Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Custom Voice Acting

Page: 1 of 1
 Glamador
07-27-2004, 7:06 PM
I dloaded things like Reign of the Sith and Sith Armada and i got really annoyed when i realized there was NO voice acting...i was thinking that i could make the characters talk...i understand that with a mod as big as Sith Armada with custom recruits and difficult complex long phrases that it would be time consuming to do this but i am very adament about having VOICES ingame so if any1 who is experienced and wants to help me i would appreciate it! im an absolute n00b and i am just now reading the dialogue tutorial. I am not just talking about piecing together bits and pieces of speech already in the game, im talking about personally recording speech for each character so that we can have the best experience possible.

----EDIT----

i now understand how to assign a sound file to each speach and am currently doing so, i do not know, however, how to actually record the voices in the correct format...crap...i also need to know how to do the lip-syncing among other details
 theredrodian
07-27-2004, 7:46 PM
i've been thinking about that too, though it could be difficult to get voices without any background noise (eg. computer fans) and getting the recordings to be of a high enough quality using a regular PC microphone could be hard aswell...
 Glamador
07-27-2004, 7:50 PM
yea i know...but i have a pretty good mic and once again, thats y i wanted help with the voice acting...im more worried about lip-syncing and the timing issues (like how long the speaking lasts b4 it prompts u for an answer)...like i said im a n00b and could use an expert coders help/advice/etc...i also need to know the exact settings that will work ingame (like the specific sound properties, amps, etc...) ive never recorded sounds b4
 stingerhs
07-28-2004, 11:57 AM
actually, its not as hard as ya think. as far as recording voices, just get the voice actor(actress) isolated in a room either in a basement(preferably with lots a furniture and carpeting) or in a small room in the center of your house(like a coat closet). you can use almost any digital recording device that can upload to your pc. if that doesn't work to well, just get a headphones extension wire that can hook up your mic and just set up the computer slightly outside the room your using. as for setting up the sound into the proper format, i think that the miles sound tools can do that for you. then its just a matter of setting up the dialog and doing the lip sinks. if i remember correctly, someone posted a tutorial on how to make proper lip sinks, so just look around or ask around, one or the other. of course, all you have to do now is ask your friends to do some voice acting for ya, of course, i'm assuming you have friends to begin with....
just kidding. ;P
 Glamador
07-28-2004, 2:14 PM
thank u very very much, i currently just replaced the voices with selkath and twi'lek voices and ur rite, i have no friends, that's y i asked here!

---EDIT---

ok...cant find that miles sound tool u spoke of...help
 Doc Valentine
07-28-2004, 2:37 PM
I appologize glamador for your being "pissed" at my mod for not having voice acting, well all the other ones dont have it, I dont have a mic like you do. So there will be no voice acting unless you can find about 300 people who will be willing.
 TemporaryTomato
07-28-2004, 2:51 PM
Never mind about him Gsccc, your mod is still good;)

Seriously, voice acting?
I'm all for it if you can find voice actors... that don't charge any money, LOL!:D
 Glamador
07-28-2004, 2:57 PM
aw man...ive really made an ass of myself as a first impression on this site havnt i...idk y i was feeling so miserable yesterday but i wholeheartedly apologize! its my Bday 2day so i have no reason to be harsh or angry at all!
i already apologized in the other thread for being too harsh on ur mod, and as u can see, im attempting to fix my own problems for my own tastes...no sound just kind of annoys me thats all, as i said b4, id love to do some voice acting for ur mod
 Doc Valentine
07-28-2004, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by Glamador
i already apologized in the other thread for being too harsh on ur mod, and as u can see, im attempting to fix my own problems for my own tastes...no sound just kind of annoys me thats all, as i said b4, id love to do some voice acting for ur mod
Im glad to hear you are helping now. Ok who whould you like to do voice acting for?

However, for now, just use your IMAGINATION.
 Glamador
07-28-2004, 3:11 PM
if only i had a soundproof booth in my bedroom...im having trouble with background noise atm...i think i could voice act for some of the commoners and possibly some sith soldiers as i have kind of a high voice for my age and i can do groveling very well, but i do enjoy being menacing far more (thus being good for a guard)
 TemporaryTomato
07-28-2004, 4:07 PM
If you can get the "speaking-through-an-intercom" kind of sound that the sith soldiers have, it'd be nice.:) Oh, and I'd help recording stuff if my mic wasnt broken, heh.:p

My imagination goes a long way though...

Weeee! Pink elephants!
:elephant: :elephant: :elephant:
 Du-Sith
07-28-2004, 4:10 PM
Hey. I am definitly interested in helping you if you wish. I am a trained voice actor and would love to participate. I have a wide range of voices and acting capabilities... toss me an email if you ever need someone to go in on this endeavor with you. I have high quality mics that pic up no background sound. Get back to me.

-Chris
 Glamador
07-28-2004, 10:22 PM
wow cool! like i said, my mic sucks and picks up so much background noise...i can do the coding if u can do the voices! the coding actually isnt very difficult...but i think some of the dialogue is kind of robotic in sith armada...i mean really...ppl DO use contractions in real speech...cheesy upsets me...
 Jackel
07-29-2004, 2:53 AM
Just remember you HAVE to get permission from any mod maker if you plan on doing anything to their mod , including adding voices.

Im pretty sure the authors might not mind but not getting permission will get you in a load of trouble here, its happened before.

Just pointing this out to you so everything is done right first time.
 Doc Valentine
07-29-2004, 3:57 AM
HOLD THE PHONE!!!
No one said ANYTHING about editing my mod. The only editors of my mod are on this side of the computer. If you want to help me in voice acting I am all for it but I will NOT have people editing my mod. Im sorry if that sounds harsh but it demeans me from being the actual auther. I wont allow it.
 Jackel
07-29-2004, 5:38 AM
:p Hee

Guess then Glamador your plans for at least one of oyur ideas is gone, better now go asking the maker of the other mod right away about doing anything to it before they find out by reading your thread rather then a PM from you.
 Glamador
07-29-2004, 12:45 PM
i never intended to do anything to ur mod man...i just used it as an example of a mod that doesnt have voices yet! i know from other games ive modded that credits and permissions are important! i would never release anything w/o an authors permissions!
 stingerhs
07-31-2004, 12:40 AM
you know, an easy way to eliminate backround noise would be to wrap the mic with some sort of foam material. kind of like those colored foam things you see on mics. just so ya know, they put those on BECAUSE the mics are cheap and pick up too much backround, or even pick up other mics (thus the LOUD ringing noise you occasionally hear). so, just try it, it might help a bit.
Page: 1 of 1