Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Custom Animation File set available at PCgamemods

Page: 1 of 1
 keshire
08-13-2004, 7:10 AM
I uploaded the file set I use to create custom animations at pcgamemods. Feel free to post any questions regarding it here.

I would post a link but I can't get to pcgamemods while I'm at work.
 Hellfire Jedi
08-14-2004, 10:46 PM
Bleh, I wanna try animation in max, I've done tooooo many HL milky animations. Which one do I import etc? :D
 keshire
08-15-2004, 7:31 AM
Which one do I import etc?

come again? Do you mean export? If so then you export to xsi and then compile it.

//Linky to files.

Custom Animation File Set (http://www.pcgamemods.com/6678/)

//relevant threads on the subject.

NEW ANIMATIONS IN JKA - HowTo (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125969)

NEW ANIMATIONS IN JKA/JK2 - HowTo (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107116)

I'd also be interest to see anybody's work in this thread also.
 Hellfire Jedi
08-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Ehh, I'm not starting from scratch if thats what you're implying. :confused:
 keshire
08-18-2004, 7:08 AM
Ok I'm going to start posting progress of my new saber style here.

I have the seven cardinal directions done.
And I'm progressing on spins/combo's

anybody have a place to upload divx or quicktime movies? I'll keep them below a meg apiece.

and here are the references I'm using. The style is a one-handed, and similar to dooku's.

Alternate Duel (http://www.theforce.net/theater/fxprojects/AlternateDuel/index.shtml)

Art of the Saber (http://www.theforce.net/theater/fxprojects/artofthesaber/index.shtml)

Brains and Steel (http://theforce.net/theater/shortfilms/brains/)

Ryan vs Dorkman (http://www.theforce.net/theater/fxprojects/ryandork/index.shtml)

nothing's more fun than throwing these into max and doing some rotoscoping with a Biped. :)

And I really hope to inspire people to start animating, even if it isn't for JKA stuff. (the skeleton I set up will work for JO, its all dependant on what kind of model you use to compile it.)
 keshire
08-26-2004, 6:53 AM
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Aug/20048257327473589328761.jpg)

Mixing animations to get the transitions. :)

Also Movie Battles will be released with new animations compliments of me this weekend.
 Hellfire Jedi
08-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Ok, say if I create an animation from the .max file you included (deleting all keyframes) how would I go and export this as a .bip or whatever?
 keshire
08-27-2004, 12:47 AM
You don't export BIP files they are saved through the character studio menu.

If your referring to XSI export you need the xsi 3.0 exporter from the jedi outcast tools. The dotxsi version of the exporter may work but it crashes me pretty much all the time.
 keshire
08-27-2004, 6:56 AM
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Aug/20048266806896629467941.jpg)

Idle stance for the Saber Style.

For the most part I am done. Just need to tweak some attacks to make them more effective.
 Hellfire Jedi
08-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Would I need to weight the model over if I re-did a few animations?
 keshire
08-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Of course not. This is just animation data. That is compiled into a gla. From then you can leave it seperate for cinematics in single player or merge it in with the main animation gla.
 Hellfire Jedi
08-28-2004, 11:16 AM
ok, thanks for staying with me here. :D i'm a noob to JA editing. so i'd need to have the original reference files for the model to implement my animations?
 keshire
08-29-2004, 1:09 AM
so i'd need to have the original reference files for the model to implement my animations?

Nope, thanks to Corto and ASK. There's a program that will merge new gla's into the old one. I got the original xsi files from Raven for those that would like to use them in other projects.
 Shady-D
08-29-2004, 2:14 AM
well i didnt really used your files, i used the jka skeleton downloadable at phykosiths site i think, neways i animated it (without a mesh) so i exported it as new_stance.xsi and frame 0 was davinchi pose, frame 1,2 were the stance itself, i also exported a root.xsi wich contained the skeleton in davinchi pose. i compiled, it went fine, so now it was time to merge the .gla 's but gla merge said something like : not the same ammount of bones, or atleast something that looks like that :p so neways got the solution for me keshire? or any other living jka legend?
 LightNinja
09-06-2004, 6:18 AM
yep, it cant be done as shady says? i d/led it and i extracted it out in a folder but when i open that MAX it says it donesnt find the bits in the correct folder (your origial folder kesh), and then i dont know how to edit it; it isnt like doing new animations so im completly lost :confused:
 keshire
09-06-2004, 8:50 PM
i used the jka skeleton downloadable at phykosith

Not going to work.

Let me try and explain how this works.

Only the animation data is used. This isn't the same as weighting a character,

So if say, certain bones aren't there, or are there but are not in the exact position they need to be you'll get all kinds of wierd errors.

in order for the aniamtion to work every bone in the JKA skeleton has to be weighted to something on compile. That is what determines how many bones are in use. the bones,wsaber mesh xsi that I included has all the correct bones for the JKA skeleton. It can also be modified to work for JO too.

And if the max file is asking for some BIP files you can ignore that. It was motion flow stuff I was working on when I saved it.
 LightNinja
09-07-2004, 5:17 AM
you didnt understood me, i mean, i cant move that skelleton in the max; and if i ever move it and do a animation, then i should export is as xsi 3.0 right?
 keshire
09-07-2004, 8:20 PM
Correct xsi 3.0. I've only heard of one other person who has had the problem of not being able to move the center of mass of the Biped and I have no idea what would cause it. You'd have to talk to Leslie Judge to see if he got it figured out.

Unfortunately 3ds max is too fickle for me to tech support over the net.
 LightNinja
09-08-2004, 6:47 AM
well, i think, i leave this :(
 LightNinja
09-13-2004, 8:37 AM
Ok i made a new animation with character studio and that skelleton, the only thing i get lost is in exporting it to make the .gla, i have go to "New animations in JK2/JA" thread and i have readen how they must be done in JA but the problem is i dont know how to do the .gla because it is suposed that a new glm should be done but assimilate says that bip01 is not weighted.
I know that im doing wrong pressing the B button at assimilate, but in that thread there isnt a clear explanation about how to do the "my_gla.gla". In that thread it says something to open carcass or take a .car which comes with the SDK and suddenly it says that "your.gla" appears aparently from nothing cuz i dont see what i have to do.
:confused: :/
 LightNinja
09-13-2004, 10:36 AM
http://img32.exs.cx/img32/4062/test18.gif)

also this is the animation, simple :p
 keshire
09-13-2004, 8:41 PM
I see you figured out your other problem. :)

As for assimilate. Don't use it. Its a piece of crap. Use the most current version of carcass. Carcass is a command line program. But the easiest way to use it is to set up the .car file to point to the files you need. Then drag it onto the carcass.exe.

The humnaoid.car that was included in the files should work once you set up the directories in it to point to your files.
 keshire
09-14-2004, 1:01 AM
Once you manage to successfully get an anim merged into the game. You'll realize just how easy it actually is. And once you get to that point I'll show you some tricks that will help you out. (for use with the TMU mod) :)

Make sure the first frame (frame 0) is the base pose (jka.bip, make sure that orient to z plane is OFF) though. Otherwise the anim will screw up when it's merged.
 LightNinja
09-14-2004, 10:14 AM
im just going to animate the sentinel, i never had the idea of doing player anims, ill try what you said.
But, the orient z thing is off when you put it 24 in the car, no?; and in the car should i have to add the PCJ bones too fr JKA?.
Also i knew that thing of the 0 frame ;p and yep animating this is easyer than animating bones xD
 LightNinja
09-14-2004, 10:34 AM
ok i saved the .car in the same folder of carcass and then i threw it into carcass, here is what i got:
http://img30.exs.cx/img30/3772/error15.jpg)
:/
 keshire
09-14-2004, 8:52 PM
Use the boneswsaber.xsi for the mesh. The reason for this is because the gla is created using the bones that the mesh is weighted to.

$aseanimref_gla models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla

references the main gla for the way the bones hierarchy is arranged. this is a must if you wish to make seperate gla's for cutscenes in single player

$aseanimgrab models/players/_humanoid/new_anim.xsi

This is the animation it is goign to compile

$aseanimconvertmdx_noask models/players/_humanoid/xsi/boneswsaber

This is the mesh. It sets what bones are used in the gla when compiled. A different mesh could be used to create JO animations.

-makeskel models/players/_humanoid/new_anim -origin 0 0 24

the name of the gla that is created

I beleive that is the problem your having.

Your trying to use the anim as a mesh and it thinks the biped is a mesh with no bones weighted. Even if it did compile you'd have the wrong number of bones and it wouldn't work with JKA I beleive.
 keshire
09-14-2004, 8:56 PM
But, the orient z thing is off when you put it 24 in the car, no?

Yes and no. The skeleton has to be EXACT to the root pose of the main gla. otherwise the animation will be offset and it will not merge correctly (deforming the player).

The origin offset in the .car file makes it so that the root pose is in the correct spot for anims that use both the torso and legs. otherwise the anim would work but not be in the right spot in-game.
 LightNinja
09-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by keshire

$aseanimref_gla models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla

references the main gla for the way the bones hierarchy is arranged. this is a must if you wish to make seperate gla's for cutscenes in single player

$aseanimgrab models/players/_humanoid/new_anim.xsi

This is the animation it is goign to compile

$aseanimconvertmdx_noask models/players/_humanoid/xsi/boneswsaber

i didnt understood this well, (ya i must look a bit retard) may i add you to msn so that i could ask you and get a quicker answer?
The problem must be that i'm not used to know what that "$aseanim" is or how it works but it must be really easy once i understand
edit: another thing i dont understand is how to take the gla out bcuz carcass is made for building a glm with the .gla so im lost :S
 keshire
09-15-2004, 8:18 PM
All those commands are for the .car file. The one I included is exactly what you should use.

The only thing that needs changing is directories where the files are stored, and the anim and gla name.

When carcass starts building the glm and gla. It builds them seperately. The glm is then set to use the built gla. It doesn't come from nowhere. Its built from the animation data.

And yes. My hotmail is keshire_the_chaotic
Page: 1 of 1