Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Invisible brushes from the outside.

Page: 1 of 1
 RDX1
08-11-2004, 9:26 PM
I'm working on an invisible room that is above the map, it is not outside the skybox and it is about 100 meters above the ground. With caulk it allows people to see in, how do I get it so people can't see in what is happening?
 wedge2211
08-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Give it a texture other than caulk.
 Lil Killa
08-11-2004, 10:51 PM
*give the outside face eg. the face on the outside wall needs to have a texture applied to it.

Wedge prety much said it but I wanted to clear it up a tad
 RDX1
08-12-2004, 3:01 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Give it a texture other than caulk.

What texture is invisible besides caulk? I need it to allow people to see outside the box, not allow people to see inside since it's above the ground. I also need it to stay invisible and see through. Is this not posible?
 *Dark
08-12-2004, 5:45 AM
I dont think you can do it how you want. As far as i can tell you want a room that is in the map that can see out into the map, but the people inside cannt be seen them selves, is this correct? If it is then you are best to have the room outside the skybox and use some portals to see into the areas tht you want, although you should be careful because this can lower the fps loads
 WadeV1589
08-12-2004, 7:05 AM
Sounds remarkedly like my invisible tunnel in the Meier maps for Elite Force where you can see and shoot out but the tunnel appears totally invisible from outside.

I used a hack of skybox and area portal covered brushes to confuse the game into working. I'd send you the map file but I lost it a looong time ago...wonder if that tunnel would decompile ok...
 mad mapper
08-12-2004, 9:02 AM
You may try this:

Create the room an texture it with the Clip/Caulk texture completely.
Then set the outside to the texture you used for your skybox.

if there is no shift to be seen, i'll look for a right shader for you.
If you use the standard shader you see the players inside the room
 RDX1
08-12-2004, 1:41 PM
I was thinking of using the skybox, the room is small and won't the textures overlap?
 mad mapper
08-12-2004, 1:59 PM
Yes, the textures will overlap.
Wait a bit. I'll make a test map.
 Nokill
08-12-2004, 2:39 PM
it shoud work but as long you don't place any items in the box it will stay unnoticed good luck
 RDX1
08-12-2004, 7:11 PM
That's the problem. It's going to be a duel room that you teleport to that is hidden above the map that is made out of glass. You duel inside of it and you can look down at the map and what is happening.

There will be people inside and health, armor, so there will be items/people in it. I though it could of been possible. :(
 Nokill
08-12-2004, 11:52 PM
well then you have a smal chance that you can see the powerups

this wil need a lot of work to get it to work i think
 WadeV1589
08-13-2004, 5:58 AM
As I said in my last post, using a combination of area portals and skybox brushes it's quite possible thanks to the games interpretation of it, my map in Elite Force does exactly this to create an invisible corridor that runs alongside one of the main playing areas.
 mad mapper
08-13-2004, 6:49 AM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
As I said in my last post, using a combination of area portals and skybox brushes it's quite possible thanks to the games interpretation of it, my map in Elite Force does exactly this to create an invisible corridor that runs alongside one of the main playing areas.

So you may discribe exactly how to build a corridor like that:D
 WadeV1589
08-13-2004, 7:45 AM
I'll decompile my map and post it for you to try in JA later today.
Page: 1 of 1