Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Kotor Mod Manager

Page: 1 of 1
 cchargin
07-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Hello all,

What is this? Am I releasing a non-model related script? How did that happen?

Anyway, introducing Kotor Mod Manager (KMM)

features:
-keeps track of all your installed mods
-when a mod is activated it copies the files to override
-when a mod is de-activated it removes the files from override
-supports mods that put files in places other than override
-checks for conflicts between mods

pick it up at:
http://home.comcast.net/~cchargin/kotor/index.html)

I am releasing it here to Holowan first so you beta testers, I mean fellow modders can try it out.

Give it a try and let me know how if there are any problems!
 svцsh
07-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Very cool utility cchargin I’ll give it a shot :D

svцsh
 Darth333
07-11-2004, 11:38 PM
I'm sure this will help a lot of people around here. I'll give it a try too and give you some feedback :)
 RedHawke
07-12-2004, 1:02 AM
^^^^^
Same here Cchargin, Thanks! :D
 TemporaryTomato
07-12-2004, 1:12 AM
Nice! It kind of sounds like the Vice City mod manager, hehe.

Wonder where you got the name from?;)
(Maybe you thought it up yourself, if so, I'm stupid and you're smart :p )
 tk102
07-12-2004, 1:27 AM
Good utility cchargin. :)

How about extending it to those mods that include files that live in other directories -- such as modules, streamwaves etc.
 Jackel
07-12-2004, 2:14 AM
Sounds good CC , DLing it now. Will post my thoughts later.
 cchargin
07-12-2004, 2:15 AM
Hello all,

How about extending it to those mods that include files that live in other directories -- such as modules, streamwaves etc.

Top of this thread, feature #4.

tk102, you shouldn't post so late at night. ;) Wait, why am I posting so late at night?

Of course for mods that don't come with a .kmm file (which is none since KMM just came out) you will have to assign the non-override destination yourself. Read the readme, it covers all that.
 Jackel
07-12-2004, 2:30 AM
CC an idea : (you dont have to like this at all if you want)

the Freelancer mod manager uses this idea , you have your mods zip file

mymod.zip

but you DL it as mymod.zip.flmm , you then double click on it and the FLMM program opens it , puts it in to the mod folder and adds it to the list of mods oyu can activate

Also, whats a .kmm file ? if its like above and can be read like abovbe ignore my idea.
 T7nowhere
07-12-2004, 2:57 AM
Damn it man!! Where were you 5 months ago ;). It looks excellent. I will be making use of this sweet utility. hmm. Im glad all the mods I have are organized :)

This is also going to be a huge help to those that don't know how to mod KotOR or are new to KotOR mods.

Thanks Dude. :)
 Doom_Dealer
07-12-2004, 6:42 AM
I love you :)
 Supreme-Lord
07-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Thank You. I have over 10 different lightsaber mods and some of them are in conflict each other. This mod manager helps A LOT!
 cchargin
07-12-2004, 1:55 PM
Hello all,

but you DL it as mymod.zip.flmm , you then double click on it and the FLMM program opens it , puts it in to the mod folder and adds it to the list of mods oyu can activate

Hmm, interesting idea. I like it, but part of my philosophy on programs is "don't mess with the registry". To make that happen I would have to write to the registry, and that means making an installer\un-installer. I prefer the type of program where install is copying it to a folder and un-install is deleting the file. I have to admit that KMM does violate this a bit. It does look into the registry to find your kotor dir, but it does not write anything.

Also, whats a .kmm file ? if its like above and can be read like abovbe ignore my idea.
The .kmm file is a simple mod description file created by KMM. It tells KMM what files are part of the mod and where they go. When you add a mod to KMM it will look for a .kmm file, if it finds one it will read that. If it does not find one it creates one for the mod.

I did it this way because there are so many mods out there and I wanted people to be able to "hit the ground running" with this script, rather than wait for the mod authors to make .kmm files for their mods.

As the readme says everyone is free to create a .kmm file for distribution with their mod.

Damn it man!! Where were you 5 months ago
Uh, playing kotor of course! Can't code, playing kotor.
 cchargin
07-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Hello all,

Kotor Mod Manager 0.2 is now available.

New features:
-mod groups: activate a bunch of mods with 1 click
-deactivate all button: deactivates all mods with 1 click
-fully compatible with KMM 0.1 files

nab it at:
 RedHawke
07-22-2004, 3:10 AM
Just downloaded it, I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks Cchargin! :D
 Mav
07-22-2004, 4:26 AM
I just wish my mods were a little bit more organized...lol, but this is goign to help a lot!!

thanks,

cchargin
 messkell
07-22-2004, 6:18 AM
A good solid utility.

thanks, cchargin:)
 Darth Dex
07-22-2004, 8:41 AM
Sweet, I love it! 20th to DL!:cool: :cool:
 Mono_Giganto
07-22-2004, 8:50 AM
You're the best I love this thing!
 StormTrooper789
07-22-2004, 9:03 AM
Finally, cchargin, no more worries of forgetting what files in your override are for what mod! I'm going to try this out soon.
 Darth Gungis
07-22-2004, 9:59 AM
im Dling right now. Awesome util.:D
 darth makaan
07-23-2004, 12:13 AM
can this be used to use many mods that use the appearance.2da and such together?
 cchargin
07-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Hello all,

can this be used to use many mods that use the appearance.2da and such together?
I have been waiting for this question! I thought it would happen sooner!

No. KMM does not combine any files together. If you have 2 mods and each has appearance.2da then KMM will only allow you to activate 1 at a time.
 T7nowhere
07-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by cchargin
Hello all,

I have been waiting for this question! I thought it would happen sooner!

No. KMM does not combine any files together. If you have 2 mods and each has appearance.2da then KMM will only allow you to activate 1 at a time.

Maybe Im just reaching here, But would it be possible for KMM to create log detailing the differences between conflicting files.

I was also wondering if you could add more functionality for the .kmm files. ;) what I mean by this is the way you have it set up now to add mods you have to select 1 file from the folder and KMM treats all the files in that folder as one mod.

What I would like to be able to do is create a .kmm file for a mod (like a weapon) and specify just the files required to install that one weapon with out installing everything in the folder which may contain multiple weapons or items. So if the user selects lightsaber.kmm the only files that will be selected are those that weapon needs to work.

Maybe you have already added this feature and I just haven't seen it.

Well, I think you have made some great tools so keep plugging away :) thanks
 CDRSeadog
07-23-2004, 9:46 AM
Very nice...I, too, will have to try it out - I'll let you know if I encounter any problems.

On another note - I've once again done a small newsbit over at www.rpgdot.com) in which, among other things, I did a "plug" for your Mod Manager.
 cchargin
07-23-2004, 1:49 PM
Hello all,

Maybe Im just reaching here, But would it be possible for KMM to create log detailing the differences between conflicting files.
hmmm. I will have to take a look at the scripts made by tk102. Fortunately he uses Perl also. This just might be possible.

What I would like to be able to do is create a .kmm file for a mod (like a weapon) and specify just the files required to install that one weapon with out installing everything in the folder which may contain multiple weapons or items
Yes, this is something I am looking at. Right now you can only do this if you put the files in a separate directory and treat it as a separate mod.

I've once again done a small newsbit over at www.rpgdot.com) in which, among other things, I did a "plug" for your Mod Manager.
Thank you!
 T7nowhere
07-23-2004, 6:13 PM

Yes, this is something I am looking at. Right now you can only do this if you put the files in a separate directory and treat it as a separate mod.

Hmm. That does work If you create the kmm for each mod separately first, then put all the mods in one folder. Cool :)
 RedHawke
08-25-2004, 6:24 AM
Cchargin, just a little problem with KMM v0-2.

It's nothing really big, but was really apparent with my last 2 mods in generating a KMM file for them, any files with the .lip extension were wrongly listed as "Support Files" and not as "Mod Files" destined for the override.

The .lip files make the NPC's mouths move to their speech.

You need to make the next version of KMM add any files with the .lip extension, if found, into the override as well.

cchargin
08-25-2004, 6:38 PM
Hello,

Ah, thank you! I also found 1 other file type that was missing a few days ago (it was .ndb).

Anyone out there find any others that are missing?
 RedHawke
08-26-2004, 1:15 AM
Hello Cchargin,

Just so you know .ndb files aren't necissary, they are an extra file generated by HazardX's script compiler, along with the scripts actual compiled .nss, and aren't necissary for the mod to run, probably a holdover from NWN.

Boba Rhett
08-26-2004, 1:23 AM
This is just fantabulous, cchargin. A big step forward for the modding community, for sure.
 Darth333
08-26-2004, 1:28 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
Hello Cchargin,

Just so you know .ndb files aren't necissary, they are an extra file generated by HazardX's script compiler, along with the scripts actual compiled .nss, and aren't necissary for the mod to run, probably a holdover from NWN.

Yup, just for your info, this is what i found at nwn forums concerning .ndb files: http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=233328&forum=63)

For the readmes included in the mod packages, I have a few of them in html instead of txt but it's nothing dramatic.
 Hybris
08-26-2004, 7:31 PM
Thank you God for puting this full bore leagnd in the makeing in this forum to make such a needed mod.

CC as Head the RoughRider Clan I give the blessings of Master Hybris the Warsmith, Master Athena Goddess of Stealth, and Master Hefaistos God of Assults.

Good Luck and Godspeed for all of your mods.

P.S I will be Watching for your work!
 cchargin
08-26-2004, 9:42 PM
Hello,

Thank you God for puting this full bore leagnd in the makeing in this forum to make such a needed mod. CC as Head the RoughRider Clan I give the blessings of Master Hybris the Warsmith, Master Athena Goddess of Stealth, and Master Hefaistos God of Assults. Good Luck and Godspeed for all of your mods. P.S I will be Watching for your work!

And some people think that getting money for their work is better than receiving posts like the one above! Fools.

Thanks Hybris I really appreciate your post.

Thanks to all in this forum for your support and kind words, these are what keep me coding.
 cchargin
08-27-2004, 8:47 PM
Hello all,

Kotor Mod Manager 0.2a has been released.

This is just a bug fix release, nothing new.

- .lip files now recognized as mod files (thanks RedHawke)
- Fixed a bug that could leave a file destination empty

You can get it at pcgamemods or my site:

http://www.pcgamemods.com)

or

RedHawke
08-27-2004, 11:27 PM
^^^^
And thank you for the program Cchargin! :D
 RedHawke
09-03-2004, 2:21 AM
Hello again Cchargin,

Just a couple more things to sort out with KMM. :D

KMM 0.2a is not putting .mod files into the KOTOR modules folder and that can cause some serious problems for new area mods as the .mod file needs to go into the KOTOR/modules directory instead of the override.

Also KMM 0.2a isn't recognizing(sp?) another type of modfile it is global.jrl and it is the file that contains all of the games journal entries and is needed in the override if a modder wants to add a quest or other Journal information on something like a recruited NPC. I totally forgot to tell you about this one from before with my Recruitable RedHawke Mod, as I had the global.jrl problem then as well.

Sorry Cchargin, I hate being the bearer of bug news... but if nobody tells you about things like this, they will never get fixed... right! :angel:
 cchargin
09-03-2004, 4:30 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the info on .jrl files!

.mod file needs to go into the KOTOR/modules directory instead of the override
The problem here is that a .mod file can also go into the lips directory. KMM does not try to guess where files should go. That is why when you add a mod to KMM you can select the destination for each file. Even better is if the mod creator includes a .kmm file with their mod that already specifies where the files should go.

Sorry Cchargin, I hate being the bearer of bug news
Hey, no problem! That is one reason why I am here in the forums to get feedback and bug reports. Keep 'em coming!
 RedHawke
09-03-2004, 7:43 PM
The problem here is that a .mod file can also go into the lips directory. KMM does not try to guess where files should go. That is why when you add a mod to KMM you can select the destination for each file. Even better is if the mod creator includes a .kmm file with their mod that already specifies where the files should go.

[Toy Story Aliens] OoooooHhhhhhh!!! [/Toy Story Aliens]

Sorry Cchargin... I totally forgot about the .lip files being stored in .mod form. :headbump

:D
Page: 1 of 1