Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

fx stuff

Page: 1 of 1
 Ockniel
07-19-2004, 9:08 AM
hey, can anyone tell me a good fx file for:

A) a normal flame, not really large, but not really small, about medium I guess ;)

B) a good flamethrower type fx, but I need the flamethrower to be albe to go UP.

thanks guys
~Ockniel

EDIT: I need these for a fx_runner
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-19-2004, 9:46 AM
1) fire or small_fire I think...there is no other ^^
 Ockniel
07-19-2004, 11:03 AM
oh, how do they do that flamethrower thing in JA sp then?
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-19-2004, 11:24 AM
fx_runner -> press "N" -> "KEY=fxfile" "VALUE=effects/env/small_fire.efx"
 mslaf
07-19-2004, 11:41 AM
You can modify its size according to your needs in EffectsEd. It’s quite simple. Search this forum because I have an impression that I have already explained how to do it.

You can also "steal" or re-use /if you prefer/ some fire effects from Call of Duty which utilizes the same file format. You can use the efx files (like shaders) but cannot use CoD’s textures, though.
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Hm...fxfiles from an other game....if I where you, I didn't do that, because of the rights, etc...but in the end, its' your destiantion ;)
 mslaf
07-19-2004, 12:15 PM
Have you every used any shaders not created for JA, like Q3's beams or fogs in example? I know that software companies are crazy about the copyrights and software patents....but what happen if IBM copyrights the screen "cursor"?
 Ockniel
07-19-2004, 12:21 PM
okay, so if I put alot of those flames on top of each other, I think it MIGHT get the effect im looking for...

anyways, I also will need to make a large beam, much like the one in the jk2 deathstar level, ya know, you press the button and the big laser beam comes and fries everyone in tht passage?
yeah, I need to make one of those, except standing up. lightning might work too, it would have to be about 2 players wide and about... er...... 15 or 20 players high... could you help me with that?

thanks
~Ockniel
 Ockniel
07-21-2004, 9:08 AM
hey, I put in some fires in my map and the console says that they are not finding their targets, you are just supposed to point them at info_nulls right?

pelase help, this is agitating
 Ice Dyn4stY™
07-21-2004, 12:50 PM
Probably your assets aren't correct, so the game can't find them...or you made something wrong...
fx_runner -> "KEY=fxfile" "VALUE=env/fire.efx"
Or look in your assets, there are the efects ;)
 mslaf
07-21-2004, 1:14 PM
Originally posted by Ockniel
hey, I put in some fires in my map and the console says that they are not finding their targets, you are just supposed to point them at info_nulls right?

pelase help, this is agitating

Try to point them at info_notnulls.
 Ockniel
07-25-2004, 8:57 AM
umm, okay
 wedge2211
07-25-2004, 10:45 AM
You can also give them angle or angles keys.

There is an effect that looks like a flamethrower, I think something like flamejet.efx. Also, Boba Fett's flamethrower has its own efx file.

In reagrds to copyrights...Raven will allow you to use any assets from another Raven game in JA, just so long as you credit them properly in the readme.
 mslaf
07-25-2004, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
flamethrower has its own efx file.

In reagrds to copyrights...Raven will allow you to use any assets from another Raven game in JA, just so long as you credit them properly in the readme.

I fully respect the copyrights but the respect in my opinion should be reasonable. I'm not talking (writing) about the legal issues. Let's say I was doing things for RTCW and now I'm doing them for JA. If I have learnt something in the past like shaders, effects, readmes, md3's etc, does it mean I cannot use them now because they were initially created for another game? There're assets like textures, music, voices, models etc... and it's absolutely clear to me that I can't move them between the games. But does it mean that I cannot re-create them, in example. Following this path of thinking I probably can't because they were invented by somebody else. Should I credit him if I will re-create something? This is my work after all. So, even if I use the efx file from CoD I will modify it so heavily it won't be the same file. What if won't modify it but rewrite it according to my experience and knowledge.

But it's true I shouln't write about "stealing" something. I should write: "learn how the CoD guys made it and re-create it for JA".
 wedge2211
07-25-2004, 6:10 PM
I asked Raven about this once...I wanted to use an Elite Force skybox in JA. They said it was fine so long as I noted the port in my readme. CoD isn't Raven, though, right...?
 mslaf
07-25-2004, 6:39 PM
efx file is not the skybox.
Page: 1 of 1