Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Architecture Tips -- Help

Page: 1 of 1
 StormTrooper789
08-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Can somebody tell me a website that has good tutorials on architecture in GTKRadiant? I'm trying to make this map and I don't want it to stink. :) So please give me some links, if u can, ppl.
 Codja X
08-07-2004, 1:00 PM
Do a forum search for Richdiesal - there are plenty of beginners tutorials on his website
 Jedi_Vogel
08-07-2004, 3:31 PM
No offence, but those tuts weren't really on architecture, although it helped with columns, arches etc.

I'd follow advice Codja himself gave me... figure out a more real life setting and find photos, trying to copy them in Radiant.

If you're trying a classic SW setting, rewatch the films, to replay the levels, take notes, draw sketches, take screenies.

Jus a few ideas :)
 Codja X
08-07-2004, 3:45 PM
The learner becomes the teacher:)

If you know how to manipulate brushes, patches and models already, then follow Vogel's ( blatantly 2nd hand:) ) advice :D

If you don't know how to manipulate brushes, patches and the like then have a look on richdiesal's site - it's where most of us started.

(except me - try doing a search for Worldcraft - the best editor of it's time for Quake and Worldcraft. Changing from Worldcraft to Radiant took me MONTHS even though I already knew all the principles of editing)
 shukrallah
08-07-2004, 3:46 PM
Wedge has something written at www.map-review.com) about making levels look nice ;)

But yeah, like Codja said, ill take like 20-30 screenshots of levels in JA and JK2 for a reference in making maps. :) Ill even pause my star wars videos at certain scenes just to attempt to get my map to look right. Remember, never leave walls flat, make curves, or right angles... stuff like that. Add support beams. For the ceiling add lights sticking out (or going inward) for the floor, you could make very small cuts and texture it differently. If its terrian, try and blend the textures.
 Codja X
08-07-2004, 3:54 PM
One of the biggest sources of inspiration I found was Ralph McQuarrie's concept art.

If you own the old Star Wars Multimedia CD-ROM "Behind the Magic" then you'll find concept art for the entire original trilogy, schematics for all the ships, location plans, set designs, stills for every scene in each of the films.

It's in crappy old SVGA and you'll need to setup Win95/Win98 compatabilty mode, but it's worth getting if you can find it. It also has old deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs in Tosche Station where it explains a lot of his desire to join the imperial academy. Off topic, but cool.

Other than that, if your doing "classic" era Star Wars, just do a search for Ralph McQuarrie on google.
 Jedi_Vogel
08-07-2004, 4:29 PM
Still a learner I am...much to learn I still have :)
 lauser
08-07-2004, 6:28 PM
Originally posted by Codja X
One of the biggest sources of inspiration I found was Ralph McQuarrie's concept art.

If you own the old Star Wars Multimedia CD-ROM "Behind the Magic" then you'll find concept art for the entire original trilogy, schematics for all the ships, location plans, set designs, stills for every scene in each of the films.

It's in crappy old SVGA and you'll need to setup Win95/Win98 compatabilty mode, but it's worth getting if you can find it. It also has old deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs in Tosche Station where it explains a lot of his desire to join the imperial academy. Off topic, but cool.

Other than that, if your doing "classic" era Star Wars, just do a search for Ralph McQuarrie on google.

Where on EARTH do I get a hold of that lil' GOODY??

*searches GOOGLE*
 shukrallah
08-07-2004, 9:14 PM
Lucasarts.com sells it. It sounds cool... but, I just never picked up. Maybe one. You could also try Ebay.
 Codja X
08-08-2004, 4:45 AM
Page: 1 of 1