Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

~Question for the Pros~

Page: 1 of 1
 Bigshynepo
06-26-2004, 10:52 PM
I puchased a copy of grim fandango. I have always yearned to play this game from back when I had a subscription to PC gamer and saw the steller review it got. My problem is this and I hope someone out there can offer some insight:

I installed the game on a AMD 750 with 352 mbs of ram running Windows XP with a Creative Labs soundblaster PCI card and 32mbs of onboard video ram (Savage3). The game is patched and this problem exists both with the game insalled typically and installed and regpatched to run with all data on the harddrive.

Upon entering Domino's office for the first time at the beginning of the game, if I have the voice turned on, as soon as Dom responds to my first question I am booted back out to Windows (in both regular and 95 compatibility mode). If I turn off voice, the scene continues as normal.

First encounters with Sal resulted in a eerily similar crash.

So I thought it had something to do with my soundcard and as long as I didn't play with voices (one of my FAVORITE parts of the game) maybe I could continue playing.

Upon finding Glottis's heart and retreiving it, I extingished the demon beavers and went back out to join Glottis and the car. Regardless of setting configuration, I can not get back on the car without being booted back out to Windows.

Has anyone solved a similar problem like this?
Anyone have any suggestions?
I am fairly computer literate so I'm up for just about any solution. Thanks in advance guys & gals.

BigShynePo
 JofaGuht
06-27-2004, 12:49 AM
I experienced the same problem, though I don't know a specified solution it usually didn't do it if I saved right before the place I'd get booted out. I had 98 though.
 Bigshynepo
06-27-2004, 2:18 AM
Thanks JofaGuht but all attempts seem to just result in the kick out to windows. There is no error or anything, my monitor just flickers and I'm back in windows. Does anyone know what the "Voice Effects on-off" feature does? I thought that may have something to do with it but I'm probably wrong.

It just seems to be when Manny is reallllly being Manny and about to kick it up a notch, the game quits out. You can imagine my dissapointment heh.
 Thrik
06-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Have you tried setting the compatability mode back to, say, Win98? That could allow you to use the workaround that Jofa has shared.
Page: 1 of 1