Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Request: Linux port of current Basic

Page: 1 of 1
 Kurgan
08-17-2004, 8:52 PM
A simple request, not a demand, mind you. ;)

Can we have (sometime in the near future) a Basic linux port?

I would really love to use the TAB Bots, and siege fixes (forced team switching, fixed selective voting, exploit fixes) on a dedicated server, but currently I can't do that, because the only server versions available are either win32 only or have the saber code in them from enhanced.

I know you're busy Raz and have your own schedule and you can't control the Linux guy and his schedule, but I just thought I'd get that on the table. ; )

I just really, really, really want to see that...

Running a Siege server if you can't be there 24/7 is just hard without those fixes.

People complain the most about teams being unbalanced (impossible to maintain without some kind of automated team switching) and about the Siege exploits (you know what I mean) and the bots (but without bots, your game will be empty in no time).

I can't post as much these days 'cause I'm either at work or on my way to bed (long hours). I also want to say that I'm a patient guy. My server went down nearly 2 months ago, and since then I've been waiting and hoping you'll release it, so I can start my new server with a decent mod like OJP going ("enhanced won't work for my purposes obviously). It sounds to me like everything is done, all you need do is get your Linux guy to port it and then put up the download link. Right? Or is there something more? What I mean is, it wouldn't take away from what you're currently working on would it?

Thanks again and good luck to you!
 razorace
08-17-2004, 8:58 PM
I'd love to, but the people I had that could do linux ports have either disappeared or had their computers blow up.

Maybe if you posted on jk.net that we need a linux compiler(s) that would help?
 Kurgan
08-17-2004, 9:00 PM
Whoa, thanks for responding so soon. I'll try that.. hopefully something will happen.

I was about to edit the thread title to say "beta" at the end so you'd know I didn't mean something else, but you got it. ; )

I'm a little sleepy.. here goes nothing!
 RoxStar
08-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Can you run JA on linux?:confused:
 razorace
08-18-2004, 2:10 PM
Not the actual game, but a vast majority of the servers use linux when running the dedicated servers.
 Kurgan
08-20-2004, 5:19 PM
Posted.

Let's hope somebody respondes...
 Kurgan
08-24-2004, 6:27 PM
Anything?
 razorace
08-24-2004, 10:45 PM
had one response, but no results yet.
 Kurgan
08-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Well, at least that's something.

Tell him that if he does well, Kurgan's Meatgrinder will return soon...

I found a decent host, now if they stay in business long enough for me to get a Siege server started... but I really want those siege fixes/tab bots for it!
 Lathain Valtiel
08-29-2004, 4:45 PM
Erm.. Well, i got in contact with Tchouky, and he said he'd do it provided:

A) He gets a zip file with all of the relevant files, including a linux makefile.

and also a question:

<Tchouky> and i want him to check if he used
<Tchouky> the universal source
<Tchouky> thingy
<Tchouky> or the linux patch
<Tchouky> (there are a few litle changes)
<Tchouky> off course linux can open a zip ^^
<Lathain_Valtiel> Which is preferable?
<Tchouky> ...
<Tchouky> its the same thing
<Tchouky> the universal source
<Tchouky> has the linux patch
<Tchouky> applied
<Tchouky> thats all
<Tchouky> i dont wana have to corect your mistakes
<Tchouky> right ?
<Lathain_Valtiel> LOL
<Lathain_Valtiel> I'm not involved in OJP... Just want a Linux server file
<Tchouky> right
<Lathain_Valtiel> Hm. I'll need to get in contact with razorace first of course, heh.
<Lathain_Valtiel> Is there anything else?
<Tchouky> no i think thats all

So yeah. Heh.
 razorace
08-29-2004, 7:42 PM
I don't think I have the makefile. Besides, the makefile would have to be modifed to include the new additions to the code.
 Lathain Valtiel
09-01-2004, 2:15 AM
Eeh... He can't do it apparently without one... Oh well.

<Lathain_Valtiel> Hey Tch, is it absolutely essential for razor to provide a makefile? (Wouldn't know, not a Linux user)
<Tchouky> i told you he had to include the changes from the linuxatch
<Tchouky> linux patch
<Tchouky> and if he had done that
<Tchouky> he will have the makefile
<Tchouky> so yes
<Lathain_Valtiel> Ah. He said he didn't have it. Damn.
<Tchouky> then that means he didnt aply the changes
<Tchouky> and that the source will not even compile
<Tchouky> correctly

Err.. Yeah. Heh.
 razorace
09-01-2004, 6:05 AM
actually, it should already compile on linux. We already did the nessicary changes to get it to compile in linux. However, it sounds like the makefile was lost.
 Kurgan
09-01-2004, 11:25 AM
For the non-Linux user.. what does that mean?
 razorace
09-01-2004, 12:16 PM
basically, it's a batch file that tells the compiler how to compile the program.
 Kurgan
09-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Any luck getting testers/test server for this?
 razorace
09-11-2004, 2:39 PM
Getting there. In talks with Amdala.
 Kurgan
09-18-2004, 12:43 PM
Great to see some progress. I should be back home sometime monday, maybe I can check out the server?

Hopefully you'll have the file(s) (any needed) available by then...
 Kurgan
10-18-2004, 4:56 PM
Well (obviously) I couldn't make the test.

Weird about the infamous CL_Parsepackeentities thing. Were people using cracks or something? What gives?

Good luck. I would love to see TAB bots in CTF, that sounds cool....

Put in another plug for you guys, hopefully you'll get some more help.
 razorace
10-18-2004, 7:05 PM
Well, I've added CTF support to the Tabbots. They need more tweaking but they work for the moment.

Anyway, as for the cl error, I have no idea. Unfortunately, I don't have two legal copies with which to test it.
Page: 1 of 1