Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

The whole lypsink thing

Page: 1 of 1
 Doc Valentine
08-08-2004, 2:03 PM
Ok I know tk102 made a really good tutorial and all but it is SOOOOOO complicated, there HAS to be an easyer way of doing this. I am unable to do lipsynk without an easier way. If anyone could help that wuld be great!
 Darth333
08-08-2004, 2:40 PM
I'm a little busy today and don't really have time to re-explain everything but the lipsync tutorial was a summary of the following discussions. Maybe you'll find it easier to understand:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=126683) and at the middle of this page (this is where it started all) http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125586&perpage=40&pagenumber=2)

If you still have questions, I'll be back online later on

Hope this helps :)
 Achilles
08-08-2004, 2:41 PM
Originally posted by Gsccc
Ok I know tk102 made a really good tutorial and all but it is SOOOOOO complicated, there HAS to be an easyer way of doing this. I am unable to do lipsynk without an easier way. If anyone could help that wuld be great!

*wonders why people always assume there's an easier way*

I'm willing to bet that tk102 didn't make it difficult on purpose. Maybe you could blaze a trail for those who follow by making a new tutorial. Thoughts?
 Darth333
08-08-2004, 2:45 PM
You really have to be careful about naming your sound files and .lip files and the folders you place them in.
 Doc Valentine
08-08-2004, 2:57 PM
I'm willing to bet that tk102 didn't make it difficult on purpose. Maybe you could blaze a trail for those who follow by making a new tutorial. Thoughts?
I am well aware of this Achillies, im not saying that nor at any time did i hint that, im just wondering if we arnt looking at all the options thats all.
 Achilles
08-08-2004, 3:27 PM
Originally posted by Gsccc
im just wondering if we arnt looking at all the options thats all.

As am I. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Thanks.
 Darth333
08-08-2004, 4:10 PM
It's not difficult at all (just a little tricky). I'll try to word it differently.

to extract a lip file, go to the lips folder in your Kotor directory, select a .mod file (the lip files are packed inside this). Copy it and paste it in your modules directory.

Launch Kotor tool, go to ERFs -->modules-->your .mod file should be there. OPen it: you should see many .lip files: these are the files that control the lipsync. Now, select one of the approximate lenght of your sentence - look at the size of the file to give you an idea - and extract it. Extract as many lip files as you need. (unfortunately, we can't create new files at this time so lipsync will always be off a little). I've search a bit for this, tried a few apps to create lip files but didn't found the right one for Kotor, if any.

You have to use the same folder structure as kotor uses for sounds: ( you can try to shorten this path if you wish - alien voices don't follow this path so i guess it would work, as long as the sound is placed in the streamwaves folder and as long as the lip file has the same name as the sound and the name of the sound reflects the path - if you do so, pls indicate if it works, i can't test it right now)

Streamwaves --> then a folder corresponding to the name of the module (ex. m10ab)-->then another subfolder corresponding to the voice id of the npc (ex. vulk07 - look at the VO_ID field in the dlg file to get it )-->then a 3-digit number corresponding to the sound (aleatory number), let's say 001 in this case.
Following this example, our sound name would be:

NM10ABVULK07001_
it is made of :
N (all the sounds start with N)
M10AB (name of subfolder)
VULK07 (name of sub sub folder - or wathever you call that)
001 (sound file no)

(you can check it in KOtor, I used an existing sound)

Then, rename the lip files the same name as the sound it corresponds to (if you look at the file containing the lip files tar_m10ab_loc.mod with Kotor tool - after putting the file in your modules folder - you will find a .lip file with the same name: NM10abvulk07001.lip ) this is the file that controls the lipsync.

So once you have the path for the sound determined, rename the .lip file with the same name as the sound it corresponds to.
Do this with all the lip files.

Then, launch the ERF builder and save as a .mod file. Make sure the name is the same as your modules name and add _loc at the end, just before the extension. Example: tar_m10ab_loc.mod.

Drop the file in the lips folder and if you followed all the steps, it should work.
 Doc Valentine
08-08-2004, 7:41 PM
Ok, I did everything right, I followed the precedure. The .lip files are in here m40ad_loc.mod and i placed it in the lips file and it doesnt work.
 Darth333
08-08-2004, 9:26 PM
what about lev_m40ad_loc.mod ? It"s the name of the module, unless you changed it.
 Doc Valentine
08-08-2004, 9:31 PM
The name of the actual .mod file is Leviathon, and if i do lev_m40ad_loc.mod i would have to overwrite the original, arnt we against that whole thing?
 Darth333
08-08-2004, 10:32 PM
change the name of your module to a new module, let's say to lev_m40ae.mod, instead of leviathan.mod and name the lipsync module lev_m40ae_loc.mod. then rename all you sounds and make the folders as i explained above.

Another solution, that would be worth to try and i don't see why it wouldn't work, would be to name your lipsync module leviathan_loc.mod and see what happens. If you can't make it, send me the file, i'll look at them tomorrow but i don't have much time.
 Doc Valentine
08-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Im sorry to have wasted your time Darth333 but this is just too much of a hastle, if i am to make the December Deadline, i will have to forget about the mouths moving to the voices, its just not that important and my mod has too much dialogue to do it to every single one. I dont find it THAT important. Sorry once again.
Page: 1 of 1