Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Something new every time

Page: 1 of 2
 VampireNaomi
07-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Every time I play GF I find something new in it. Just a moment ago I tried to use my scythe on the spider web without putting a bone in it. I hadn't done it before and it was amusing to see something new. And creepy...

So, when was the last time you noticed something that escaped your eyes before? And what was it?
 Thrik
07-25-2004, 8:25 PM
Hmm, nothing comes to mind from my latest playthrough, but then it was a while ago. I guess I'll find out when I get to my yearly play in a month or so. ;-)

(the perfect duration between plays in my opinion)
 James Isaac
07-26-2004, 6:53 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Everytime i replay it, I try doing more stuff, and I find out new information, which always fits in with the story, and causes it to make even more sense, and makes me love the game even more :).

(But I can't think of any off the top of my head right now)
 Kloreep
07-27-2004, 1:19 AM
During the second play-through I'm doing now, I only now tried talking to the guys you get the book for Terry from. Some good dialouge; I solved the puzzle too fast last time to think of talking to them before handing them Salvador's communiques.

I can't think of anything else I didn't notice first time through; though I'm not done with the second time yet.
 Akril
07-29-2004, 1:18 AM
I'm the sort of person who likes to explore the source code of recently completed games and see what little secrets can be discovered therein...

One of my more memorable discoveries was finding out that in Year 1, if you take Glottis for a spin on the tree pump more than seven times, Manny runs out of excuses for flipping the switch, and Glottis starts looking at the experience in a different way...

Akril
 Kloreep
07-29-2004, 6:23 PM
I'll have to check that out. :)

Remember any other things you found?
 Thrik
07-29-2004, 8:47 PM
Well, there's something new for me Akril. That's on my to-do list. D:
 Kloreep
07-30-2004, 1:39 AM
Oh, here's one that some people might not have seen first time through: In the third year, before giving the tiny hammer to anyone, take it out in Domino's presence. (Take out the scythe first if you've never tried that either.)
 VampireNaomi
07-30-2004, 3:19 AM
Originally posted by Kloreep
Oh, here's one that some people might not have seen first time through: In the third year, before giving the tiny hammer to anyone, take it out in Domino's presence. (Take out the scythe first if you've never tried that either.)

I LOVE that part! I even created a save slot just before it because Manny would do it only once. That way I could keep doing it over and over again.

Have you tried to give Meche's stockings to Domino?
 Kloreep
07-30-2004, 5:18 PM
I'll have to try that stocking one. :lol:

Here's another one I just found: once you get back to the LSA in year 4, go get the grinder and then grind some bone right over the two Johnny Thunder guys (you have to do this before driving them off with the coffee, of course).
 VampireNaomi
07-31-2004, 3:23 AM
Hey, I haven't tried that bone grinder thing! Ah, so many new things to try.
 Sanspoof
07-31-2004, 8:15 AM
Woah, dude, I never knew you could do most of the things mentioned here!

Man, stuff like this keeps me playing and replaying...
 JofaGuht
08-02-2004, 1:43 AM
Because of SCUMMrev and some other things, I realize there is a conversation you can have with Domino in the Year 3 but, in all three times I've played this game all the way through, I've never had it. Please, somebody tell me how to have this convo!
 VampireNaomi
08-02-2004, 6:20 AM
I have never had the conversation either, but you can dowload it here:

http://home.alltel.net/cf14312/dialog.zip)

It comes with several other GF lines I have never heard in the game. Maybe they were all deleted from the final version?
 JofaGuht
08-02-2004, 7:47 AM
I've heard the conversation, but if it got deleted, then how come it's still on the program (which you can find with that handy dandy scumm tool I love so much)
 VampireNaomi
08-02-2004, 8:09 AM
I have absolutely no idea. :confused:
 Expert Player
08-02-2004, 11:30 AM
Well if it really qualifies, the first time around, I didnt know what to do with the tree thing and I completed it by accident. This time I found what do!
 VampireNaomi
08-02-2004, 12:26 PM
I didn't even know what I was supposed to do with the tree puzzle. My brother distracted me so I didn't hear the dialogue about it, and I didn't know I could have checked what they said through the script thing.

I had to use a walkthrough to get an idea of what it was all about.
 Akril
08-04-2004, 5:48 AM
Ahhh, the inability to talk to Dom in Year 3 and thus make the plot just a bit less nebulous...so unfair.

It comes with several other GF lines I have never heard in the game. Maybe they were all deleted from the final version?

I think some of them might have been, however some of them are in the game, just a little harder to find (for instance, Eva's "Ooh, what is that, custard?" line and the brief dialogue exachange that follows it can be triggered if you show her the mouthpiece of auto-body filler before biting into it).

Some lines weren't even voiced. They're in the text file, but nowhere else. One such line is when you use the coral hunk on the pigeons. Of course, this is impossible, since you have to use the coral to get to the pigeons in a way that makes it completely unobtainable. The dialogue is still pretty funny, though:

"Stare into this glowing rock and feel your eyelids getting heavy...heavier...What are ya? Too dumb to be hypnotized?"

A few (voiced) lines that I haven't been able to find in the game are from Year 4, when Manny is taunting the alligator after finding the florist's hideout ("Worked that kink out of your tail yet?"). Another line that I haven't found a way to trigger, even though it's in the code,is Manny saying, "I don't see how Sal, with all his crazy conspiracy theories...forgot to mention to me that there were alligators in the sewers!"

I should do a bit more sniffing around in the actual game to see if I can find where some of these lines exist...

Akril
 tembleofbu
08-04-2004, 8:06 AM
Originally posted by VampireNaomi
Every time I play GF I find something new in it. Just a moment ago I tried to use my scythe on the spider web without putting a bone in it. I hadn't done it before and it was amusing to see something new. And creepy...

What happens? I can't check it because I've lost my disc A, DAMN!
 VampireNaomi
08-04-2004, 9:06 AM
Manny makes a hole in the web and a HUGE spider comes and fixes it.
 Sanspoof
08-05-2004, 8:59 AM
Cool
 Gray Hound
08-12-2004, 1:54 PM
arwoof! one time,when i was playing GF and first came to Rubacava and i fell in the water,Velasco put manny on the stairs instead of the ground.has anyone ever encountered this:confused:

snugs to every furrie out there!
 Shuz
08-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Only on my thrid play thorugh did i realise that you could walk to this location. It blew my mind when it happened.

http://img35.exs.cx/img35/5514/7555.jpg)
 VampireNaomi
08-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Heh, when I was playing the game for the first time I thought I was supposed to go there, and spent 15 minutes trying to make Manny walk there. :D
 Captain Gonzo
08-19-2004, 6:20 PM
Until the last time I played through Grim again (a few weeks ago) I missed the complete chanting with the sea bees in Rubacava.

Every time I play it seem to find some neat line I'd missed before, or at least a line or puzzle I'd forgotten about. It's such a great game to come back to.
 chrisbailey
08-23-2004, 5:32 PM
Some lines weren't even voiced. They're in the text file, but nowhere else. One such line is when you use the coral hunk on the pigeons. Of course, this is impossible, since you have to use the coral to get to the pigeons in a way that makes it completely unobtainable.

I have not tried this myself, but there are some pigeons near the bread stall at the festival and I know for a fact that you can interact with them. Perhaps this coral line works here?
 VampireNaomi
03-19-2008, 7:01 AM
I'm really sorry to bump a thread from almost four years back, but I don't think my little discovery is important enough to get a thread of its own.

This probably doesn't mean anything to anyone but me, but I just realised that the actor who voices my favourite character in Kim Possible (a series I'm pretty obsessed with at the moment) also does some minor roles in GF. I will never be able to look at Raoul the same way again. :D
 urluckyday
03-19-2008, 3:20 PM
hm...interesting nonetheless...
 SalvadorsSkull
03-19-2008, 7:18 PM
I couldn't get myself to play it more than once. I guess I felt like I had already experienced the story, and every time I started over back in El Marrow it didn't feel quite like my first time playing.
 Frenkieee
03-19-2008, 8:00 PM
Please, do play it for (at least) a second time. You'll discover tons of new lines of speech, and even some undiscovered rooms. I stumbled upon Maximino's room the fourth time I played it!
 Grim_comician
03-21-2008, 5:26 PM
I've tried out the metal detector on Toto. He has his own lines about it. :p
 lipton
03-21-2008, 7:35 PM
hehe 8th or so playthrough i tried "picking up" Velasco, and the moon
 urluckyday
03-21-2008, 11:35 PM
How do you get to Maximino's room???
 Du Man
03-22-2008, 1:29 PM
you still don't know? In the High Roller's lounge, with the screen where you see Nick in the foreground, go left in the background towards a large arched entrance. There we'll talk.
 Shuz
03-22-2008, 4:50 PM
Looking at my old post from 4 years back sure felt strange. How much has changed in those four years yet Grim will always be the same classic game...
 Colossal
03-25-2008, 4:00 PM
Heh, when I was playing the game for the first time I thought I was supposed to go there, and spent 15 minutes trying to make Manny walk there. :D

me too

when Toto speaks on the phone and if you leave Manny still. Toto speaks hilarious lines :lol:
 urluckyday
03-25-2008, 6:31 PM
@Du Man: Oh yeah...I thought you meant like another room. I always thought you had to go in that room...you had me excited for a second...
 VampireNaomi
03-27-2008, 1:50 AM
Are we still talking about Maximino's room? Because he does have a room you can go into. Like this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WMyaIKshQ) I missed it when I first played the game, too.
 Shuz
03-29-2008, 3:09 PM
I found the room first time round and thought it was necessary to progress the game but now I kind of wish I hadn't just so I have something new to see the next time round :)
 urluckyday
03-29-2008, 5:31 PM
@Naomi: Yeah, I got there my first time...I thought there was a secret room somewhere else besides that...I thought it was necessary like Shuz
 stewlil
04-18-2008, 5:02 PM
I had the conversation with Domino once, just once. The first time i played through. I was like 9 or 10 at the time, i seriously cannot remember how the hell i managed to do it! But i faintly remembered the conversation and spent ages trying to get him to take those sodding headphones off and talk to me, but he wouldnt. Then i convinced myself it didnt exist, but that audio file and the internet proved me correct after all!
 lipton
04-21-2008, 1:13 PM
I had the conversation with Domino once, just once. The first time i played through. I was like 9 or 10 at the time, i seriously cannot remember how the hell i managed to do it! But i faintly remembered the conversation and spent ages trying to get him to take those sodding headphones off and talk to me, but he wouldnt. Then i convinced myself it didnt exist, but that audio file and the internet proved me correct after all!

say what ?!?!
 VampireNaomi
04-21-2008, 2:25 PM
say what ?!?!

There is a conversation between Manny and Domino that some people have managed to access, but most have never been able to listen to it, no matter what they do. I don't know all the details, but apparently it was locked because it revealed too much of the plot too soon.

You can download the sound files here. (http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=missing)
 Colossal
04-23-2008, 12:50 PM
is it possible to rip all the conversation in audio format from the game?
 VampireNaomi
04-23-2008, 2:52 PM
I think so. I used SCUMM Revisited when I ripped the audio files I have on my website. It's been years since I did that and my memory is a little shaky, but I think that in addition to that you need the GF voice annotations from here. (http://www.grim-fandango.com/hacking.php)
 lipton
04-24-2008, 5:22 PM
I think so. I used SCUMM Revisited when I ripped the audio files I have on my website. It's been years since I did that and my memory is a little shaky, but I think that in addition to that you need the GF voice annotations from here. (http://www.grim-fandango.com/hacking.php)

thanks fer the downloadlink, and nice site you have btw :)

gotta try accessing that convo somtime
 Grim_comician
04-25-2008, 2:14 PM
I believe it's just a bug, because even I have managed to make a conversation with Domino in the third year a few times of all. I wonder what's the source behind this inaccessibility of the conversation anyway...
 Frenkieee
02-19-2010, 2:26 PM
Today, I was browsing GF's page on IMDB again (link (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177822/)), and I noticed Marcy from Californication (anyone seen that show, it's pretty darn awesome) did the voice of Carla and Pugsy. Didn't recognize it while watching Californication, but I can hear it now :)
 MeddlingMonk
02-19-2010, 8:10 PM
That's interesting. I had been under the impression she was only doing voice work now. Guess not.
Page: 1 of 2