Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Battlefront isn't out yet...

Page: 1 of 1
 tFighterPilot
05-19-2004, 10:10 AM
And already do we see bad reviews... :mad:

"Star Wars Battlefront" seemed like a promising online battlefield, but after playing it we can say that it didn't make much of an impression on us. You have your two sides, you have your various classes, but it just doesn't seem very sharp. With anemic effects, jet-pack jumping as a Dark Trooper and unloading our blaster cannon into a diminutive Ewok only seemed satisfying on a conceptual level. The furry little head just seemed to absorb the blast like water. Lack of visual feedback made sniping terribly boring, and even piloting a walker seemed dull. What the game seems to need are some tweaked effects and more live, human opponents to liven up the pace.

http://www.techtv.com/xplay/e3/story/0,24330,3696650,00.html)
 FroZticles
05-19-2004, 10:47 AM
Keep in mind he would not have had a whole group playing sounds like he played computers.....
 Lt. Havoc
05-19-2004, 11:11 AM
PC Gamer said one of its potential drawbacks is that is it being simultaneously developed for all systems. They fear like with other games which have been done the same way the PC version will be "dumbed down".

That's something I noticed from the E3 footage, granted it was played on a console but I hope the PC version has more flare, technical aspects and better gameplay.
 tFighterPilot
05-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were also developed for the the X-Box, and that didn't make them any less good.
 yaebginn
05-19-2004, 11:37 AM
yeah, I like the consoles. Have ya'll ever played conflict desert storm? that game rocks.
 Whoopknacker
05-19-2004, 12:45 PM
I think I am going to wait to play a demo before I make up my mind. I am not going to say that I am going to flat out buy it, I made that mistake with Battlefield Vietnam. I think that they will release a multiplayer demo as well. If the game is not visually spectacular like HL2 or Doom3 then so be it. And if the game does not have high requirements that is fine by me. I have a fairly good system (AMD Athlon XP 2Ghz, 512 ram, 128 GeForce 5700). I really am just looking forward to experiencing the StarWars universe behind the wheel of an ATAT taking shots at Rebel troops or nuking the Death Star.
 VanLingo
05-19-2004, 1:01 PM
Thank you thank you thank you, Whoopnacker!
I am so sick of this whining before anyone knows anything about the gameplay!

A game can still be great without all the little gizmos that critics cry for. Personally, I don't care if the graphics on this game look like Nintendo 64 -- it's the concept that I'm excited about!

With anemic effects, jet-pack jumping as a Dark Trooper and unloading our blaster cannon into a diminutive Ewok only seemed satisfying on a conceptual level. The furry little head just seemed to absorb the blast like water.
What in the world is he moaning about?! The Ewok's head didn't explode, so he suddenly gives the game bad press?
I see: "Dark Trooper", "jetpack", "blaster cannon", and "unloading into Ewok", all of which are cool concepts.

If Battlefront is the perfect game, it will be the first one ever.
So let's quit complaining until we at least try it. And even then, make sure we're complaining for the right reasons.

To illustrate:
Good Possibilities
kill Ewoks
kill Gungans
ragdoll physics
cross-platform servers
online play
headset support
online bots
lots of vehicles
settings from all six movies
snipers
voice masking
jetpacks
Bothan spies
droidekas
turrets
Hoth
Kamino
Geonosis
Yavin 4
need I go on?
Bad Possibilities
unbalanced (counts as 5)
bad graphics
server lag
pay-to-play (not always bad)
unrealistic (hmm... this is a video game, right?)

I think the weight is very much on the good side.
 Mountainforest
05-19-2004, 1:47 PM
I've read masses of good previews, also from people who already played the game (remember, the game isn't finished yet!). I'm not worring about one preview that's negative.
 tFighterPilot
05-19-2004, 1:55 PM
Originally posted by VanLingo

pay-to-play (not always bad)

Hellz no! Where did you get this from, this is not an MMO!

And about the good things... well you could pretty much sum it up in 4 things.

The reason I posted this thread, is, I don't know if you noticed, but I posted each and every preview I found.
 Whoopknacker
05-19-2004, 2:50 PM
Critics, Schmitics
As we all know critics dont always steer us in the right direction. If we only listened to critics none of us would be Star Wars fans. We would all be watching art films :o . VanLingo you hit it dead on, critics look for different things. Because one game shows body parts and dismemberment, the critics look for that in other games too. Im not discrediting critics but I would pay more attenion to StarWars fan feedback then theirs.
 Lt. Havoc
05-19-2004, 3:17 PM
all good points from all sides. I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977 when I saw it at a tender young age. The game has a great idea, I don't care if the graphics are like HL2 or Doom either. Things to remember 1. Graphics alone do not a good game make. 2. Star Wars alone does not a good game make. The Lucasarts' standard on the Star Wars titles have rarely disappointed me with that in mind I'm confident about the game. I've been playing BF1942 for 2 years now (not Desert Combat) and I'm sure I'll be playing SWBF long after HL2 and Doom. I don't care too much for any games with the premise "Aliens and hell spawn have split into our world through transdimensional portal, use your shotgun to stop them". For almost a decade that's all FPS had to offer and its sad but Doom 1-2, Corridor 7, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake 1-2 were all pretty much the same game. Real war games became vogue and finally we'll have a Star Wars warfare game.
 VanLingo
05-19-2004, 3:25 PM
Hellz no! Where did you get this from, this is not an MMO!

And about the good things... well you could pretty much sum it up in 4 things.

First off -- pay-to-play is not only for MMOs. Do you know what X-box Live is?
Personally, I wish Sony would just do the same thing. I'd rather pay $6 - $10 per month to get rid of this terrible laaag from SOCOM, 007, and NFS Underground.

Second -- I could have summed it up in about four things. In fact, I can sum up the whole post in one thing: quit yer whining until we at least get to play. LucasArts doesn't owe you anything, and I think they're doing a fine job so far.
Seriously, some people sound like Wal-Mart shoppers: "It's my right to have this product, cause I'M a customer!"
Then they get it, and it's always "What kind of crap do you people sell?! I want my money back!"

BTW: tFighterPilot, that part in bold wasn't necessarily aimed at you. That was for the critics in your preview and for the whiners of these boards.
 tFighterPilot
05-19-2004, 3:46 PM
Originally posted by VanLingo
First off -- pay-to-play is not only for MMOs. Do you know what X-box Live is?
Personally, I wish Sony would just do the same thing. I'd rather pay $6 - $10 per month to get rid of this terrible laaag from SOCOM, 007, and NFS Underground.

Second -- I could have summed it up in about four things. In fact, I can sum up the whole post in one thing: quit yer whining until we at least get to play. LucasArts doesn't owe you anything, and I think they're doing a fine job so far.
Seriously, some people sound like Wal-Mart shoppers: "It's my right to have this product, cause I'M a customer!"
Then they get it, and it's always "What kind of crap do you people sell?! I want my money back!"

BTW: tFighterPilot, that part in bold wasn't necessarily aimed at you. That was for the critics in your preview and for the whiners of these boards. Good thing you added that BTW, I was gonna say how much I also hate these kind of people.

I also hate this kind of people this much.
|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
 Ewok Homie
05-19-2004, 5:37 PM
I hope that critic sees my post one day because to me he is a moron. There have been at least 6 other previews already and there all very positive. I think this guy is just being an arse lol.
 joesdomain
05-19-2004, 6:14 PM
I could care less about the Multi-player or the online playing. I am buying the game because it is a Star Wars game on Playstation 2 set during the original trilogy period and it has the single player off-line mode.
 tFighterPilot
05-19-2004, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by joesdomain
I could care less about the Multi-player or the online playing. I am buying the game because it is a Star Wars game on Playstation 2 set during the original trilogy period and it has the single player off-line mode. Not really, it's just multiplayer with bots, and that's what he was talking about in the review...
 Fleab
05-19-2004, 8:49 PM
In your title tiefighter you say the game isn't even out yet. Wow you already contradicted yourself in your title. Your right the game isn't out yet which can mean they haven't fully tweaked the game correctly yet. There is still time don't worry your pretty head over one bad review so early. We don't need to jump to conclusions like this yet do we?
 BurnsU
05-19-2004, 8:59 PM
Wow,1 Negative review for every 10 positive ones,dont be too worried.

I loved TPM and AOTC and critics hated them.So dont listen to critics because you might be missin out.
 yaebginn
05-19-2004, 9:00 PM
lingo, I'm glad they dont make it a certain number of money per month. Alot of gamers are under the legal working age and/or want to buy other things. I'm glad they don't make you pay. I'd rather buy other games, star wars books, paintballs, co2, admission fees, and survival gear, then spend money to play my own video game.
 lukeiamyourdad
05-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Now now let's not turn this into a pay-to-play rant thread.
 JawaJoey
05-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy were also developed for the the X-Box, and that didn't make them any less good.

His point was that Battlefront is being developed for all systems at the same time. JO and JA were made, and then made for the consoles, not made for PC and consoles at the same time.

I expect this game to be great, and I think that review is just one meaningless negative in a thousand more positives. But even if ti was unexciting and not that outstanding, I don't care. Half the reason I'm so excited about it is because it's star wars. If I just wanted this style of play, I'd go buy Battlefield 1942. But WWII isn't the same as SW, and I'd much rather play in SW.
 StormHammer
05-20-2004, 1:05 AM
I take all previews and reviews with a pinch of salt. One thing is for sure...they can't please everyone, so of course there will be bad 'previews' for the game.

My main measure of a game these days is whether or not it's fun to play - not how many polygons are floating around the screen.

As others have already stated, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' game, so of course every gamer will have their own particular 'issues' with the game when it finally arrives.

If there are glaring bugs, or the game proves to be horrendously unbalanced, then that's what customer feedback and patches is for. That may be more difficult to address with the PS2 version, but for the PC and Xbox it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
 tFighterPilot
05-20-2004, 5:28 AM
Originally posted by Fleab
In your title tiefighter you say the game isn't even out yet. Wow you already contradicted yourself in your title. Your right the game isn't out yet which can mean they haven't fully tweaked the game correctly yet. There is still time don't worry your pretty head over one bad review so early. We don't need to jump to conclusions like this yet do we? I didn't WRITE this preview (I wish I would, I want to see this game!), I just posted it.

In the preview, he said that they need to twick some things, it's not like a bad review.

I think bad previews are better than good ones, because bad previews are feedback, that can help the developers better the game.
 Fleab
05-20-2004, 9:13 AM
quote: "I didn't WRITE this preview (I wish I would, I want to see this game!), I just posted it.

In the preview, he said that they need to twick some things, it's not like a bad review.

I think bad previews are better than good ones, because bad previews are feedback, that can help the developers better the game."

But you sadi in your first post of the topic that this was a bad review? I'm not saying your wrong or anything just now your switchign things around. Hee hee nut anyway I agree that I just hope it's fun to play. I wouldnt be getting it for computer anyway so I don't care about the PC version much.
 tFighterPilot
05-20-2004, 9:52 AM
quote: "I didn't WRITE this preview (I wish I would, I want to see this game!), I just posted it.

I think bad previews are better than good ones, because bad previews are feedback, that can help the developers better the game."

But you sadi in your first post of the topic that this was a bad review? I'm not saying your wrong or anything just now your switchign things around. Hee hee nut anyway I agree that I just hope it's fun to play. I wouldnt be getting it for computer anyway so I don't care about the PC version much. I meant 1) negative review

2) I think he reviewed the PS2 version

3) Learn to use quotes.
 Mountainforest
05-20-2004, 11:45 AM
With more then half of a year to go, I don't hope every 'bad' review will cause so much wrrying people. Otherwise nobody will buy the game if it's in stores.
 StormtrooperGER
05-20-2004, 12:02 PM
.Maybe some people have missunderstood something. You have not to pay for playing. Look at the official FAQ (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefront/faq.html) .

Will there be a charge to play Star Wars Battlefront online?
No, there's no additional charge to play the game online. However, players are still responsible for their own ISP and connection charges.

They just say that you have to pay for your internet connection ;)

So don't worry :)

@Graphics: The game looks very good, but... The skybox (environmental backround) looks bad, even on PC. It's not sharp because it has a low resolution, like you can see on this picture (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/512/512769/star-wars-battlefront-200405090618181.jpg).
 Fleab
05-20-2004, 12:38 PM

But you sadi in your first post of the topic that this was a bad review? I'm not saying your wrong or anything just now your switchign things around. Hee hee nut anyway I agree that I just hope it's fun to play. I wouldnt be getting it for computer anyway so I don't care about the PC version much.

Sorry still learning how to use some of this stuff on the site. I see what you mean about the whole feedback but shouldn't we give the developers a fair chance before jumping to conclusions? It's sorta like seeing a movie that hasn't been edited at all yet then worrying the rest of the time it will be bad? I usually don't listen to critics just because my view is different then thers thats all.
Page: 1 of 1