Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New map, new problems... terrain

Page: 1 of 1
 mknote
07-29-2004, 5:21 PM
Okay, I have tried EasyGen... I have tried gtkgensurf... but it WON'T WORK! It gives me thousands of brushes with triangles! They need to be one solid brush but still look realistic... plus, they are making the time to load my .map file almost six minutes. So, what am I doing wrong?

MK
 Lil Killa
07-29-2004, 8:59 PM
You can't have terrain with only one "brush" unless your terrain is flat or only one angle or it is shaped like a bullet. This is because you can only make convex shapes using brushes.

EDIT: you could use a patch mesh but that would be a pain.... if it has to be one piece I would suggest you make it into an ase model but once you do you'll have to reconvert it everytime you make a change to the terrain.
 mknote
07-29-2004, 9:51 PM
The problem arises from the fact that whenever I put two brushes together, I almost ALWAYS get sparklies. *sigh* Oh well, in a white snowfield, that won't show as badly.

MK
 RDX1
07-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Did you caulk the whole brush then Ctrl + shift the visable textures and applied it to the sides that can be seen?
 mknote
07-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Yes, I know the basics. Level design seems to elude me though...

MK
 mslaf
07-30-2004, 5:16 AM
Originally posted by Lil Killa
You can't have terrain with only one "brush" unless your terrain is flat or only one angle or it is shaped like a bullet.

If you want to have a single brush terrain you can:

1. Use EasyGen, Surfgen and export created terrain to an ASE model
2. Use Gmax or 3dmax. Create a terrain mesh, using a displacement mapping in example, and then export it to an ASE model.

The second solution is much better because you can "optimize" the terrain mesh, using mesh optimization functions. This will reduce number of polygons in some places.

You can clip the terrain model adding "spawnflag" "2" or alternatively you can use Milkshape 3d to convert ASE->MAP and use this exported map as a clip or terrain.

Regarding sparkles on EasyGen exported terrain. There’s an option is EG to show “flat” triangles – don’t remember exactly because I don’t use it. If you have these “flat” triangles then it’s very probably you will have sparkles and displaced brushes in the game.
 mknote
07-30-2004, 1:39 PM
All right, so my other problem is that my map (and by extension, my terrain) is HUGE, about 90,064 x 90,064 units. (It is going to be a frozen naboohills2 with ROTJ-era ships) Now I really don't have the time to make a 90,065 x 90,065 pixel bitmap and color it in. Any faster way to do it?

MK
 Jedi_Vogel
07-30-2004, 2:12 PM
can't you create a smaller one and tile or stretch it? *not sure*
 lauser
07-30-2004, 3:08 PM
Originally posted by mknote
All right, so my other problem is that my map (and by extension, my terrain) is HUGE, about 90,064 x 90,064 units. (It is going to be a frozen naboohills2 with ROTJ-era ships) Now I really don't have the time to make a 90,065 x 90,065 pixel bitmap and color it in. Any faster way to do it?

MK

That is a REALLY big map. Also, why would you make such a large bitmap? I think what you want is 49 x 49. This will be read by EasyGen and fitted appropriately.
Page: 1 of 1