Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

This is a joke, right?

Page: 1 of 2
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 7:26 AM
That is a truly awful demo.

The graphics are laughable and unless Lucasarts have limited the demo to 16 colours (not 16-bit) and res to 640x480, they are in big trouble. Remember that this game was supposed to herald the 'Return of Lucasarts'. From what i've seen so far, it will help continue there domination of the bargain bins.

Before you start flaming, I know that graphics do not make a game, but after playing the demo, do you really think that the full game will show any improvement over the gameplay from AOE2?

This should have been called Age of Empires 2: The Unofficial Star Wars Mission Pack.

Bunch of arse.

PS: To all the fan boys who are saying that the demo is good - I hope you're being sarcastic. Come on, if you keep buying this ****, they'll keep making it.
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 7:32 AM
looks like someone hasent played multiplyer yet :o

play the demo COMPLETLY before you flame it.......
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 7:37 AM
Oh, I didn't know this was a multiplayer only game...

WATCH THE LANGUAGE PLEASE -Rhett
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 7:40 AM
as i can see that YOU have already made up your mind, there is no point in carrying this on......all I'll say is if you don't like it.........

GO AWAY!
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 7:48 AM
Oh, I see...I was under the impression that this was a 'discussion' board. I didn't realise that you're only allowed to 'discuss' how 'great' this 'demo' is.

I think you'll find that the point of a demo is that people can decide whether they want to purchase the game. For Lucasarts to release this, and expect it to impress, is a joke.

To be fair though, I haven't played MP. Can you let me know the improvements over the SP game and over AOE2 MP?

Thanks.
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 8:07 AM
yes this is a 'discussion' board......not a 'Flame The Game Without Any Backing' Board....if your going to flame it, at least play more than 1 mision (a rather poor mission...)

Graphics: The demo only supports 1024*768.....plus if you want a great graphics RTS buy Battle For Dune.....and why do you keep mentioning AoE2? you can't like that! it uses the same engine! those graphics suck! :rolleyes:

Gameplay: What Major improvements did the Rise Of Rome Expantion have over Aoe? or the AoE2:TC? (although i woulden't know...i didn't buy either.....please enlighten me....) and yet both of them were deemed a success?

Well changes and improvments in GB are....

A) Power Cores....
B) Flying Units...
C) Shield Generators...
D) Animal Nurseries...
E) Cloaking...
F) Actully Origanal Art For Each Civ...

and these are just the things off the top of my head......plus basically every starwars charecter you can think of......imagen re-creating the battle of hoth? or endor? oh wait, let me guess your not a starwars fan..........

Now go actully play a game.....then come back and flame it if you want to.........
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 8:22 AM
hmmm this may just be speculation.....but can you say viper clone....lets look at profiles.....

Vipers (http://forums.galacticbattles.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=364)

MacGeeza (http://forums.galacticbattles.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=398)

look at birthdate.......another thing to note is that our Delphi-WS has also got N/A......but then again so does Mr Gaber so i am proberly just blowing smoke :D
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 8:34 AM
To be patronised by someone who was born three years after the release of Return of the Jedi is insulting, to say the least.

Of course i'm a big Star Wars fan. I'm just not an obsessive, and certainly wouldn't buy a sh*t game because it carried the Star Wars name.

I have re-enacted the battle of Endor, in a game called X-Wing: Alliance. Although not the best of the X-Wing series, it actually went some way to creating that amazing Star Wars atmosphere sadly lacking in the previous few releases.

Can you really say that this demo is as good as you were expecting?

I defy you to say that this met your expectations.

Wake up and smell the Gungans, my friend.
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 8:39 AM
Are you insinuating that this is an attack of the clones?

bedum-chiii.

We're similar in that neither of us have chosen to input any other details (even though Viper has submitted his homepage).

Congratulations Mr Holmes.
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 8:48 AM
No.....Viper just spams alot.....is rude and stuborn.....and has had about 4 diffrent profiles.......i was just connecting the dots......but he can't type........so your proberly off the hook :D

anyway....no the demo did not meet all my expections....some of the animations were abit funkey (see: AT-ST) and i was expecting abit "more" or it.......but thats why it is a demo......

can you seriously say that the graphics were so terrable that it ruint the game, and that the gameplay was to stale......(see: multiplayer.....the ONE SP mission sucked....)

AoE (a great game...) in the Starwars universe (a great setting....) i don't see what the problem is......

*and i made the assumption about you not being a SW fan from the crack about Lucas......its something that an anti-fan would say......and whats my age got to do with how much i like starwars?
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 9:03 AM
Oh right. You mean he tells people to go away when they are trying to have an intelligent conversation? Yeah, that's quite rude. :)

Listen, I really do hope you enjoy and get the most out of this game when it is released...seriously.

My point is that GB is just another poor attempt by Lucasarts to make a bit of dough. This time, by slapping poor Star Wars imagery on to a successful game engine. The reason for doing this is twofold. Not only do they catch all the Star Wars nuts, they also snare fans of AOE (i.e. a lot), and consequently hope that everyone forgets about Force Commander and we all live happily ever after.

Well, I say they were wrong to give up on Force Commander. Instead of taking the easiest option, maybe they should have addressed the problems with FC and tried to come up with a RTS that actually progresses the genre, rather then a bland makeover that took minimum effort.

As for AOE = good game, Star Wars = good setting. I can't argue with that, but in this case, the sum certainly isn't greater then it's parts!

*Anti-fan? Come on. Lucas is so far up his own arse these days, i'm suprised he hasn't got a shrunken head.

*Age? Only that you were patronising me, even though i'd seen the films about 50 times each before you were born. (OK, I admit this paragraph is childish).
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 9:20 AM
I am sure SW:GB is an attempt to make abit of cash.....but I wouldn't say a poor one....so far i have been pleased......yet you still havent tried multiplayer.....

As for taking the easy option....sometimes it is not a bad idea to take the easy option....allows them to concentrate on something other than the engine......like gameplay......

*Age? Only that you were patronising me, even though i'd seen the films about 50 times each before you were born.

See: Comment you made.....think about it......
See: Still, whats age got to do with it?

I think this is the case of having to agrea to disagrea......I think the game is going to be great (and from the possitive feed back, I don't think i am alone.....) and you think its going to be poor......
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 9:31 AM
Agreed. Let's disagree.

However, I have not deleted any posts at all. I don't know where you got that from. Maybe you could tell me what I deleted?

I'd like to know.

I'm assuming it's some cheap ploy to discredit me?
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 9:38 AM
it seems to have re-apeared......how very strange :eyeraise:
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 9:46 AM
Well, I edited one of my posts to take into account some of the points you had made by editing one of your posts. Maybe that's why it disappeared?

Yeah, I deleted one of my posts because i'm scared...(sigh)

Clutching at straws because you can't come up with any intelligent responses?

I think everyone now knows what your age has to do with it. Hopefully, once you've grown up, you might be able to make a few valid points now and again.
 Clefo
10-02-2001, 9:52 AM
There are some things in life where age does matter (i.e Being in the army, Driving a car, drinking etc) However making good points in debates dosen't matter in age. I've seen 16 year olds outdebte 30 yearolds
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 9:57 AM
How nice for you. Congratulations.

My point is, that Mr Sub and I were having a fairly interesting discussion when he resorted to the old 'accuse person of deleting posts and try to make them look lame' trick. You can follow this above (if he hasn't deleted most of his posts by now).
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 9:59 AM
Originally posted by McGeeza

Clutching at straws because you can't come up with any intelligent responses?

you were ALMOST to the civil stage.....but then you just had to star flaming again.......PLEASE go to the top of this page.....PLEASE read my posts (pay special attention to the one highlighting the additions over AoE....A game you seem to like....)......PLEASE play more than a 5 minute SP match.........

PLEASE realise that I like the game most of this forum like the game.....if you don't like the game, and can't be bothered to actully try it out thats your loss.....
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 10:05 AM
Hey, I agreed to disagree, and I said that I hope you enjoy the game.

I just think you should apologise for accusing me of deleting posts.

Let's hope that Jedi Outcast, Knights of the Old Republic and Galaxies can change my mind about Lucasarts!
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 10:15 AM
Well, I edited one of my posts to take into account some of the points you had made by editing one of your posts. Maybe that's why it disappeared?

I think you should apologise for flaming me...... :rolleyes:
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 10:18 AM
You sad, sad person.

Now, I suppose you're going to say that your PC is better then mine, or stamp your feet?

Tragic...
 EndSub
10-02-2001, 10:32 AM
YES MY PC IS BETTER THAN YOURS! STAMP, STAMP, STAMP!

I edited my post so it didn't say you deleted it? or didn't you notice that?

you came here saying the demo sucked.....after playing a 5 minute hero mission.........I tried to show you other wise (see: play multiplayer) you say i *jack off over George Lucas (WTF?!?!) I tell you to go away......then you ask why this is better than AoE....I list the additions......I say you can't be a SW fan (see: *) and you insult me about my age? (whats that got to do with it.....)

Then you continue to say the game sucks (after playing 5 minutes....) and then you say that i tried to pull the 'say he deleted a post and make him look lame trick....' even though i that i found it and edited my post (we all make mistakes....)

you then insult me about my age (again....)....and say that i am 'clasping for straws' (remember, this is about SW:GB and i have already said what makes it stand out.....keep your eye on the ball.....)

then you ask for an apology ( see: *) .....

and i am tragic? :confused:
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 10:48 AM
There you go mate, a reasoned argument. I knew you had it in you. Congratulations.

OK, point taken about the deletion, but you could have mentioned that you deleted it so that others reading knew the score.

All I can hope is that I have made you think about the unconditional love you guys show for all things Lucasarts. You are the customers. You can vote with your wallets.

No-one can say that this blew them away, so why not talk about it, discuss your concerns, rather then saying 'wow, this demo rocks' etc,. You never know, someone from Lucasarts may be reading these posts and you might make a difference...

Goodbye and happy gaming.
 Wraith 5
10-02-2001, 10:55 AM
I have a few questions for McGeeza...

I would just like to know why you don't like the game???

From what i see you don't like it because it has poor grapics and one bad single player game???

If you are getting a bed res you should look into getting a better computer, because mine plays on 1024x768

And who can you judge the game by one single player mission. I have played AoEII and i thought it was right on par for the first mission of a campan... It was like most of the first missions in AoEII. Greated i have not played all of the campans so there could be better ones, but i thought it was a lot like the joan of arc begining. They didn't want to give away to much of the game, so the put in a mission that they knew everyone knew already took place.

And I think the grapics are par for AoEII engine. Look at the grapics in AoEII, they are about the same or better.

So i guess i have to ask....

Are thouse the only resons you don't like the game or are there more i missed....

And please don't call me a child for asking this, i am just trying to learn what people think is wrong with the game because i do like it.

Oh i see you posted before i did so i thougth i would add this just FYI The Director of Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Garry M Gaber does post at this fourm. Please see Greetings (http://forums.galacticbattles.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413)
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 12:05 PM
Hello Wraith 5.

I don't know why my opinion should bother you that much? If you like the game, then that is all that matters really. But, if you insist:

I started up the one player game and was frankly astonished with the quality of graphics. As I said before, I know that graphics do not make a game, but it is the first thing you see and so it is your first impression of the game. The graphics aren't just bad, they are absolutely atrocious.

You see, with me, it's all about atmosphere. When I see Vader dancing gaily as he attacks, I think he tends to lose all credibility as the hardest bloke in the galaxy. It's in the detail. To see the once-mighty TIE Bombers HOVERING above there targets dropping devastating green SNOWFLAKES, and the Empire's credibility starts to wane.

I understand that they have to differentiate between the forces, but since when have Rebels worn lovely white jumpsuits with orange tabards? There must have been a better way. I'll take another recent RTS as an example - Commandos 2. Yes I know it's an action RTS and it doesn't have resource management. However, they resisted the temptation to have all the allies wear purple aprons, and the axis don't have bright pink scarves so that everyone knows who everyone is.

Another thing: voice acting. Why did they bother? If you can't be arsed to stump up the cash to get JEJ (i'm guessing, he doesn't have too much on these days) to do Vader’s voice in game, don't do it. Of course, GB isn't the only LA game to suffer from this (Lando in Alliance, anyone? dear oh dear), but some bloke talking into a traffic cone doesn't wash with me.

I know that my arguments centre around the graphics and sound, but with the limited gameplay on offer in the demo there really isn't much else to go on and I just can't see that this is anything more then AOE2: SW Mission Pack, which - as Endsub pointed out - most people are completely happy with. I am not.

If it floats your boat, then good luck you. You certainly don't need my or anyone else's seal of approval.

PS: I'm on the work PC, which is a reasonable spec, so I can't really see that being the problem.

PPS: Now, a Star Wars RTS infiltration game using the commandos 2 engine...that would be something to get excited about...:)
 wildthing
10-02-2001, 12:26 PM
I would say just hold off until the full meal deal gets here in Nov.

Who knows, they may address the concerns you have with the game.

Other then the sound and graphics though, you have to admit it's pretty fun.

Just my 2 cents

-----------------------------------
I thought I saw a . . .

Wild Thing :thrawn2:
 Kudar
10-02-2001, 12:30 PM

When I see Vader dancing gaily as he attacks, I think he tends to lose all credibility as the hardest bloke in the galaxy.

:D LMAO that's superb, can I use that as my signature?

:vadar:
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 12:34 PM
Hehe.

Be my guest. Just give me credit :)

*I was only kidding, but I see that you have. Very Kind :)
 Kudar
10-02-2001, 12:43 PM
That is the funniest thing I've heard all day :D

Hehe.

Be my guest. Just give me credit :)

*I was only kidding, but I see that you have. Very Kind :)
 porkins14
10-02-2001, 12:45 PM
I think you are intitled to your opinion, even if you havent played the full version. I actually dont mind the graphics, and I agree it is much like AOE. However, you have yet to see all of the differences because you have only played single player. You havent seen how important power cores and shields are. You havent seen the different element air brings and defending against air brings. There are some major differences that make this game stand out. Furthermore, even if it was an "AOE expansion pack", WHO CARES?????? AOE was a great game, and making it star wars doesnt bother me. To say we all are on George Lucas' nuts is not fair, because I have yet to see ONE PERSON in this forum say he liked Force Commander. Isnt that a lucasarts project?? We may be biased, but not so biased that we dont accept reality. And about Lucasarts just trying to make money and not moving the "genre" forward. GL has already changed the face of science fiction, special effects, X-wing was a monumental game in the gaming industry, etc. Why cant Lucasarts sit down and try to make a fun little game every now and then?? They cant be the best at everything, every game cant be the game of the year!!! They made a smart move, they found a great game, used its engine, and made many important improvements.
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 12:51 PM
Amen.
 Wraith 5
10-02-2001, 1:26 PM
well porkins14 I see you are new here so welcome...

But i also see that you have not read some of the older threads...

So let me say this again....

I LIKED FORCE COMMANDER!!!!!

The only problem i have with it is that the path finding was not very good. I would have loved to see a x-pack for that game, and a fix for the path finding. Just because people can figure out hw to use a mouse and a keyboard at the same time does not mean the game is bad. (think that you don't like the game because of the contols, The biggest complate i hear.)

I think it added to the game only being able to have 60 units at one time, why should you need 500 units to take out a base. You don't get 500 units in chess.

Ok sorry about that. I just thought the game was really cool and that people (and la) didn't give it enoght time to learn or fix bugs in it.
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 1:30 PM
Blimey, someone on this board is agreeing with a point that I made?

(faints)
 Wraith 5
10-02-2001, 1:40 PM
McGeeza i just noticed you are also new here so welcom...

Thank you for restating you problems with the demo. This thread was about why you didn't like the demo, and your thoughts seemed to have gotten lost somewhere. I like to see people have their say. I may not agree, but i still like to read it. (as long as it just isn't there to case trouble.) That is why i asked.

I only brought up the pc thing because i thought you said that ou were only getting a 640x480 res.

I do agree with you the vader does look a little stupid, but if you think about it, wouldn't he look stupid just walking up to a jedi and swinging his lightsaber?

So thank you for reposting you thoughts, and please if you have a question or a concern for the game check out the thread i posted eralier.
 McGeeza
10-02-2001, 1:45 PM
I do agree with you the vader does look a little stupid, but if you think about it, wouldn't he look stupid just walking up to a jedi and swinging his lightsaber?

Erm...no?

***PS: Lost my way? - My response to your post was entirely on topic, and hopefully made sense. - ***** Read your post properly - please ignore this! :)

Although, with hindsight, I guess that my posts could be construed as aggressive :). I'm not trying to p*ss on anyone's parade, merely put across my point of view.

I certainly don't expect everyone to agree, just read, and respond in an intelligent manner.
 mathomas
10-02-2001, 2:00 PM
I liked Force Commander, and I agree the SW:GB demo does not live up to expectations.

I have played a bit of Emperor:Dune, and when warping back in time to the gameplay style in SW:GB, it is very tedious -- going from one resource in Dune that is automatically controlled so that all you have to do is protect your Harvesters, to a game where you have to control four separate resource gatherers that are stupid enough to stand around and do nothing. They gave us a flashing light to say there were idle workers -- how about get them off there asses automatically and not make me follow the peons so closely? It's worse than having problems with pathfinding.

Graphics and animations are pretty cheesy, especially when compared to what games like Dune are sporting these days. You may argue that that doesn't "make the game" -- but then, how is this game any different than a skin pack for AoE. The improvements like "power cores", "flying units", etc., certainly don't make any leaps in technology or gameplay than AoE. It is nice that the game is a little more unique to the individual races, but it can't hold a candle to StarCraft. Vastly different civilizations, flying units, shields, cloaking -- everything has been done before.

In anticipation of games like Warcraft III on it's way out the door, and what they almost accomplished with Force Commander, it would be nice if Lucasarts had put out something that was a step forward instead of just continuing along the identical route of a game that is several years old. It is a shame that Force Comm wasn't followed up with a sequel...

Mike.
 Darth_Venage
10-02-2001, 3:07 PM
Hmm, I guess it's my turn to put my 2 cents in.
OK, what I don't like about demo:
70 MBS FOR THIS?!?!(it took me 5 hours to download)
Voice acting. The only taunt that sounds remotely correct is 28
Building fire animations. Some do NOT look right.
Yes, Vader jumping up and down(while looking gay:D )
no skirmish!
some unit animations(ie AT-STs)
Things I LIKE about demo: (and the game in general)
shield generators
Air AND sea units(tho in the demo you don't reall get to use sea)
Campagin editer
And several other things I can't think of right now...

Oh, and as to the graphics, as someone else said, this is probably from an early design stage. And as to them being atrocious, well. Ever play Red Alert(the original)?

And anyway, I'm going to read about 5 reviews before I decide wether or not I buy this game. I suggest to others that they do the same. (Whoo. Maybe that was 25 cents... :D )
 lukesky21
10-02-2001, 3:11 PM
Sorry dude, its not our fault your like STAR TREK and not SW. any real fan wouldnt give a rats arse about graphics.......you must be a JV gamer.
 Darth_Venage
10-02-2001, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by lukesky21
Sorry dude, its not our fault your like STAR TREK and not SW. any real fan wouldnt give a rats arse about graphics.......you must be a JV gamer.
may i ask who you are refering to?
 Wraith 5
10-02-2001, 3:56 PM
And why must you come in here and try to start another flaw war when we just this back under control.
 TheJackal_jk2
10-02-2001, 4:08 PM
One thing I dont get is how can you HATE LucasArts for just one game. Sure they had a few which weren't hits. However they had more that ARE hits.

I think that if you want to hate a company you'd have to have more ground to stand on. For one thing, I hate the company responsible for all those extreme ____ games. Like Extreme Paintball, Extreme Rodeo. Why? Cause all of them get bad reviews.

You can insult a game, but leave the company alone if it is well known and have great games under its title.
 Boba Rhett
10-02-2001, 4:18 PM
Originally posted by lukesky21

So we should all be good boys and girls and send our money to Georgey boy? Why are we getting so upset that he didn't like it anyway? He's entitled to his own opinion and we should respect that and not put him down for it; And he should do the same for everyone here. Some people value graphics, some people value design, Some people value the story, etc...

I'd like to thank everyone for keeping this reasonably civil. Next time though, lets try and leave all the homo and ***king comments out of the conversation. ok? ;)
 TheJackal_jk2
10-02-2001, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett

So we should all be good boys and girls and send our money to Georgey boy? Why are we getting so upset that he didn't like it anyway? He's entitled to his own opinion and we should respect that and not put him down for it; And he should do the same for everyone here. Some people value graphics, some people value design, Some people value the story, etc...

I'd like to thank everyone for keeping this reasonably civil. Next time though, lets try and leave all the homo and ***king comments out of the conversation. ok? ;)

I agree 100%.... except for the swearing part at the end. It hurts my eyes to read it :( j/k
 nXs_Altus
10-02-2001, 4:28 PM
Actualy, I have to admit that LucasArts is has not been looking very good for quite some time. The last game that lucas did that I liked came out on flopies when 386s were the computer to have (maybe 486). I do have to say though that I don't hate them as they do make good games, just few/none that I think are worth even 5 bucks. Such hatred is reserved for sierra (who's programers have not so good skills so that their games have a tendancy to crash with and without patching and that tear up your system by not following standard programing practices that most programers do fallow), electronic arts (who chaged for patches and still do sometimes or they just don't patch a game that REALY needs it), and activition (for totaly destroying what could have been an awesome game (st-armada) due to bad programing and is now only alive because the game was so easy to modify, the patch that made the game work was made by a third party from activision).

The only reasons I am looking at SWGB is because I don't have any other C&C style games to play (I have played most of the good ones, in my opinion) and the fact that many members of the Nexsis guild are very interested in the game. My problem with SWGB is the fact that it is SO MUCH like AOE which I positively hate. SWGB has it's good marks for ok-good graphics and good modifications to AOE but it just feals... like a moded AOE... ah well, I haven't played the demo much and will be continuing to play it periodicaly hopefully it deters from AOE enough to be worth buying... I would imagine that the finished product will be WAY better than this demo as well.
 Thrawn
10-02-2001, 4:36 PM
Lucas Arts has had SOME good games! Rogue Squadron was an EXCCELANT game! :D The graphics were great and there were lots of ships to choose from! That was one of my favortite games for quite a while. . . Anyway, I too am a big C&C fan, and I think the GB will be great. I'm sure that the missions will be more like RA2, that AoK. Think about it. . . Anyway I can't wait for the release, and I'll definately be buying the game!!! :D
 Boba Rhett
10-02-2001, 4:43 PM
Umm.... what about Jedi Knight? :(
 Thrawn
10-02-2001, 4:59 PM
Um, well, I don't have the game, but I've played it. I didn't like the aweful graphics though. . . They were just like playing in a mosaic almost. . . at least when I played it. . . :(
 Boba Rhett
10-02-2001, 5:06 PM
Well, it uses 8bit mats and is pretty old but I wouldn't say it has aweful graphics. You should really play through the whole thing in a higher resolution. The later levels are better and you get to use more force powers.
 Thrawn
10-02-2001, 5:10 PM
Perhaps, but I don't really like it all that much. . . I guess it's ok for others to play it. Although, you never know when I'll go on a JK destroying spree. . . :evil2: :D
 Necro
10-02-2001, 7:31 PM
1. mp pwns the single player
2. think b4 u post
3. gfx are fine for me, 32bit, 1024x768
Page: 1 of 2