Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Help with switches and doors

Page: 1 of 1
 noobmapper
07-18-2004, 2:55 PM
Right well i have been doing this switch for a door for a long time and its getting annoying how i do what the tutorial say's and follow its instructions but i cannot get the door to work on the game.

I have got a switch next to a door and i have the door linked and stuff, i have the switch with the details: facing, checked. use_button, checked, wait = 2, angle (this is something i also don't get, it says (the tutorial) to have the button facing the door, and i cannot get the arrow to show!:()

Its just how to tutorial showed it yet it doesn't work, please help me!!

I am using gtk radiant for the game Jedi Academy btw.
 wedge2211
07-18-2004, 5:09 PM
The ANGLE key goes with the FACING checkbox. If you check FACING, then the player can only press the switch (by the way: I assume you are using a trigger_multiple) when they are facing in the direction given by ANGLE. So basically, give it an angle directly toward the wall the switch is mounted on.

One thing you didn't mention, that may be the crucial thing here, is that you need to actually link the switch to the door. Deselect everything, then select the switch trigger, select the door, and press CTRL+K. You'll see a line connect the two, with arrows pointing toward the door. That's what you need.
 Jedi_Vogel
07-18-2004, 5:25 PM
Yeah, when I read your post, I thought "is he using a trigger_multiple?", as wedge said.

That wasn't in your description....so I would check that first.. :)
 noobmapper
07-19-2004, 10:32 AM
yeah i have done the linking and the mulitple trigger, and its still doesn't work, it says on the tutorial to create an invisible block to go infront of the switch and link that. I tried that and that doesn't work. The facing thing is also checked.
 mslaf
07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
If you’re a new mapped don’t try to do everything at one. This is the best way to have nothing working correctly. First create a door without the switch, check if it works, then create the switch/trigger and check if it works and finally create the “facing” switch.....
JA engine offers a small help if you cannot find correct angle: a small hand with the dot is being displayed on the screen if there’s something you can press near by. Check your options and make sure it’s turned on. If it’s turned on but you cannot see it when facing you trigger/switch then something is wrong with the trigger. And put the “wait” key on the trigger not on the switch.

An invisible wall is the trigger. Did you make the trigger entity with this “wall”? If you cannot link something it means it’s not an entity. Maybe this is a source of your problem.

BTW: Where’s the tutorial?
 noobmapper
07-20-2004, 7:32 AM
the invisible wall is the trigger and i didn't know that you had to create a switch!

My tutorial is here:http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/br201lsn7.html)
 mslaf
07-20-2004, 2:56 PM
I have made an example map for you, maybe this one will help.

Description (txt): www.mslaf.com/tutorials/jadoors.txt)

Sample map (map): www.mslaf.com/tutorials/jadoors.map)

Sample map (zip): www.mslaf.com/tutorials/jadoors.zip)
 Jedi_Vogel
07-20-2004, 4:11 PM
mslaf never fails to amaze me at how kind he is :)
 acdcfanbill
07-20-2004, 7:51 PM
well about ever polock i ever met was nice, so i cant say it suprises me too much :D
 noobmapper
07-21-2004, 2:38 PM
thank you you are most kind mslaf.
Page: 1 of 1