Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Grim F in your language ?!

Page: 1 of 1
 Sallim
07-28-2004, 7:16 PM
Iam interrested in the synchronisation of Grim Fandango. How they sound in your country and are they that much dubbed versions of GF?

I got some waves here from the german version. Our Manny is Tommi Piper, the voice of our "ALF" too. Heґs not bad, but the english version is for my opinon much more suitable.

I was just once in London, and spend my whole 15 pounds for the english version of Grim ^_^
(lucky!! ^^ )

Here is the file, just one with more voices. ( easier then downloading 10 different files *rolleyes*)

The first is Toto, then Sal, Glottis and Manny the remain part. It is short, byut you get an impression.
grim_ger.mp3 (http://www.sal4.de/new/grim_ger.mp3)
 VampireNaomi
07-29-2004, 2:56 AM
I quite liked Toto's voice, but Glottis was just freaky. :eek:

Thanks for sharing the file, I have wanted to hear some German Grim since I heard it existed.

I don't know about any other dubs, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Spanish/Portuguese one.

In my country we have the English version because we never dub games -- unless they are meant for small children. That's good because Finns are known for being horrible dubbers.
 Sallim
07-29-2004, 5:56 AM
In my country we have the English version because we never dub games -- unless they are meant for small children. That's good because Finns are known for being horrible dubbers.

Hell, zhe germans dubbig almost all games, and that so bad, really! I never was so often disapointed. Grim fandango was ok, but there are so much games like Diablo 2 ( or Anime shows aswell ) which were horrible dubbed.

I don't know about any other dubs, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Spanish/Portuguese one.

Oh, it woould be nice to play the game trhough with spanish / portugese dub, but all text parts left in english.
 VampireNaomi
07-29-2004, 6:16 AM
Oh, it woould be nice to play the game trhough with spanish / portugese dub, but all text parts left in english.

I'll ask my Brazilian friend if she knows anything about a Portuguese dub. She should be back from London in a couple of days, I'll ask then. :)
 Sallim
07-29-2004, 6:20 AM
Wow
Thanks, that to know would be nice!
 Kloreep
07-29-2004, 6:24 PM
A spanish dub would be great.
 VampireNaomi
08-02-2004, 10:13 AM
My friend said that they never dub games in Brazil. They must have the English version then too. But maybe it was dubbed in Portugal?
 Sallim
08-07-2004, 8:47 AM
I found a spanish version of it in a p2p share network. I know it isnt the right way, but Ive got two versions of the game.

Maybe thats our answer ;)

Maybe I find a spanish evrsion of Grim here in ebay...maybe.
 Sallim
08-12-2004, 10:33 AM
So I got the spanish version of Grim, but Iam a bit unhappy with it. I captured some parts of the game, and here is it

gfl2_divX511.avi (http://www.sal4.de/new/gfl2_divX511.avi)

Dont Download it now!. It will take over 1 1/2 hours to get the 13 megabytes up ;)

You will need to watch the short outtake "Divx 5.1.1+"
and thats here Divx.com (http://www.divx.com/divx/download/)
Dont give you mail addy away. I dont think the need that.

Its now 4:25 pm so it will wbe up at 6 pm ;)
 VampireNaomi
08-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Wow! The file is fantastic! Thank you for posting it! :)

I loved Salvador's voice and it was great to hear him speak Spanish. Manny's voice was a bit weird and Domino didn't sound as sleazy as in the English dub.

I didn't relly like Eva's voice though, it didn't have the feel of wit in it.

Lola was great too.
 Sallim
08-12-2004, 12:54 PM
No problem.
I hoped they were much cooler ;)
Cant take the fact away that english is the best for me.
 fook_yu
08-15-2004, 7:25 PM
From what I've heard, I almost ask myself if the french version is better than the original one! Really, Grim Fandango has the best "voice translation" ( :P ) in a video game. It's amazaing. Manny as this little Spannish accent, Limones is extra and Glottis so funny!

I'll try to make a file of the French voices.
 Sallim
08-16-2004, 4:31 AM
Ok I give it a try ;)
 Bushmeister
08-16-2004, 7:22 AM
Well the German dub was ok and the Spanish one was pretty good (except for Domino and Eva who I didn't like the sounds of), but I'd still say the game works best as intended, in English.
 chrisbailey
08-16-2004, 9:16 PM
Are there any Americanisms which are replaced in the translated versions?

By this, I mean references to American culture which foreigners wouldn't understand.

For example, the film Scary Movie 3 has some things changed.

"It's on my list of things, right after we get TiVo" is changed to "It's on my list of things, right after we get a DVD player" in the German translation.

Similarly, "It's sweeps month, Cindy" is changed to "It's all about the ratings..." in the German dub.

Are there any such examples in Grim Fandango, or any jokes that are lost in translation?
Page: 1 of 1