Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grim Fandango: The Dark Side of LucasArts???

Page: 1 of 1
 Lecter 66
08-02-2004, 5:36 PM
LEC have been known to make cheerful and humourous games (Sam & Max, Monkey Island, etc) I mean the ADVENTURE games, not the Star Wars franchise.

However Grim Fandango is not cheerful really, in fact it could be quite frightening to an untrained eye: The sadistic baddies, undead corpses and who can forget the disgusting sprouting (shudder)

Also GF have also killed off several characters for the first time, Monkey Island has never had a character destroyed in the arms of the hero. Manny saw Lola being sprouted having a morbid and emotional effect on the game- no one is safe, even when your dead.

Though Manny is dead (and is not harmed) he comes to some very near after-death experiances, such as the final scene with Hector. Guybrush has also passed-by his own death-like experiances with a funny and sometimes riduculous ways.

Was LucasArts playing deathly with this game, being set in an after world with dark corners and smoking?

(at least the jokes were good, though sometimes adult):lsduel:
 JofaGuht
08-02-2004, 5:49 PM
I never really thought about that. I think that was just the Noir style of it all. I thought that some of the sexual innuendo in the dialogue is what really surprised me.
Page: 1 of 1