Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Rollercoaster

Page: 1 of 1
 stuna213
06-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Im making a rollercoaster for my map. im using a func_train for the actual car but on the corners it just changes direction instead of actually turning and it really looks awful lol. so how can i make it actually turn on the corners? thanks.
 wedge2211
06-04-2004, 10:44 PM
The quick answer is "scripting."

Do some forum searches for "behavEd," "scripting," and "rotate." You may find it especially useful to read over the thread marked "A rolling stone?"
 Mercenary
06-04-2004, 11:05 PM
A ROFF (Raven Object File Format) would be ideal here but you need 3ds max 4 or 5.
 stuna213
06-05-2004, 1:08 PM
thanks ill script it
 stuna213
06-05-2004, 3:52 PM
okay when i try to script it it has to stop and turn (it goes down a hill and then it stops moving to turn instead of turning and moving at the same time in one fluid movement) is there any way to fix this? would i have to use a roff file?
 Mercenary
06-05-2004, 4:01 PM
Yup! A ROFF is the way to go. A func_train or other entity moved through ref_tags will have jerky movements. Here's a tut for ROFFS:

http://www.kripzclan.co.uk/torchy/SoF2_Animating_Objects.doc)

You can get the Vmdexp.dle plugin in the JO SDK in the Max4Tools folder. I never tried making a ROFF before so I can't help you out.

BTW, I don't think ROFFs work in MP. Give your moving entity key:linear value:1 this will make it so it doesn't slow down in between ref_tags/path_corners.
 stuna213
06-05-2004, 8:05 PM
well if they dont work for MP then i better script it :(. oh well i guess i can live with the jerkeyness.
Page: 1 of 1