Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

gmax help

Page: 1 of 1
 abcdow
08-24-2004, 11:38 PM
Okay, I really am trying to create some new armor on my own, but I just seem to be banging my head against a wall.
I am now able to retextue, thanks to PrtyLizardJedi's step by step tutorial.
And I know how to extract mdl's and convert them to ascii.mdl's. But I don't understand how to create a model with my own idea. I know there are lots of tutorials in the stickies, but I just keep hitting dead ends (at least in trying to figure things out). I realize I'm asking alot, but if someone could provide me with a step by step for making new armor/robes, similar to the PrtyLizardJedi's retexturing tutorial I'm sure I'd be well on my way, to understanding alot of the other tutorials out there.
Thanks
 cchargin
08-25-2004, 12:02 AM
Hello,

Sorry, but new armor is not really supported. The current mdlops requires an original kotor armor to read the "skin and bones" information.

I suggest that you just modify an existing armor. Pushing vertices around should be safe.
 PrtyLizardJedi
08-25-2004, 10:34 AM
CChargin, seeing you as an user of GMax, can you give me a few pointers, as I am a newbie at Gmaxing and I would like to make new models
 Darth333
08-25-2004, 11:18 AM
PrtyLizardJedi

This is a very general question. Start looking at the Sitckies: the "Guide for the Newbie" as well as the "Do you want to mod SW-kotor" both have links to tutorials.
 abcdow
08-25-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by cchargin
Hello,

Sorry, but new armor is not really supported. The current mdlops requires an original kotor armor to read the "skin and bones" information.

I suggest that you just modify an existing armor. Pushing vertices around should be safe.

Thanks cchargin, that is more help than you can possibly know. I was trying to figure out how to create my own "skin and bones".
 Rogue9dlb
08-25-2004, 4:35 PM
cchargin, got a question on modeling and armors;

I know we can't make new armor models form scratch, but to what extent can we mod the existing armor models?
 cchargin
08-25-2004, 6:28 PM
Hello all,

CChargin, seeing you as an user of GMax, can you give me a few pointers
Ok, let me clear something up here. I know how to run gmax and push some verticies around, but I am not a 3D artist! I am a sysadmin\scientist\coder not an artist. I WISH I had artistic talent! ;) Whenever someone asks me about modelling or textures I always tell them to talk to the people here at the forums. Look through a few threads and it is obvious who the real artists are around here.

I know we can't make new armor models form scratch, but to what extent can we mod the existing armor models?
To be honest, I don't know! When I was making mdlops I was trying to add functionality as best I could. Then I got stuck at some things that I had no idea how to replicate. That led me to "cheating". Armor and bodies is one of the places where I "cheated". I added the ability to modify armor so that the modding community could try it out and figure out what works and what doesn't then report it here so that everyone else would know and I would have input to try and fix it.

The only things I am pretty sure about is you should not add or delete bones. You should also not change any names of the parts.
 PrtyLizardJedi
08-26-2004, 9:28 AM
Originally posted by Darth333
PrtyLizardJedi

This is a very general question. Start looking at the Sitckies: the "Guide for the Newbie" as well as the "Do you want to mod SW-kotor" both have links to tutorials.

I wasn't under the impressino it had model tutorials
Page: 1 of 1