Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Whatever happened to easy, fun, and fullfilling?

Page: 1 of 1
 T.I.E
10-02-2001, 6:25 PM
Does anyone out there remember Blue Max on the old Atari Commdore? I used to play that game every day after school when I was like 10 years old...you know what? I am only 25 now. I loved that game, and sometimes I wish games were that simple now. You were a pilot in like WWI and your plane looked like a pixel with wings. The only sounds were your engine and machine gun rattling into an enemy before they made the same sound....boom. SIMPLE. I have right now in my possesion over 100 games, sitting in my dresser drawer. I play only 5......AOK, Conquerors, Combat Mission, Kohan, Unreal Tournament. The rest just are boring, or have horrible AI (YES worse than the demo of BG) or no replayability, lack an essence of history.

I for one have ordered BG and will love it with a passion as it combines several great aspects which are being lost as more games come out and the younger generations are ever more intrigued by sex and violence in games. The game is going to be simple, fun, has an already huge plot line, and colorful civs and characters.
And more replayability than I can even imagine.

People compare it to AOK, and Red Alert 2, Emperor of Dune, and who knows how many more. How can you make a totally new and exciting game?......simple, you cant....red alert 2? more units, a girl with a better body, a new enemy bad dude Yuri.....and we shelled out 50 or so bucks for it blindly hoping it was the cure all. Well it wasnt, they robbed us on the skirmish maps where they did not add computer attacking computer. The missions could be beaten by my 1 1/2 year old son whos total focus is on dare I say it......teletubbies right now. Dune? give me a break, I played the first dune, C+C, red alert, all the same just different make up. Units are dumb as rocks....oh but hey its 3D......just mindless drones handing out money. I looked at the graphics and wondered if the square blob was infantry, a harvester, or some kind of tank......oh yeah but it has a rotating camera!!.....sorry.

Look at Interplays Star Trek franchise....I like Startrek but not as much as Star Wars, but this company took the name and slapped it on poor programming, poor AI, no cool missions, and hardly any replay and called it Star Trek. These guys dont even stay true to the genre...starships not looking right, characters missing from the enterprise, no jean luc, no doctor crusher, no warf, only voices if your lucky. But maybe you will get one or two cameos!!!!
I liked Klingon Academy, but someone explain the Strategy one......something about worlds????

Now we have Lucas Arts......these guys are so picky about what goes in their games I am surprised they have any. I mean look at the demo for instance, yeah it kinda sucked but everything is looking just like from the books and movies did it not? We are lucky I think to even have gotten a demo, this is the first demo from them I have ever had!!!! The way people spout off about it I would not be surprised if there will never be another one. I for one was able to see what everything was, and move them and have them engage the enemy quite easily. Yes Vader and the AT-ST was alittle odd, but it stays with you doesnt it, wondering what they have changed or not changed? I am counting down the days much as I did with Combat Mission.

Lucas Arts make their games to be fun, happy, and everything you know about Star Wars can be used in their games....unlike dune and RA2, and other "3D Realtime Strategy" games which were thought up probably at a pot party....." hey I have a great new unit....a huge blimp that moves so slow my infantry walk faster, lets put bombs on it!!!!" "Cool, great idea, now charge em 50 bucks!!" You dont have to read the book forty times and buy the hint book just to find out what is good against what....you know with Star Wars.

Dont bash Lucasarts for trying to make something great from something like the AOK engine. If you had a good idea of something to build but someone else has the tools would you not borrow them?

I grew up on Star Wars and will die on Star Wars, I hope my children will love Star Wars as much as I have. It does not matter what new stupid 3D engine they make that brings the whole world to its knees in awe, I will bet you one thing about that engine....it will not have the aura or inspiration of the only games, movies, books and toys the universe will ever know throughout mankinds history or future. I am almost positive people will flame me for bashing their favorite games.

I just hope that someone reads this and thinks before listeneing to people comparing this to other games, and remember Lucas Arts is not doing anything the competition isnt, but they are doing it within the genre.
 Tie Guy
10-02-2001, 6:44 PM
wow, i agree with you, in fact, i've always stood up for LEC because of one reason: They make games that are FUN.

Oh, but i don't think that i wasted 50 bucks on ra2, i'm still playing that game now. Its my favorite game to date, non-star wars that is.
 darthfergie
10-02-2001, 6:55 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
wow, i agree with you, in fact, i've always stood up for LEC because of one reason: They make games that are FUN.

Not always which is very unfortunate...
FoCom wasn't that fun:(
Phantom Menace Adventures got anoying:(
Jedi Power Battles was a bit too hard:(
PodRacer got anoying quick:(
Battle For Naboo was a floop:(

Fortunatly we are seeing Lucasarts starting to return to it's former glory with the massive influx of new games which is an unprecedented amount for Lucasarts...:)
 Lord JayVizIon
10-02-2001, 7:00 PM
good comment there, T.I.E.

at first i had my doubts about using the aok engine. but aok is still a great game, and using the foundation it was built on plus adding some new features should make this game worthwhile, and worth 50 bucks.
 VashtheStampede
10-02-2001, 7:03 PM
I have been playing Jedi knight and the first dark forces since they first came out. Both games now show their age, compared to all the other FPS's out there, but I'd pick a good game of JK over Q3 anyday! I love LEC sure their not perfect, but who is? I think they are doing a very good job with the Star Wars gaming, unlike the Star Trek games. The last good Star Trek game was Elite Force, which was just Q3 star trek, but it was the best ST game to date. I think GB will be the same, take something that has proven it's self and make it your own. I'm glad LEC went in this direction! So let's get off their backs, at least until we've played the whole game....

and long live missile command.............
 Necro
10-02-2001, 7:17 PM
i wish i could get jedi power battles on computer :(
 Tie Guy
10-02-2001, 7:48 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie

Not always which is very unfortunate...
FoCom wasn't that fun:(
Phantom Menace Adventures got anoying:(
Jedi Power Battles was a bit too hard:(
PodRacer got anoying quick:(
Battle For Naboo was a floop:(

Fortunatly we are seeing Lucasarts starting to return to it's former glory with the massive influx of new games which is an unprecedented amount for Lucasarts...:)

I thought all those games were fun, except maybe focom...ok, definatly FoCom.

But still, they made a TON of good games back in the day, and they now continue to make games that are fun.

Oh, and JPB was a little hard, but if you used cheats and played multiplayer, it rocked!
 Compa_Mighty
10-02-2001, 8:02 PM
I like they used AoK's engine, the only thing I hope, as I said in my thread, is that this game doesn't become what AoK has become, everything but a game. :(

I mean, I still enjoy it a lot (without the latest patch which is the greatest proof that AoK has turned to a proffesional's only focused game**) , with my friends, and my uncle, but out there in the web, there are really OBSESSED people.

** Anyone want to know why? PM me.
 Darth_Rommel
10-02-2001, 8:07 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Oh, and JPB was a little hard, but if you used cheats and played multiplayer, it rocked!

I totally agree... although I don't want it TOO simplistic...

P.S. There was cheats! Please post!
 Tie Guy
10-02-2001, 8:12 PM
Originally posted by Darth_Rommel

I totally agree... although I don't want it TOO simplistic...

P.S. There was cheats! Please post!

yes, they had cheats, but they all used the gameshark. You can find them at any cheat website such as cheatcc.com
 DarkTrooper
10-02-2001, 8:12 PM
Does anyone out there remember Blue Max on the old Atari Commdore? I used to play that game every day after school when I was like 10 years old...you know what? I am only 25 now. I loved that game, and sometimes I wish games were that simple now. You were a pilot in like WWI and your plane looked like a pixel with wings. The only sounds were your engine and machine gun rattling into an enemy before they made the same sound....boom. SIMPLE. I have right now in my possesion over 100 games, sitting in my dresser drawer. I play only 5......AOK, Conquerors, Combat Mission, Kohan, Unreal Tournament. The rest just are boring, or have horrible AI (YES worse than the demo of BG) or no replayability, lack an essence of history.
i totally agree the classics though they dont have the best graphics they were some of the funest games ever. I have the original Nintendo and when i recently moved i took it too. My favorite game for that was the origanal Zelda with the top-down view yeah!!!!

as i quote from The Drew Carey show "Good Times, Good Times"
 T.I.E
10-02-2001, 9:39 PM
What are you talking about Compa? I was lost in your translation........hows it a professional only game? You know what really made me mad about AOK:TC? The computer guys would gang up on you if you did not set them on their own teams, and it took me many frustrating games to realize that.

I did notice one minor overhaul in the demo, at least it was major to me, look for it. Trying to set up a skirmish, mostly goofing around looking at the tech trees I passed over the teams area and it tells you how to set up the computer so they attack each other. To me thats just alittle reassurance that they are looking to helping people enjoy the game.

I also remember the old Nintendo system, my parents still have my original one sitting in the basement. Hey darktrooper I think they have come along way with having to blow the dust out of the cartridge and pushing it up and down a dozen times just to get the nintendo. Too bad Koei does not make Nobungas Ambition for the computer.

No offense for slamming RA2 but man they are comingf out with Yuris revenge which is cool, but they charge you more for some units and more missions, but we will have unlimited access to units and missions!!! Yeeehaaaa!!!!

Long live the Empire!!!
 Master Yoda
10-02-2001, 10:34 PM
I agree T.I.E every Lucasarts game I have played has been fun, except FoCom. With the games Lucasarts has coming out now they are going to RULE!!!I used to have a NES but I sold when i moved about 6 years ago=( I wish I had kept it, I do have the SNES and N64 though so thats not to bad.
 Darth_Venage
10-02-2001, 10:43 PM
I like LEC's games(most of them anyway) and I think GBG will be great. For soem reason, a few peopel may have misunderstood my posts in the 'this is a joke, right' thread. I like the demo, I was just pointing out things that need to be doen before the game gets TOTALLY cool. It's cool, but a little more work would make it all worthwhile.
 mer-ke_fostl
10-02-2001, 10:54 PM
I thought the demo was good. I have the crappiest pc in all the world, and I'm just excited that it even worked on mine.
As for the game, it's worth it for me just for the scenario editor. But the campaigns make it even better(assuming the whole game works on my 200Mhz...)
Page: 1 of 1