Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Teleporter that you can see thorugh

Page: 1 of 1
 mknote
07-31-2004, 2:49 AM
All right, I am probably a few Q engines ahead of the time, but I'll fire away anyway. I want to project an image of an area onto another area. Technecally, I want two rooms to seem like they are connected through a door (i.e. if an enemy is on the other side, you can see them, and you can view exactly what is on the other side) when they are really seperated by large distances. So, like stepping thorugh a door, you are teleported to the area you saw, and if you look back, you can see where you came from the same way. For fellow Trekkies, think the Iconian Gateway:

http://deepspace93.com/images/tng137a.jpg)

MK

*edit* Copy/paste the shortcut.
 EvilJedi
07-31-2004, 5:40 AM
try copying the 2 rooms exactly how you want it to look, then it teleports you to the other side when you walk half way through the room, if you get what I mean.

|Room 1|...| Room 2| (you can never reach this room 2)
_______ |
_______ |
_______ |
_______ V
|Room1|---|Room2| (you cant reach room 1)

--- = target.
... = teleportal
 mslaf
07-31-2004, 6:31 AM
Originally posted by mknote
I want two rooms to seem like they are connected through a door (i.e. if an enemy is on the other side, you can see them, and you can view exactly what is on the other side)

You must combine trigger_teleporter with camera portal.

Originally posted by mknote
when they are really seperated by large distances.

You’re probably overestimating modern game engines. I won't work. If you want them to be visible from large distances don't create portal/teleporter but put a fancy shader between them.
 Andur_Sunrider
07-31-2004, 10:07 AM
Hmmm I dunno if this is what you wanted or not, but I guess you could always give it a try.

http://planetquake.com/bubba/camera1.html)
 mknote
07-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey mslaf, any ideas for this "fancy" shader?

MK
 mslaf
07-31-2004, 3:47 PM
- something blue transparent or
- something blue, animated and transparent or
- something blue animated, stretched and transparent.

You may try these with the Raven’s water shader or with other textures available on the web.

There is a texture pack for “Hexen II” somewhere on the web. Try to find it. AFAIR this package contains very nice red portal textures. These textures were recreated not imported from an original game:)
 mslaf
08-01-2004, 5:50 AM
Hexen Retexturing Project:

http://www.quake.cz/winclan/hexen/)
 mknote
08-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Okay, I have been toying with this, without success. How do I combine trigger_teleporter with camera portal? This is what I want to do:

Room

----portal----

Outside

Map edge

Void

Map edge

Outside

-----portal-----

Room

You can see from one side the room beyond the other portal. Since you can get in between them, the connecting them with shaders won't work. The two portals would be on completely different worlds, but it is like they are connected by a simple door with a slightly blue tint. (Note: It would be more complex, a structure that has several of these portals) This would be used to make a hyper-sized FFA/CTF map spanning this huge difference. But maybe I'm thinking up to Quake 6 or so...

MK
 mknote
08-21-2004, 9:33 PM
Okay, never mind. I finally got a portal camera working, and it is EXACTLY what I wanted. Thanks!

MK

*edit*

Correction... there is ONE thing else I would like. Is it possible to teleport weapon fire? So it would be just like firing through a door? Thanks.
 EvilJedi
08-22-2004, 12:43 AM
Everything is possible. This would probably require coding though..
 shukrallah
08-22-2004, 7:50 PM
Didn't they do this, or something simular in the first level of Quake 3. Remember, you start some room... somewhere, then you walk to the end of the room, you see a teleporter, but if look in it, you can see the teleporter's destination. You can even see the NPC walking around on the other side ;)
 EvilJedi
08-22-2004, 10:44 PM
That would be a camera on a teleportal though.
Page: 1 of 1