Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sideshow steps into the spotlight

Page: 1 of 2
 Katarn07
07-11-2004, 4:37 PM
We've all seen the Monty Python figures and the James Bond figures they've done and we've then seen all the stuff Hasbro makes.

Well, for those wanting realistic stuff and not the toys Hasbro makes, this is some good news for you.

Sideshow has gotten the license for SW stuff for 3 years. They'll be making 18" action figures and they'll be the most realistic, accurate, damned coolest things ever (well, to date that is).

No pics yet, but the first two figures (Luke and Vader) are being unveiled at Comic Con this year so I'll look foward to that. They'll be for sale in 2005.

A heads up: Sideshow make a 16-18" Connery as Bond and he's nearly $200. I'm expecting that price to carry over for these guys as well. :(

Here's the article if you don't visit Rebelscum: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=pr070904_starwars)
 daring dueler
07-14-2004, 8:58 PM
awsome!
they do justice to each and every figure they do. eremy.bond...x-fils.plus so much more...a big FINALLY from me.

(new comp katarn.....ready for those uncontrolled convos!@!??)
 Katarn07
07-15-2004, 11:19 AM
F*** you biatch! :p

Yeah. My estimated price for each is 200-250 each :(

I'll get one for sure. I just have to wait for the pics of each guy to choose who I get. I'll probably get Luke or Han.
 daring dueler
07-15-2004, 10:08 PM
well, there most recent statues (bond) cost 150+..so assuming they are the same size and come on stands.non-posable....they may be that price.ill get one too...i preordered that kotobukiya boba fett (90$)....maybe sideshow will make him eventually...............one can dream.
 Katarn07
07-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Nope, these are action figures and they make a Bond and he goes for 225. They make Kirk and Spock as well and they each go for 200. Their Van Helsing goes for 250. That's where I got the range of pricing from.

The contract if for 3 years. I wouldn't doubt a Boba will come about within that time ;)
 daring dueler
07-16-2004, 9:16 PM
yeah 3 years should definately bring a boba........

u sure about those prices i coulda sworn that my entertainment earth catalog was less....maybe not.
 Katarn07
07-16-2004, 10:05 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi)

There's the 1/4 guys. I would suspect Vader, Stormie, and Boba to be the higher priced ones with all that armor on....

I think they should make a 1/4 Indy. I'd definately get that.
 daring dueler
07-17-2004, 12:34 AM
yeh, an indy would be cool.

hopfully i can afford boba when or if we see that.
 Katarn07
07-18-2004, 3:36 PM
Some other site's forums (Jedi Defender) is claiming these things to be status. That's not what it says in the article I posted :confused:
 daring dueler
07-19-2004, 5:56 PM
i saw an article about it on www.sirstevesguide.com) , said what you first reported.
 ZBomber
07-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Wow! I don't have the money, but damn! Those sound pretty cool!
 Katarn07
07-20-2004, 3:43 PM
Ahh, while they're called action figures, they'll sport little poseability it seems. So I suppose some may call them statues. They're not like busts though. They have cloth clothes, metal accessories, some articulation, etc
 ZBomber
07-20-2004, 4:23 PM
And do their guns fire real bullets? :D
 daring dueler
07-20-2004, 10:23 PM
yes? howd you know?
 ZBomber
07-21-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by daring dueler
yes? howd you know?

Uh, just so I'm clear on this... were you talking to me or Katarn?
 Katarn07
07-21-2004, 11:19 AM
I thought he was talking to you as a joke but the question mark through me off.

I just read the descriptions of other figures and realized they don't have too much articulation. They're also gonna be really limited ('d guess 1000-2000 peices).

And why would they fire bullets? They'd fire laser bolts :rolleyes: :p
 daring dueler
07-21-2004, 5:18 PM
aimed at z, that confusing question mark was a eerily wondering how he knew..(sarcasm ofcourse)
 Katarn07
07-23-2004, 12:09 PM
http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/sdcc04/sdccwed/default.asp)

No pic of Vader. Han looks awesome. Luke still doesn't seem to look exactly like Mark Hamill but that's the closest I've seen anyone come.

That Koto Boba looks kinda cool. I hope Sideshow makes one.
 ZBomber
07-23-2004, 5:14 PM
It looks like Han has black hair though....

Man, that Boba Fett is SWEET.
 daring dueler
07-23-2004, 6:42 PM
i already ordered that boba :D (www.johnstoys.com)

Han and Luke look good, which is the least to expect from sideshow.
you can see, they are using their skill , as usual, to creat an accurate , authentic ,collectible.
 Katarn07
07-29-2004, 1:08 PM
First 5 figures:
Luke (seen at SDCC, in prototype form)
Han (seen at SDCC, in prototype form)
ANH Vader (dueling pose w/ saber up)
Obi-Wan (dueling pose probably, which can interact with Vader to a degree, moveable hood)
ANH Leia

There will probably be some exclusives for their website later on, which will offer a slight twist to some of the above figures, such as probably having the same Han, but with a Stormtrooper belt and blaster included. They weren't quite sure what the Luke "variation" would be yet though.

Highly probable figures after that: Boba Fett, Yoda/Dagobah Luke 2-pack, R2-D2/C-3PO 2-pack, Darth Maul, Qui-Gonn Jinn, X-Wing Luke

Other tidbits:

Production runs will likely be approximately 1,500 to 2,500, depending on how "main" the character is. Once the edition size is set, that's it - no more! Sideshow is considering doing some minor characters in the future as well (such as Bib Fortuna), which would likely have a lower production number.

Price Point: $225 and up (higher for the more intricate maquettes, and 2-packs)

They're experimenting with adding electronics right now, like to things such as the lightsabers.

Finally, and this is the best part, these guys have an attention to detail like I've never seen or heard of before. Tom commented to me that they just recently noticed that a portion of Han's "real" belt had 3 notches, as opposed to the 2 notches that they originally thought, so they're fixing that right away. Expect these pieces to be HIGHLY detailed and damned near PERFECTLY accurate in every single way.

I am excited. Sadly, I don't think any of us will be getting anymore than one (if that).
 daring dueler
07-30-2004, 7:56 PM
like i said, with that contract a boba is bound to be made, ill get one (and it better be him)
 Katarn07
07-30-2005, 9:29 PM
Hasbro/ Sideshow Press Release (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=071205starwarspr&source=072205news)

Besides Andrew, not sure if any of you heard about Hasbro passing their license to the 12" figures to Sideshow. I was excited at first, until I learned it seems they're working together. Hasbro is marketing them and they're gonna be a bully, make Sideshow make a million to put out, and drive them outta business after 100,000,000 $40 figures are sitting across America.

More news on this later in the year; they're due out mid 2006. Hopefully, with luck, they'll be limited as Sideshow usually does with their stuff, and by 'on store shelves,' they mean specialty stores opposed to the big retailers we get figures at. Also, there's talk about them getting a license for EU guys. Are 12" Kyle and Mara and others on their way? We certainly hope so.
 ZBomber
07-30-2005, 10:12 PM
The only 12 inch I ever bought was a 97/98 (around there) Sandtrooper. However, if a 12 inch Kyle is released, I'm definetly gonna buy it since he is the most kick-ass charecter in any Star Wars game.
 Katarn07
07-30-2005, 10:14 PM
Which Sandtrooper? White pauldron or the Venture/ Diamond exclusive orange pauldroned one? Kyle is not only kick ass in any SW game, I'd say video games of all kinds. Cate Archer from No One Lives Forever is close second for me. By the way, my sig hasn't changed yet. You said it was fixed. Is it gonna be uploaded later or did you do it? If you did it, it's not changed. No rush, I can live with the typo for a while ;)

EDIT - It's fine now. God I'm impatient :p
 ZBomber
07-30-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeh, I realized I uploaded the wrong file when I sent you the PM, so once I saw it didn't work I re-uploaded. ;)

I dunno, Steven Tyler was in video game, that might take the cake. :p

And I got the white shoulder pad one, it came with a little droid too, which I uh.... broke....

Actually, think I broke the Sandtrooper too.
 Katarn07
07-30-2005, 10:27 PM
Didn't you break a 3 3/4" one? I was looking at old topics (funny as hell! must reads for you, me, and Andrew :p) and you lost the Sandtrooper's leg. I started laughing at that.

And as for my sig, this is not the pic I originally wanted. I don't know how I sent this one. They may have changed the names or something. But I think it turned out even better this way. Great scene.
 ZBomber
07-30-2005, 10:59 PM
Really? lol I can re-make it with the same bg and you can chose between those two. Just send the pic. ;)
 Katarn07
07-30-2005, 11:06 PM
I know what I did wrong. I clicked link properties instead of image properties. By clicking on the pic, it scrolled to the next pic (the one I sent you). I wanted this (http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1146685/photo_01_hires.jpg) one and wanted both Owen and Vince in it. I wanted them kinda off center with the Christmas comes early thing to the side, much like you've done with my current one.

And yeah, back on topic, go Sideshow!
 ZBomber
07-31-2005, 12:42 AM
Slide-what? :p

Heres the other one ;)
http://www.thelastchild.net/zbomber/sigs/K07wedcrash2.jpg)

Personally, I like the first better, but its up to you ;)
 Katarn07
07-31-2005, 12:59 AM
I like that one better purely because it's got both in it. Thanks alot! ;)

Erm, yay Sideshow! w00t!
 daring dueler
07-31-2005, 3:50 PM
Yah, i know not many poeple here care about the sideshow thing, but weve (me and matt, since were using first names lol) been wating for this for soem time, so i hope hasrbo doesnt screw it up and make sideshow go the way Mcfarlane might.... Luckily Todd was smart enough to make sure the line will continue, with hasbro at the riegns it could crash and burn. I dont wanna see the first sidehshow toys that hit main stpres be p[eg warmers, which is a harsbro skill. Ohh well, we'll see in the coming months.

Reading this old page..lol
 Katarn07
07-31-2005, 4:09 PM
Yeah, McFarlane made way too many things. And since the last two Matrix movies are rated so poorly, those toys did not sell well. Heh, it's funny that the only two I have happen to be from Revolutions, my least favorite one. I hope he manages to get back on his feet. I don't get his stuff anymore, but still. His stuff is some of the most detailed out there. I hope Sideshow doesn't suffer the same fate. They've been around since '95. McFarlane was around back then as well, maybe '96.

And since we're on topic of sigs as well, I was told to resize mine. I thought I would be told, not just so soon. I'm actually surprised my avatar and custom title are allowed here :p Edit: Err, not anymore it seems. Sunvabitch! :p
 daring dueler
07-31-2005, 9:35 PM
Yah I buy mcfarlane because im a pretty big media geek, i think im gonna buy a new alien vs predator figure, the one where predator is throwing the alien...i actually liked the movie. Plus they make music figures, and i think the 3rd quarter of this year (september ish) the guns n' roses slash figure is released, and some napoleon dynomite figures. I have quite a few matrix ones, the entire revolutions series (not boxed sets) and about 3 out of 6 (i think) from reloaded, and sadly only one figure ( tank) from the original..
 Katarn07
08-01-2005, 12:13 PM
I want someone as great as McFarlane to make some Seinfeld figures. Just the main four though. Wouldn't have room for all the others.
 daring dueler
08-01-2005, 4:10 PM
That would be truely awsome, however, i think id need a peterman and a putty and a few more.

I mean. "you on the motorbike, sell me one of your mellons!" or "you may know it as mianmar, but it will always be Berma to me" soo classic.
 Katarn07
08-01-2005, 4:13 PM
Those two popped into my head as well with Newman. I would be tempted to buy them all though. Wilhelm, Mr. Pitt, Mickey, etc
 daring dueler
08-01-2005, 4:17 PM
Or Mr. Krooger, he wasnt in many episodes, but the ones he was in were funny. "im not too worried about it"...good stuff. theres soo many good characters, id be tempted by them all.
 Katarn07
08-01-2005, 4:33 PM
Sideshow has gotten the license for SW stuff for 3 years..

Back on topic, I wonder how this new 12" line affects their license. Will they hold it for more than 3 years now or what? Thoughts anyone? I say if Hasbro is smart, nothing would have changed. If these things are marketed well and are successful, then Sideshow will get the opportunity to renew the license and for a longer time.
 daring dueler
08-01-2005, 5:43 PM
Yah, that would be smart.

I still worry if hasbro takes over marketing that the old sideshow, where only people who knew toys could get them, will be kinda destroyed...

I mean i love sideshow, and while i dont own ALOT of stuff by by them, i repect them alot...and i dont want to see anything happen to the company. So if hasbro orders sideshow to make alot of the figures, and put them on retail shelves...i dont think (firts of all) that they will sell very well with a $40 price tag, and we will see some peg warmers...thus hurting sideshow, and the overall value of the figures.
 Katarn07
08-02-2005, 2:49 AM
My dad gets Bonds. I would have settled with Connery and Brosnan in the tux, but he gets more anyways. They're all nice, I just could do with more of something else is all. You know I got the PotA. Not sure where that'll go after the Beneath PotA guys come. More sequel guys or secondary characters like Julius the jailor or Lucius the nephew? Time will tell. That's all I get from them but agree about respecting them. They are awesome.
 daring dueler
08-02-2005, 2:56 AM
Just about everything in media that has a cult fallowing has been imortalised by Sideshow..its cool.

I need to get the x-files ciggerette smokign man, id like a sean connery bond too. I would get POTA if i had the money, but i simply dont, even though id just get the basics.
 Katarn07
08-02-2005, 2:58 AM
Yeah, I know. He didn't want them but I talked him into it. I didn't really want the mutants or Astronaught Taylor/ Brent, but he got them anyways. Whatever. They're cool and really limited.
 daring dueler
08-02-2005, 3:02 AM
Yah, I dont like the astronaut stuff that much really, id get the basics like i said...Just a simple charlton Heston figure (the one in the cloth clothing) and zias and such.
 Katarn07
08-02-2005, 3:10 AM
Yup. I'm glad we got it now. It's all cool stuff. I'll end up getting most of the Sideshow SW as well, even if they are repeats. They're too cool.
 Katarn07
08-22-2005, 2:20 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/php/081905sweu.php?&source=swpoll)

VOTE TODAY!

Vote Mara or Thrawn if you know what's good for you :p I can't believe they have Kir Kanos and not Kyle :confused:
 daring dueler
08-22-2005, 4:50 PM
Voted Mara. I do like Kir Kanos, but yah hes no Kyle.
 ZBomber
08-22-2005, 9:05 PM
Voted Mara, I might actually buy that, Mara rocks!
 daring dueler
08-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Mara rules...Kyle rocks..poor Kyle. I still hope they dont ship them everywhere..
 ZBomber
08-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Mara rules...Kyle rocks..poor Kyle. I still hope they dont ship them everywhere..

Whys that?
Page: 1 of 2