Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mapping Issues

Page: 1 of 1
 Taters-N-Cheese
08-25-2004, 3:27 PM
Hey, all. I've been having mapping troubles. Anyone know what I should do?

1. I put music in a folder in base like this: base/music/rebelship/tunnels.mp3

In Radient, I mapped this through the worldspawn like this: Music music/rebelship/tunnels

I also tried in the worldspawn adding base/ to the beginning. The game keeps saying that it can't find explicit track or music entry. What should I do?

Do you have any suggestions? I'd much appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks all. Soon, I hope to have this duel map finished and out there for the community. Thanks!
 acdcfanbill
08-25-2004, 11:35 PM
moved to ZEE MAPPING FORUMS, JA! :p
 MeowTown
08-26-2004, 1:58 AM
take out the base/ and keep it as music/rebelship/tunnels
Also, you can only hear music when u load the map as a pk3...heres a tutorial on making the pk3 http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn7.html)
When u make the pk3, make sure you remove yourmap.bsp from base/maps, or it will load that and not the pk3.
 mslaf
08-26-2004, 9:03 AM
First of all, you don't need to create any pk3s unless you want to replace original game content.

You need to create a “music entry” as you were notified. I don't have JA in front of me but as far as I know a correct "music entry" contains few files: one with the music when you explore, one when you fight etc…

Like:

tunnel_explore.mp3
tunnel...art0.mp3
tunnel...art0.mp3
tunnel_something.mp3

I’m sorry but I don't remember exact names. Look inside asset files for correct names.

Then all you need is tunnel_explore.mp3. The rest of files (atr0...) could be empty sounds or copies of tunnel_explore.mp3.
 wedge2211
08-26-2004, 7:53 PM
Please don't mind mslaf, he has a tendency to make things WAY more complicated than they need to be.

A .pk3 is NOT for overriding game files, it's merely a way of compressing game content, specific to the Q3A engine. It's an efficient way of packaging maps for final release.

Now, for your music problem...you don't need to worry about the action, explore, etc music files...those are only if you want dynamic music tracks in a single-player mission. Looks like you just want the same song repeated, perhaps for a MP map, and the solution is simple: change the entry in the worldspawn to include the .mp3 file extension! Then just make sure that either you type set sv_pure 0 in the console before loading your map; or put the music file in a pk3 in the appropriate directory (and definitely do this before releasing your map!!).
 shukrallah
08-26-2004, 9:40 PM
Exactly like wedge said, you forgot the .mp3!
 mslaf
08-27-2004, 5:42 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211

A .pk3 is NOT for overriding game files, it's merely a way of compressing game content, specific to the Q3A engine. It's an efficient way of packaging maps for final release.
I meant: you don’t need to create pk3 archives when you’re developing your mod. If something doesn’t work it’s because it was incorrect (like missing .mp3) not because it wasn’t packed. You CAN and you should make it for the final release.
 Taters-N-Cheese
09-02-2004, 5:23 PM
Thanks all. The level's already out, now though. I figured it out. Thanks much for all the volunteered advice, though I just now found out there were more posts! :D Thanks!

Check out my map; it's called Disabled Rebel Ship!

Let me know what you think of it via email!

THANKS

TATERS
Page: 1 of 1