Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Lightsabers?...

Page: 1 of 1
 Lord Haine
06-19-2004, 1:00 PM
Hi there, i was just wondering, are lightsabers light? or are they plasma or something?

Or... more to the point,

can you get black and white lightsabers?

Because i dont think you can, although i know someone that thinks you can, im just wondering who is right?
 Corax
06-19-2004, 1:10 PM
Hmm..well they are also known as "laser swords" so i think they are made from some sort of laser and i don't think a black saber is possable..but a white one might be i'm not too sure...

Corax
 Samuel Dravis
06-19-2004, 1:12 PM
You can get black and white sabers in the game, but I have no idea about reality, because...they're not real! :p
 Corax
06-19-2004, 1:18 PM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
You can get black and white sabers in the game, but I have no idea about reality, because...they're not real! :p

Yeah..lol i never thought of that..but i black saber would look pritty kool huh? and in the last level tavion has a sword with some red lightening stuff going around it...i mean a saber could easyly cut though that..right?

Corax
 --ZeeMan--
06-19-2004, 1:47 PM
Unofficial Lightsaber History (http://www.thelightsaber.com/history1.htm)
 Corax
06-19-2004, 1:55 PM
that was interesting..i never knew alot of that stuff..so many charatcers i never knew of...

Corax
 Hiroki
06-19-2004, 2:18 PM
There can be white sabers. Corran Horn has a white lightsaber. I have never seen a black lightsaber, though. Lightsabers are made by useing crystals harvested from a few select worlds.
 Cercueil
06-19-2004, 3:06 PM
I dont see why you couldnt have lightsaber colors covering the entire spectrum of colors. It might just be easier for Lucas to just use a few select colors than to have a horde of various colors in larger combat situations.

and I dont see why a Jedi couldnt use red if they wanted to. I read someplace it had to do with manufacture of the crystals where Jedi use natural crystals. personally I think it just makes it easier for the movie goer to decern on who they should be cheering for. since the red stands out as "the bad guy" it makes it easier to spot where his saber is.
 Hiroki
06-19-2004, 6:44 PM
Well, for one thing, natural red crystals are extreamly rare, so its hard for a Jedi to get there hands on one. And a lightsaber can only be the color of its crystal, so, if there is no pink crystal, for example, there can be no pink lightsaber.

Red crystals typically seen with the Sith are 'fake' so to speak, they pervert natural crystals to create there own red crystals.
 Cercueil
06-19-2004, 6:56 PM
thats what I thought. Im sure the rarety of natural red crystals indicate that, though rare, various shades of crystals do exist, but are harder to find.

with that, im sure there is an existance of a diluted red (to form pink) and the possibility of white or black or any other color in the spectrum.

with a fantasy world such as star wars im sure it will only be limited to the persons imagination.
 Hiroki
06-19-2004, 7:49 PM
Not a black saber, though. You can not get a black lightsaber, because no crystals are black, and if it was black, it couldn't be a LIGHTsaber.

There are white crystals already. As I said before, Corran Horn has a white lightsaber.
 Sabretooth
06-20-2004, 7:32 AM
White lightsabers=totally possible, but boring
Black lightsabers=How are you supposed to give a black glow?

Also, check out www.starwars.com>Databank>Technology>Lightsabers) and head to Behind The Scenes.

Also, I think lightsabers are made of lasers since Ani said in EP1 that he saw Qui-Gons Laser Sword, then again in JKA, the fat guy (Rax Jorris or something, right?) also say, 'Drop your laser sword, Jedi.'

So there you go!
 PR-0927
06-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Hiroki
There can be white sabers. Corran Horn has a white lightsaber. I have never seen a black lightsaber, though. Lightsabers are made by useing crystals harvested from a few select worlds.

Actually, Corran Horn has a silver lightsaber. There is a bit of a difference.

:fett:
 Kurgan
06-23-2004, 9:58 PM
Originally posted by Hiroki
Not a black saber, though. You can not get a black lightsaber, because no crystals are black, and if it was black, it couldn't be a LIGHTsaber.

There are white crystals already. As I said before, Corran Horn has a white lightsaber.

99% of the information on the technical aspect of lightsabers is in the Expanded Universe, and a lot of it is contradictory or illogical with real-science. So suffice to say it's anyone's guess really...

In real life, crystals and gems can be a variety of colors, including black (industrial diamonds, which are manufactured by human beings are usually black).

The EU says that Luke's green lightsaber that he uses in ROTJ is made from "synthetic crystals" so the idea that only Sith use synthetic crystals (and only synthetic crystals are red) is contradicted.

Most of the Lightsaber technical information seems to come from the RPG's (that's right, from GAMES) so it's very suspect, since as we all know, games bend "reality" in order to make for more interesting/challenging/balanced/fun gameplay.

The only thing stopping a "black lightsaber" from happening is the imagination of the EU authors (since George seems to approve a lot of "silly" stuff in the EU, so being silly alone isn't enough to keep it out of Star Wars mythology).
Page: 1 of 1