Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Thinking about buying: questions...

Page: 1 of 1
 Elthair
07-11-2004, 6:48 PM
Right, i have been toying with the demo for some time now and it seems awesome. However, there are a few questions i have regarding Multiplayer, mainly duel & powerduel:

what kind of maps are these? reatively large, flat arenas where you have all sace you want, or with cliffs, deep stuff, ect (a bit like the second demo map: cult sighting?)

Is saber combat multiplayer tougher than vs bots, that is concerning making cool moves yourself? or is it just the opponent that gets harder?

If you have a saberstaff/duel saber, can you learn to use fast/stromg/medium attack stances for -one blade off- too? In the demo my abilities with these weapons where mediocre as soon as i switched one off: i tried a pull-smash once with half-on staff but it didnt work and i think it would be cool to suddently do a fast attack kata with one blade to suprise your opponent...

Also, can you switch from various normal-saber styles during combat? ie use fast, but sometimes switch to medium? Or learn hard and switch to medium? ect ect?

How long does a good duel last? Is it constant action or do you sometimes back off to reload? is it one good hit kills or is your opponent still alive after cutting his head off with a nice butterfly, or will he stand firmly after a spinning kata passed through him?

How does force speed work?

Dark jedi often kick even when using 2 baldes or single blade. How?

Are duels mainly button-mashing & hitting the keyboard as much as possible or do you have to use combo's to get anywhere?

In powerduel does the one jedi have better stats to, or should he mainly be a better player? How fair is it?

Saber staff has far more attacks than the other sabers. Is this an advantage?

Will think of some more soon...

Regards, me.
 ZeroX2
07-11-2004, 7:21 PM
Whew... Here goes. :P

Originally posted by Elthair what kind of maps are these? reatively large, flat arenas where you have all sace you want, or with cliffs, deep stuff, ect (a bit like the second demo map: cult sighting?)
That all depends on the map maker. There is a large variety, but they usually have some combination of open space and some other nifty feature that makes the map rather nice and unique.

Is saber combat multiplayer tougher than vs bots, that is concerning making cool moves yourself? or is it just the opponent that gets harder?

That depends on the player. Beginners, or "n00bs" as some people refer to them, are usually easier than Jedi Master bots. Good players, however, are more difficult. There's no one strategy to use - when fighting a good player, you must observe and find an opening.

If you have a saberstaff/duel saber, can you learn to use fast/stromg/medium attack stances for -one blade off- too? In the demo my abilities with these weapons where mediocre as soon as i switched one off: i tried a pull-smash once with half-on staff but it didnt work and i think it would be cool to suddently do a fast attack kata with one blade to suprise your opponent...

No. Dual Sabers come with a less-powerful light stance, and Saber Staves come with a less-powerful medium stance, I believe (I don't use Staves). The Dual Saber's Single Light has the Light Lunge, however. No katas or pull-slashed can be used, though. There's a point to the Single Saber. :P

Also, can you switch from various normal-saber styles during combat? ie use fast, but sometimes switch to medium? Or learn hard and switch to medium? ect ect?

Yes, a Single Saber user gets all the saber styles - assuming his Saber Offence is at level 3.

How long does a good duel last? Is it constant action or do you sometimes back off to reload? is it one good hit kills or is your opponent still alive after cutting his head off with a nice butterfly, or will he stand firmly after a spinning kata passed through him?

Again, it varies. Beginner versus beginner tends to be a short random-attacking war. Good versus good tends to be a long, nifty, drawn-out battle. :) Good versus beginner would obviously be short - the good would see an instant opening and slash with a devestating blow, to word it nicely.

How does force speed work?

It speeds you up - everyone else stays at normal speed. Also, it doesn't speed you up as much as in Single Player. Level 3 is 75% faster, I believe, rather than 400%.

Dark jedi often kick even when using 2 baldes or single blade. How?

They have a slightly different saber style, allowing them to kick you. Cheating little...

Are duels mainly button-mashing & hitting the keyboard as much as possible or do you have to use combo's to get anywhere?

Beginners tend to hold down the attack button and run towards you, or repeatedly use special moves. Good players tend to only use specials when there's an opening, only slash when there's an opening (and instead, keep up their defence), and use combos when they can.

In powerduel does the one jedi have better stats to, or should he mainly be a better player? How fair is it?

I haven't played Power Duels much, so I'm not sure how balanced it is, but the lone duelist has an edge in force and health.

Saber staff has far more attacks than the other sabers. Is this an advantage?

Not necessarily. Quality, not quantity. ;)

I hoped that helped. Whew. Back to JA. :)
 Kurgan
07-13-2004, 4:57 AM
In PowerDuel, the lone player gets 150 HP (instead of 100) and has fast force regeneration time.

Keep in mind, many admins are, shall we say "st00pid" and have set their game up so that EVERYONE has fast force regeneration, leading to special move spamming, and negating the balance in PowerDuel and making Force Boon and Team Regeneration essentially useless.

Duel length is also affected by the Server's choice of saberdamagescale.

The "Default" setting is 1, which makes duels last a long time. But sadly this setting used in non dueling modes makes the saber weak and ineffectual in combat with non saber weapons. Saberdamagescale 2 is about right for non Duels and it makes Duels a little more "Fast and furious." Some servers have higher damage settings, so battles are even shorter.

Basically high damage is better for non Duels, but if you go above 3x damage, it starts to get a bit silly.

PS: Multiplayer lacks or modifies some of the SP moves.

"Pull stabs", "Spin kicks" "flip kicks" and the slo-mo effects of various moves/powers and some of the visual effects of various force powers are not present in MP, except with certain mods.

In SP you can walk around doing many of the Katas and twirls, but in MP you are limited so spinning with the mouse (katas) or no movement at all (twirls).

In SP the saber barrier gives you a fixed angle camera POV and you can't spin. In MP your camera isn't fixed and you can spin with the mouse.

Many of the swings are different as well. In general MP has tighter controls, and has less of the "floaty cinematic" feel of SP.
 Elthair
07-13-2004, 5:30 AM
MP you are limited so spinning with the mouse (katas) or no movement at all (twirls).

You mean you have to remain in a single spot while doing a twirl, and that you can only turn around during a Kata?
Also, You mean you can turn around while doing saber barrier?

And the three moves you mentonned, they simply are not available? why not, and do they have a replacement? without pull-stab Fast setting becomes pretty useless no? or is that a misconception?

most important question though: is SP saber combat more fun than MP? After all the only reason to get the game for me would be the sabers, in SP but especially on-line and over LAN (my bro and I have few good 1v1 games...)
 Rumor
07-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Elthair
You mean you have to remain in a single spot while doing a twirl, and that you can only turn around during a Kata?
Also, You mean you can turn around while doing saber barrier?

And the three moves you mentonned, they simply are not available? why not, and do they have a replacement? without pull-stab Fast setting becomes pretty useless no? or is that a misconception?

most important question though: is SP saber combat more fun than MP? After all the only reason to get the game for me would be the sabers, in SP but especially on-line and over LAN (my bro and I have few good 1v1 games...)

What he was saying is that when you do a saber barrier or kata, then you can spin your mouse to spin your character. you cannot do that in sp. Has nothing to do with your normal movement.
 THE FILTHY
07-13-2004, 4:23 PM
dont buy the game. IT SUXXX. trust me!
 ninjaofthenorth
07-13-2004, 4:45 PM
Originally posted by THE FILTHY
dont buy the game. IT SUXXX. trust me!

Dont listen to him. He will be banned soon (hopefully)
 THE FILTHY
07-13-2004, 6:06 PM
im just saying jka sux, cuz it does.
 shukrallah
07-13-2004, 10:43 PM
It speeds you up - everyone else stays at normal speed. Also, it doesn't speed you up as much as in Single Player. Level 3 is 75% faster, I believe, rather than 400%.

In single player the world slows down, force speed 1 slows the world down to 25% less its normal speed... and so on. Yeah, level 3 is 75% slower in SP, you stay at your normal speed. In MP you speed up... 25% 50% and 75%

Overall its a good game, its excellant for editing :) so.. if you like artistic/computer things, try mapping or modeling/skinning. If you like harder advanced computer things, you can code for Multiplayer, or script for Single Player (cutscenes, effecting the world around you, etc.) You can script for single player, or multiplayer. A lot of stuff works in multiplayer (force usable objects such as func_statics, and even misc_model_statics allow you to MD3 models around, such as ships, you can even have NPCs walking around and doing various animations in multiplayer.) Single Player is far more advanced however. If this is your thing ;)

Single Player is basically exactly like in the demo. The sabers stay the same mostly. Use codes and stuff to see all they can do. In MP, they cut out some animations (to decrease lag... and things like that) but its still good.
Page: 1 of 1