorian master... and now... hes just a genetic copy. That sucks. The imperial's finest; stormtroopers, just copies.

As for the stormtroopers (my own theory) I think they used stormtroopers for a while, but then they started phasing them out.... as new recruits became available. As stated before, there were several Imperial Academys. Even Kyle Katarn and Han Solo both signed up and worked for the Empire (im not sure if they were stormtroopers). Kyle joined one of their Acadamies.

About Tatooine, I don't think either side controls it. Its a barren wasteland... who would want it. But even so, we know the Empire's presence was there, because of ANH... they had to have some kind of authority to stop speeders and do searches so perhaps the Empire had some kind of control of the planet. After all, the Empire was the main government of the Galaxy at that time.
 Darth_Monkey11
08-21-2005, 6:35 PM
not all of them,some of them are aliens,humens,some rebel traidors..
 TK-8252
08-21-2005, 7:19 PM
not all of them,some of them are aliens,humens,some rebel traidors..

All Stormtroopers are human. About 75% of them are clones.

And Tatooine is controlled by the Hutts. The Empire having power there is like how the U.S. has bases all around the world, like in Cuba.
 Jan Gaarni
08-22-2005, 4:11 AM
PS: Not that this is by any means certain, but if you just assumed that Kamino kept producing clones for the Republic at their current rate, they'd have made only two more batches by the time of ANH, for a total of 3.6 million soldiers. Of course (assuming all survived), roughly one third of those would be the equivalent of 60 year old men (like Obi-Wan in ANH), another third (2nd batch) would be equivalent to men in their 40's, with the final third (latest batch) just ripe at their "ready" age, more or less.

*imagines Luke & Co. being chased by senior citizen Stormies on the Death Star*

Heh, well that would explain things such as their horrable shooting. :D

But as for clones or not, the Republic didn't have a joint standing army ready to be set into action. 3.6 million after 20-30 years, 1/3 of them being way too old troopers, spread out over millions of lightyears, simply arn't enough to keep control over the galaxy. And if you factor in several star destroyers being in active war duty, not just patrol duty, and assuming the active ones have their full compliment of troopers onboard (9000), with 25000 star destroyers around the galaxy that would mean they would only be able to fill 400 of those with troops (if you put them all on the ships that is). And if the TIE pilots truely are clones aswell, this would lower the number even more, as each star destroyer should have it's full compliment of fighters at all times. It just wouldn't be sufficient I believe.
Sure, the Empire had a regular army aswell by the time of ANH to supplement the stormtrooper divisions, but I still think it wouldn't be enough. They probably used regular people over time for the Stormtrooper divisions.

About Tatooine, I don't think either side controls it. Its a barren wasteland... who would want it. But even so, we know the Empire's presence was there, because of ANH... they had to have some kind of authority to stop speeders and do searches so perhaps the Empire had some kind of control of the planet. After all, the Empire was the main government of the Galaxy at that time.
Well, they didn't control the entire galaxy, by the time of TPM they hadn't even explored the entire galaxy yet, not that was documented atleast. But it was probably the biggest government.
 richie
08-25-2005, 8:11 PM
lol thats funny im new at this i dont know how to post that.can you tell me how to do that plz.
 coupes.
08-25-2005, 8:44 PM
Please ignore Darth_Monkey11, he's been spamming the boards lately, I must have missed this post.

richie, I suggest you read the FAQ (http://www.lucasforums.com/faq.php?) to get more information on how to use the forums. I didn't quite get your question, but I did understand it was about Readin and Posting Messages (http://www.lucasforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_vb_read_and_post), so read on... and welcome to LucasForums.
 Zappa_0
08-26-2005, 2:58 PM
The Hutts is over Tatioone, it is part of the Hutt owned worlds. Also on the Clone/Storm Trooper thing, after the Clone Wars ended the cloning program pretty much ceased and the Imperial Amry started recruiting real people for there army. The officers was appart of the Republic Army before the clones, and I believe they and the Jedi was put over the clones to be commanders of the clone army. After the Jedi was gone the commanders had full control, but still had to report back to the emperor himself. On the Boba origin note, I think it is fine how George did it in Episode II. I still would have liked the idea of Boba killing Mace in Ep3. It would have presented more of a closure.
 TK-8252
08-26-2005, 4:01 PM
Zappa you should have read the thread first, because we've already established that the vast majority of Stormtroopers are clones. After the Clone Wars, the cloning program underwent a massive expansion. This is said in the SW.com Databank.
 Andrelvis
08-26-2005, 5:28 PM
doesn't leia hint at the 'clone-ness' of the stormtroopers when she asks luke if he's "too small" to be one?:confused:

On the contrary, my friend... It implies a standard for recruited troopers. If stormtroopers had a single height, she would be sure he wasn't a stormtrooper, but no, she wasn't sure, she just found it strange...
 Leviathan
08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
On the contrary, my friend... It implies a standard for recruited troopers. If stormtroopers had a single height, she would be sure he wasn't a stormtrooper, but no, she wasn't sure, she just found it strange...
I would not say that there was a single height, but a minimal height... (As in a true Army)
 Pho3nix
08-31-2005, 1:20 PM
I think you people analyze too much :P
 Leviathan
08-31-2005, 1:29 PM
Not enough, I think... :)
 Darth Hansen
09-03-2005, 4:56 PM
Yo People, The Movies Tell It All, All The Clones Turned Bad Because Darth Sidious Privately Broadcasted Order 66 to Commander Cody So Darth Vader and Emperor Sidious Became In Control of This Massive Army You Know What Im Saying, All That's Happened Is Darth Vader and Emperor Sidious Hired Some Smart Ass Officers To Run $hit and Engineers to Build $hit and The Costumes have Changed to Darth Vader's Liking. :)
 Leviathan
09-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Clones weren't turned bad... They just obeyed to the Republic, symbolized by the Supreme Chancellor. Moreover, you said Sidious gave Order 66 to Commander Cody and so, get the command of the Clone Army : That's wrong ! Palpatine always had the control of this army, and Cody wasn't the only ARC trooper belonging to it...
 TK-8252
09-04-2005, 5:51 PM
Cody wasn't the only ARC trooper belonging to it...

Cody's not an ARC Trooper.
Page: 2 of 3