Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

My Original Idea!!

Page: 1 of 1
 lwwiz
07-03-2004, 8:21 PM
Hi gang im sure we all know what func_doors and func_glass is right?
Of course we do well i came up with a totally origional idea that i will be making a vid tuton. We will have a hanger door that has some glass up above it. When we blast the glass the door will open up. This is totally my idea but i want you all to learn from it. I have more ideas comming and i should have that vid tut later. enjoy.
 lauser
07-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Wow...you're amazing. That sounds great! You are an inspiration to us all! :p
 Mercenary
07-04-2004, 6:47 AM
You should be working for id software :thumbsup:
 lwwiz
07-04-2004, 10:04 AM
hehe thanks guys. And I wish i could work for id software!
 LightNinja
07-04-2004, 10:54 AM
hope see it soon :D
 lwwiz
07-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Sure i should have it done this week for you guys.
 mslaf
07-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Cool!!!! :jester1:
 lwwiz
07-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Hey guys if you have any video tut requests let me know jedigammer@hotmail.com id be glad to make any vid tuts i can to help anyone out. I should have this one and a elevator one along with the correct way to build your very first room.
 lwwiz
07-04-2004, 12:40 PM
okay here is a pic of the one i built for my level mine has a flashing red light behind it to let you know you got to hit me kinda. lol anyways heres the pic before its shot. oh and when you shoot the glass the door open at speed 10 wich makes it much more realistic. and would be even better with sounds.
http://www.3d-wiz.com/pics/jedi_008.jpg)
 *Dark
07-04-2004, 1:10 PM
What i think would be better, is if you shoot the glass, then a door closes over it, as if to block it up again, that would be good
 lwwiz
07-04-2004, 1:17 PM
well that can be done to but thats not the intent of this one but that is a good idea.
 wedge2211
07-08-2004, 7:24 PM
Who needs a tutorial to learn how to press Ctrl+K?
 *Dark
07-09-2004, 5:53 AM
Ctrl + k?
i always press n then type target and targetname
 LightNinja
07-09-2004, 6:57 AM
some advanced mapping vid tuts would be very usefull, you could do a webpage with that =D
 Pahricida
07-09-2004, 8:22 AM
Now I know why imperial battlestations and stuff have always been taken by the rebels that easy...
If you just need to shoot some glass to make a door open ... :eek:
 *Dark
07-09-2004, 11:44 AM
The imperials always were a bit stupid, arr well, too bad.
 lwwiz
07-09-2004, 12:21 PM
well pressing Ctrl K has been know to have a few errors the way i show it is the proper way it should be done. And Its just a tutorial doesnt mean you have to do it. lol enjoy dudes.
 lauser
07-10-2004, 5:27 PM
ROFLMAO! Lwwiz, how old are you? I tried your first tutorial on starting a basic map. It's actually a good Idea I must admit. But it does need a lot more detail. And it's a little bit fast but I suppose you can always repeat the lesson.
You sound like you're about 14 years old...correct?

I think your first lesson should be how Radiant works and how to move around. Most NEW mappers will be so lost they will cry without knowing how the camera works. :D
 shukrallah
07-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Hmmm... video tutorials is a good idea, but you need a lot more 'helpful' ideas. Like maybe shooting a switch that opens a door, instead of glass. Something that someone could use in a single player mission. Perhaps the old lock and key trick? Or even how to press a button to open door. Its basic stuff, but its good for beginners who want to learn stuff.
 *Dark
07-13-2004, 5:13 AM
I was thinking about making tutorials on how to do basic thing like make a door that works, or a button. Basic things like that, that new mappers want to know how to do.
 lwwiz
07-13-2004, 11:52 AM
hey guys yeah im 15 not that that matters or anything but i chose glass because its origional noboy else has done it and i do it wuickly so the vid size mb isnt is big. and i might make some wuick tuts on camera clipping etcc ya never know. Im lookinmg for a team of mappers to help me do it if anyones interested let me know they will be hosted by my site http://www.3d-wiz.com/mapping) so let me know jedigammer@hotmail.com
 zeimi
07-13-2004, 5:36 PM
I just watched your tutorial video about this just out of curiosity. It was rather funny because of your confusion between target and targetname. I suggest getting to know your subject well and try if your creations work before you start recording a video tutorial.
 lauser
07-13-2004, 5:37 PM
Whats original about GLASS? You mean your idea? I'm pretty sure it's been done before.
 lwwiz
07-14-2004, 2:11 PM
hey guys not everyone is perfect and does things spot on first time. im also a bit mic shy thats why i messes up but since i got it worked out i think that for a begginner its good enough please stop baddagering me about my vids if you dont like them then dont download them it just uses my bandwith anyway thanks.
 B00mer
07-18-2004, 10:33 PM
i SERIOUSLY thought you were all being sarcastic when you guys said "wow... your amazing" and "wow this is awesome"

jesus this only has to do with triggers. Easy to do and im sure it has been done before. But i wont start flaming. Glad to see someone actually make a vid tut IN ENGLISH.
 lwwiz
07-20-2004, 11:39 AM
yeah i like vid tuts best so i decded to do em that way. and ive never seen this done before with the glass abve the door just were you have to destroy like buttons and such.
 mslaf
07-20-2004, 12:50 PM
I personally think that you are doing a great work with your video tutorials. They may be very useful for all the noobs around. You should check the 3d-buzz site because they have some tutorials about the radiant and “Quake 3” mapping. There’s no sense to re-create the wheel.

There’re few advanced mappers here and the sarcasm was not about the tutorials but about your “original idea”, that frankly speaking was stu…. ehh, let’s say it was funny. You can create something that is sensible and more/less realistic.

Example: imagine that there’s a wall and if it breaks the door opens and the stormtroopers (alarmed by the broken wall) will enter the area through this door. This will give the player some fun because there’s something to break and some combat fun because there’s someone to kill.

I just hate to run thought the levels filled by the great number of incomprehensible and unreal puzzles. I don’t like to run and shot all the glasses around to pass to the next section, I prefer to destroy the door or to open it by using a switch.

Nevertheless, keep up your good work.
 lwwiz
07-20-2004, 1:42 PM
hey bud yeah i know about 3d buzz but there tuts are for quake so im just kinda going to do everything i can for jedi. and about my idea i never said anyone had to like it i just thaught id share the idea. I havent even used my idea in my level yet.
 Andur_Sunrider
08-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Umm you do know that Quake 3 mapping, and Jedi Academy mapping, are pretty much the SAME! They use the same game engine. The only difference is in one game you can do things, you cant do in the other.
 lwwiz
08-01-2004, 12:37 PM
yes i know that but 1 thing about my vids compared to 3dbuzz is you dont have to earn a star i just give them out for free. and soon i hope i will be able to get a pro mapper to do like a live video type chat over the comp while we do a mapping tut i havent quite figured out how i will do it but if you have any ideas email me with em.
Page: 1 of 1