Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Robe creation tutorial!!

Page: 1 of 1
 PrtyLizardJedi
08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
I made a new tutorial, this one on Robe creation. Check it out at my site, front page (www.freewebs.com/myzips).

And some feedback oughta be nice
 Achilles
08-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by PrtyLizardJedi
I made a new tutorial, this one on Robe creation. Check it out at my site, front page (www.freewebs.com/myzips).

Prtylizardjedi,

More tutorials are a good thing :D. Here are my thoughts based on what I saw:

Pros:
Screen shots - Screen shots are always helpful, especially for new people who are not familiar with the programs.

Language - People just getting into this can be intimidated by the lingo. You did a good job of keeping it easy to understand.

Opportunities for improvement for future versions:
Most of this tutorial seemed to be about editing uti's. There are already about 4 tutorials that do this, to the best of my knowledge (2 of them are mine :D). I'm not sure that this particular tutorial covers any new ground. It does have a lot of opportunity though, and I'll offer my thoughts on that momentarily

Many of the steps that you included are not necessary or are harder than they have to be (i.e. thanks to Fred Tetra updates, all of the GFF Editor steps that you outlined can be done in KT).

Where your tutorial had the biggest chance to make an impact is the PS section. Your tutorial tells readers what to do, but does not tell them how to do it.

Perhaps more emphasis can be placed on how to use PS to make the changes that you outline in your tutorial. This will help new people understand how the tool works, thereby giving them the skills they need to make their own items.

I hope that this feedback helps. Great effort! :D
 abcdow
08-25-2004, 12:34 PM

Loved your retexturing tutorial, and look forward to trying this one as well!
 PrtyLizardJedi
08-26-2004, 11:39 AM
Thanks Achillies. You are a man (I think :D) of the right words.
I don't have the most recent update then. I'll do an update on the tutorial, if I have time

Originally posted by Achilles

Where your tutorial had the biggest chance to make an impact is the PS section. Your tutorial tells readers what to do, but does not tell them how to do it.

I included the link to my Texturing tutorial to shorten the tutorial, not to overwhelm readers, as the how-to-do of retexturing is pretty well explained in my other tutorial.

Most of this tutorial seemed to be about editing uti's. There are already about 4 tutorials that do this, to the best of my knowledge (2 of them are mine :D). I'm not sure that this particular tutorial covers any new ground. It does have a lot of opportunity though, and I'll offer my thoughts on that momentarily

The fact they exist doesn't mean they've been definetly read, no offense meant.
 Achilles
08-26-2004, 12:30 PM
None taken.

I won't say that I understand your desire to recreate work that has already been done (again, unless you feel you know a better method...cuz then you'd be improving the work :))

It seems your tutorial could have had two lines....

"go read this tutorial <link>....
....then go read this one <link>"

Looking forward to seeing a 5th .uti editing tutorial :D
 PrtyLizardJedi
08-27-2004, 9:21 AM
..................... if that's your opinion.....................

But note that thy tutorial included property editing with KT as far as I know
 Achilles
08-27-2004, 2:54 PM
..................... if that's your opinion.....................

But note that thy tutorial included property editing with KT as far as I know
Oh! So it's just like this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132253) one then? :D:D:D
Again, if you are offering something new, then go nuts. If not...well, still go nuts. Just realize that you're reinventing the wheel :)
 Darth_ToMeR
08-27-2004, 3:10 PM
Nice.
 PrtyLizardJedi
08-28-2004, 9:09 AM
Oh! So it's just like this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132253) one then? :D:D:D
Again, if you are offering something new, then go nuts. If not...well, still go nuts. Just realize that you're reinventing the wheel :)

Didn't know 'bout that :D

Anyway, if you disagree, you can.

Why must I go nuts? I already am

What's this talk about a wheel, anyway?
 Doc Valentine
08-28-2004, 8:50 PM
Excellent job Prty, great tutorial, very clear and descriptive. Like those pregnancy test comercials "Car Design 9% clear, PrtyLizardJedi's tutorials 100% clear". Good job dude, hope to see more from you. Truely this is amazing.

That being said....
It seems your tutorial could have had two lines....

"go read this tutorial <link>....
....then go read this one <link>"

Looking forward to seeing a 5th .uti editing tutorial
Excellent way to show your support Achillies!

Oh! So it's just like this one then?
Again, if you are offering something new, then go nuts. If not...well, still go nuts. Just realize that you're reinventing the wheel
From what i can see, you are just pissed at Prty cuz he made a tutorial better than yours, and it is unfair to be rude to him because of this, if it isnt that way i appologize but thats exactly how it looks.

It wouldn't kill you to be more supportive of other people, there are ways of helping other than flaming them. If you dont have something nice to type dont type it at all.

Oh BTW you can go nuts too achillies, but remember YOU are reinventing Tento_Spear:D
 Lord of Banthas
08-28-2004, 8:53 PM
PrtyLizardJedi I applaud your efforts in creating yet another great tutorial with something many tutorials lack: screenshots :)

However... I feel like Achillies' responses have been just outright rude towards someone who did nothing to deserve it.

I also applaud PrtyLizardJedi's reaction to what I consider offending responses however I feel as if someone needs to stand up to Achillies on this one.

However I've come off-track here since the thread is all about the tut Prty made.

I hope that's over with and we can get back on track here. :(
 Achilles
08-28-2004, 10:15 PM
It appears that some people may be reading too much into my posts (easy to do with the written word).

PrtyLizardJedi,
By all means, make your tutorial. I really don't have any personal feelings about your tutorial one way or another.

My stance regarding tutorials in general is that they should be concise and helpful and if they aren't then they should be replaced (much the way a Sith Apprentice kills a Sith Lord and take his role :D).

I don't think any of my response have stated that you shouldn't make your tutorial. I do think that all of my messages have stated that if you are going to make another uti tutorial, then you should probably make it better than any of the ones that currently exist, otherwise you're:

a) Doing work that's already been done
b) Confusing the newbies

Regardless of what GSCCC thinks, my motivations are to ensure (to the best of my ability) that the best tutorial makes it into the hands of those that use them. If you think you can do that, than please do.

GSCCC,

From what i can see, you are just pissed at Prty cuz he made a tutorial better than yours, and it is unfair to be rude to him because of this, if it isnt that way i appologize but thats exactly how it looks.

It wouldn't kill you to be more supportive of other people, there are ways of helping other than flaming them. If you dont have something nice to type dont type it at all.

Oh BTW you can go nuts too achillies, but remember YOU are reinventing Tento_Spear
*sigh* Eventually, you will learn that things like this belong in private messages...

Considering the fact that his tutorial had incorrect information in it, I am hard pressed to understand how it was "better than mine" (no offense PrtyLizardJedi). If someone comes along and makes a tutorial that is easier to follow/comprehend/understand than mine, then the forum benefits and that's all I care about. I don't expect you to understand.

The rest of your message reminds me of the pot that called the kettle black and really doesn't deserve a response.

Lord of Banthas,
Please find one rude message that I have posted and PM me with it. I will be happy to discuss the context of any message that I post with you if you would like. In the mean time, please rest assured that no one needs to "stand up to me". I'm not a school yard bully trying to scare kids out of their lunch money :D

Now, if everyone is finished, can we please get this thread back on subject (PrtyLizardJedi's Tutorial for those of you watching at home) :D
 PrtyLizardJedi
08-29-2004, 4:33 AM
Yeah. We should get back on track. And our Dear Jedi Watchman, no offense meant, you did sound a little agressive. Thanks for the support, LoB and Gsccc
 Achilles
08-29-2004, 5:25 AM
Yeah. We should get back on track. And our Dear Jedi Watchman, no offense meant, you did sound a little agressive. Thanks for the support, LoB and Gsccc
No aggression intended. If you can top my tutorial, please do so with the assurance that there is no will-ill....just come correct or don't come at all :D
 Xavier
08-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Actually i can't download both tutorials. The server seems to have a problem.
 Xavier
08-29-2004, 10:49 AM
My stance regarding tutorials in general is that they should be concise and helpful and if they aren't then they should be replaced
all of my messages have stated that if you are going to make another uti tutorial, then you should probably make it better than any of the ones that currently exist, otherwise you're:

a) Doing work that's already been done
b) Confusing the newbies

Regardless of what GSCCC thinks, my motivations are to ensure (to the best of my ability) that the best tutorial makes it into the hands of those that use them.
Positioning yourself within a side is rather dangerous in such a place, even more when there isn't a "dark" and "light" sides to the matter. But i'm willing to take that risk, than standing in a wall.

Being myself a "newbie" as you say, with no knowledge of what to do and where to start with, i found the amount of tutorials around, lacking of something. It seems that the many individuals effort to explain the process is causing an effect Achiles allerted, wich is saying things already said and making the work for us much more time consuming and frustating (reporting you to other tutorials, for example, makes the work for the author easier and to us harder).

I think, for me at least would be best to make a cooperative effort to complemment the tutorials so we don't get stuck with questions, or worst, getting lost and unable to formulate questions at all.:confused:

For instance T7nowhere KOTOR Tool tutorial is very good explaining KT navegation. But doesn't say what to do to start modding, extracting, editing, integration with other tools and so on. (I know the T7nowhere tutorial was not made for it but i wish it would).

Oh! i should also say i'm not talking particularly about PrtyLizardJedi tutorial, wich i haven't read yet, but tutorials in general.

And so you know i appreciate all your effort to make the job for us "newbies" easier and it's not my intention to be over critic, just trying to offer my thoughts in improving the didactic of the tutorials (i work in the educational area, Xavier school for the gifted, maybe you heard of it.)

Any comments would be very wellcomed.
 En liten mus
08-29-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Xavier
Positioning yourself within a side is rather dangerous in such a place, even more when there isn't a "dark" and "light" sides to the matter. But i'm willing to take that risk, than standing in a wall.

Being myself a "newbie" as you say, with no knowledge of what to do and where to start with, i found the amount of tutorials around, lacking of something. It seems that the many individuals effort to explain the process is causing an effect Achiles allerted, wich is saying things already said and making the work for us much more time consuming and frustating (reporting you to other tutorials, for example, makes the work for the author easier and to us harder).

I think, for me at least would be best to make a cooperative effort to complemment the tutorials so we don't get stuck with questions, or worst, getting lost and unable to formulate questions at all.:confused:

For instance T7nowhere KOTOR Tool tutorial is very good explaining KT navegation. But doesn't say what to do to start modding, extracting, editing, integration with other tools and so on. (I know the T7nowhere tutorial was not made for it but i wish it would).

Oh! i should also say i'm not talking particularly about PrtyLizardJedi tutorial, wich i haven't read yet, but tutorials in general.

And so you know i appreciate all your effort to make the job for us "newbies" easier and it's not my intention to be over critic, just trying to offer my thoughts in improving the didactic of the tutorials (i work in the educational area, Xavier school for the gifted, maybe you heard of it.)

Any comments would be very wellcomed.

Some very deep words there...or are you completly confused :p

I myslef have problems with every turial i get.....i dont know why....evn is it shows you down to every press on the mouse and where to put the mouse (well mabey) i still wouldent get it....i guess im just to careless to realy try to understand what is says....but the HEx editor things for the other custom items turials just looks like chines (no offence to anyone i hope) nomatter how much i consentrat on understanding it...il give this turial a shot....:D :D if i get it......YOU SHOULD BE HONORD PartylIzard :p :p :p

Thread closed to prevent further resurrection for flaming. --Jae
Page: 1 of 1