Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Compile questions...

Page: 1 of 1
 |GG|Carl
06-30-2004, 12:48 PM
What does those things actually mean:

"-super 2"
"-bounce 8"
"-filter"

I'm just curious...
 Codja X
06-30-2004, 3:26 PM
- bounce 8 is basically the number of "bouces" the -light part of q3map2 performs when calculating radiosty.

- super 2 is an obsolete command. It is basically a form of supersampling - where the lightmap is rendered to a much higher resolution than normal and then resized to fit the map. This normally produces a much more detailed lightmap i.e. shadows are less jagged, but it is slow and has been replaced with the -samples switch (combined with the -samplesize switch for the -bsp phase)

-filter - this blurs the lightmap slightly to soften jagged edges on shadows - also obsolete.

Check out the q3map2 forum on http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewforum&f=8to) view explanations from Ydnar on exactly what the switches do (not for the faint hearted!)

Or check out the manual at:

http://shaderlab.com/q3map2/manual/)

What i'd recommend are the following switches:

add -samplesize 2 to your bsp phase (the higher the number, the higher the number of samples, the more detailed the lightmap, the longer the compile time).

add - samples 2 to your light phase (again, higher number = higher compile times). Also add a -fast switch as it makes next to no difference visually - it's slightly darker that's all, but compiles a HELL of a lot quicker.

For radiosity, you may want to decrease the number of bounces to 4, but increase the effect the bounces have with -bouncescale. -bouncescale 2 having twice the "power" of a normal bouce.
 |GG|Carl
07-01-2004, 6:19 AM
Thanks man! :)
 Codja X
07-01-2004, 12:57 PM
No problem.

I love little posts like this - bump up my number of posts.

I'll be buggered if i'm staying an Ewok for any length of time:)
 Jedi_Vogel
07-02-2004, 3:58 AM
:lol:

20 more to go Codja...alternatively join in the discussions on Yoda's Swamp ;) :lol:
Page: 1 of 1