Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The Desert and Jailbreak

Page: 1 of 1
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-02-2001, 7:55 PM
Thought I would introduce you to these two scenarios, one which is a classic from AoK, and one that I made myself. These are both custom scenarios.

JAILBREAK!

Player 1, the host, starts of with a prison, with the other players' villagers in cells inside the prison. Each player has a small pile of stone (ore in GB), and must mine 100 stone/ore and tribute it to the host to be released (each player has a market on a hidden-away spot on the map). Once the villagers are free, they must exit the prison (and, in the game I played, go by means of transport over the prison moat) to the mainland and build a town center and start a civilisation.

The map is made up like this:
Middle: Prison, sorrounded by a large watermass.

Western (left) corner, cliffed island, sorrounded by the same watermass: A group of torches and a single unit belonging to player 1. This area is used to ban players with, as the torches are equipped with events that destroys all a player's units and structures when the host's unit touches it.

Northern (top) corner, also sorrounded by water: Another untouchable, cliffed island with the players' markets (or spaceports in GB). Needed by the players to be able to send the ore to the host.

About 50% of the map: The mainland where the players dwell after being set free.

My rating: 4 out of 5.

The Desert
This is the one I'm considering making.

Players starts out with a base at an edge of the large desert. In the middle of the map is a vast desert exposed to the deadly ultraviolet rays of the orbiting sun and cursed with intense heat. Any unit entering the desert will slowly lose HP from fatigue and dehydration, and only a few oasis provide a welcome shelter and resting point for the travellers... welcome to the Desert.

As mentioned, the players starts with bases, and must build a city safe from the sun while exploring the wastelands trying to find the oasises and shady mountain ranges in it, as well as their opponents. The players cannot encounter each others without crossing the desert. Expect fast-moving fighters to be popular in this level, as they can move fast and therefore cross the desert without taking as much damage as usual. You can also set up bases with healing units in the oasises, and have travellers knocking on the gates, begging to enter..

What I'm considering adding/making:

Research sun resistance: When civs reach a specific tech level (4, most likely), they no longer take damage from the sun.

Status: I'm currently making a test scenario in AoK 2, but the problem is I can't find an event that damages the units instead of killing them! I seem to remember it is, tough, I'm 99% sure. Maybe it's in the Conquerors expansion pack, which I hasn't installed on this computer yet..
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-03-2001, 11:14 PM
(Come on alredy, tell me what you think!)

Update: Yes, the "damage troops" effect is in AoK: TC, and it works! As a result, expect to see the Desert as a GB scenario. Another update: As the units lose HP really fast, I've added refreshing oasis areas and shaded mountain ranges, as well as some lone trees to support one or two units (like a scout bike, some troopers, a worker droid (Repairer) and a medic in a transport. Nice early-game recon task force).

STRATEGIES:

Secure all safe spots near your base. If you don't, the enemy will use them to reach you. If you can control the frontiers of your territory, you should be safe in early-to mid-game.
 Emp_Palpatine
10-04-2001, 4:16 AM
lol. WONDERFUL CLASSIC!! nice idea dude
 Wade Vox
10-11-2001, 2:51 PM
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!
 darth_beast
10-14-2001, 1:04 AM
sounds cool
 Jedi_Knight
10-26-2001, 3:24 AM
When you make those maps you have to tell us all the desert map would be cool to play on:D
 idiot00001
10-28-2001, 6:56 PM
Good idea.
 Paragon_Leon
10-30-2001, 5:40 AM
the jailbreak-idea sounds stunning... with SW, i would imagine Bespin serving as the jail, since we've seen that kind of scenario in action in ESB..
 crazy_dog
10-30-2001, 3:28 PM
Hay, maybe u could do the desert scenario for GB but set in space near a black hole (say the Maw). As units approach the massive the black hole, it's gravity starts sucking away the unit's health. The only way to restore health is onasteroids scatteread around. And between the black hole and asteroids there is normal space, and each player starts on an asteroid. U can play any civs u want as most have space capabilities.

There is space terrain so this is possible.
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-30-2001, 7:42 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
the jailbreak-idea sounds stunning... with SW, i would imagine Bespin serving as the jail, since we've seen that kind of scenario in action in ESB..

I was thinking Kessel. It's the prison world of Star Wars. Then the host is Imperial, and the prison is on an oval asteroid set in space (huge map). Then some tiles away, out of sight of the asteroid, is a large planet map with forests/cliffs blocking the players from seeing the space thing. It will work like this:

The player starts in a 5x5 tile or so cell with two villagers (with a locked gate). He's got a nova/ore processing plant and an ore stockpile. When he has 100 ore he must tribute it to the host, who unlocks the gate setting the prisoners free. Then, they are free to move to a spaceport with awaiting shuttles. The villagers then board the shuttles, and it takes them to the planet world.

Note that when the player's villagers are on the shuttle, they cannot be seen. That way, you'll not actually see the space map suddenly changing into a land map.

The villagers are left somewhere on the planet, the shuttle flies back home, and the game begins..

Eventually, of course, the players will gain air units and they'll see the space map thing again, but so what? Fighters are supposed to be able to enter space. Another idea would be to have other asteroids in space that players can move to. Oh, and neutral cities on other planets outside the player's planet. Also imperial trade routes (man, I'm taking off :p. I'm looking so forward to playing this (or in my case, making it):D!!).

----

Regarding the desert map, about every imaginable scenario can be used.

Desert -Heat
Bespin hovering city -Gravity stress
Space -Radiation, gravity (thank you, crazy_dog)
Sea -Powerful winds and currents.

That's four already.

----
 Paragon_Leon
10-31-2001, 8:57 AM
I was thinking Bespin because that tileset is in the Editor as well..
Do people even KNOW how Kessel looks ?
 Dagobahn Eagle
10-31-2001, 6:44 PM
Desert.. sand.. you fought in the air over it in Rogue Squadron (Prisons of Kessel) and in space by it in X-Wing Alliance (Battle 6 Mission 7).
 DashRendar
11-27-2001, 12:09 PM
:) I love these ideas but I think it would be cool if the objective in JAILBREAK! was to get away then ally with the other ex-cons and take down the Jail
 Dagobahn Eagle
11-27-2001, 7:16 PM
Originally posted by DashRendar
:) I love these ideas but I think it would be cool if the objective in JAILBREAK! was to get away then ally with the other ex-cons and take down the Jail

There is an AoK scenario just like that, it's called "Nazi prison" and the objective is to escape, then come back and free all the others.

Saw it once on the zone, never after that :(.

[quote]Do people even KNOW how Kessel looks ?[/qoute]

It's a big orange rock potato in deep space in an area with tons of black holes.
Page: 1 of 1