Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Gf2

Page: 1 of 2
 Expert Player
05-10-2004, 8:19 PM
Well, it's not gonna be official or anything like that, but I'm gonna try to make my own GF2 game, just for the fun of it!
 JofaGuht
05-11-2004, 3:50 PM
A guy that used to be around the gfn named, uh, Recquesfat or something like that. I doubt its that but I knew it was a word that started with an R and had a Q and three syllables. Well, he tried to make his own fansequel, which was completely amatuer and a fansequel, but Lucasarts contacted him anyway telling him he couldn't do it. It's really sad because the screenshots looked great.

One of the moderators or gfn historians will remember his name.
 Expert Player
05-11-2004, 4:02 PM
Did they say why he couldn't do it? Thats annoying... Oh well, I'll still do it, but I won't give it to anyone. Just a little version for my family :)
 VampireNaomi
05-12-2004, 7:25 AM
Wah, LucasArts sure is mean. :mad: One day there will be an adventure game made of my future books (it's my dream, don't mock me) and I will give fans all kinds of rights...

*dreaming* :p
 Sallim
05-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Yeah its really sad..

good that poeple like 8 od 12 have great ideas ;)
 Expert Player
05-21-2004, 2:25 PM
im gonna do it in PowerPoint, I can put in some cool animation! I'll see if maybe LucasArts will let me post it on my website when im done. BUT IT WILL TAKE A WHILE
 Dawidos
06-07-2004, 2:30 PM
Good Luck. It's good that fans like you still have a fancy for this kind of project.
 James Isaac
06-08-2004, 1:58 PM
But, I wouldn't ask LucasArts if i were you, because they will almost definetly say no.

And, this guy made a short Grim Fandango 2 demo ages ago, which was really good - it actually worked in full nice 3D. But he got shut down. I can upload the demo if anyone wants it..?
 Dawidos
06-08-2004, 4:55 PM
It'd be nice if you did it. And I would be glad :)
 VampireNaomi
06-09-2004, 3:20 AM
Yeah, I would be more than glad as well.
 chrisbailey
06-12-2004, 8:38 PM
I suppose if you knew how, it wouldn't be that difficult to recode the existing game to change the story.

It would take ages though!
 James Isaac
06-13-2004, 2:10 AM
Hey, yeah, i wonder if it would be possible to read the Lua code, then change it via hex editing the LA1 data files :D
 Expert Player
06-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by James Isaac
But, I wouldn't ask LucasArts if i were you, because they will almost definetly say no.

And, this guy made a short Grim Fandango 2 demo ages ago, which was really good - it actually worked in full nice 3D. But he got shut down. I can upload the demo if anyone wants it..?

yeah, can you give the demo here, thx. :)
 James Isaac
06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Here you go:

http://dod.dotagame.com/media/gf2/is.zip)

Have fun. And remember, visit my Grim Fandango site when it comes up, because i'll have more cool stuff like this :p

Edit - My Grim Fandango site is up now, and it can be downloaded from there now :)
 Expert Player
06-17-2004, 3:51 PM
No doubt I will! Good luck with it, thanks!
 Expert Player
06-17-2004, 3:56 PM
Umm... it's just a guy walking around, is that it? or am I missing something?
 Sallim
06-17-2004, 4:14 PM
I think its all, readme says tech demo. But very nice! Someone know hwere the screenshots are to find?

Thnaks james for the upload =)
 James Isaac
06-18-2004, 2:24 AM
It's just a tech demo because the guy was working on the proper game but then he got shut down by L.A., i think.
 Dawidos
06-19-2004, 9:29 AM
Oh my God. I've played this demo and I must say it's cute. Who knows who is a playable character ? He has a gun :) Is it possible to do something in the demo, except walking ?
 VampireNaomi
06-19-2004, 11:18 AM
It looked much better than I thought. The character was a bit odd though.
 James Isaac
06-19-2004, 12:25 PM
@Dawidos: No, unfortunately there is nothing you can do except walk. The guy did the hard part of making a good game engine, but was shut down before he could add in puzzles and more rooms :(

Infact, i'm not sure if he was shut down. He might have just given up on the project, and said he could give it to anyone who could continue it. I seem to remember reading something like that on his site. I'll see if i can find the site again, and if I do, i'll post a link, and maybe he'll give us the source code so one of us can continue it :D
 Sallim
06-19-2004, 1:06 PM
Well, if its like that..sure. I think you can hanlde the source. Would be nice ;)

Iam very interrested to find more about this fanproject.
Keep up good work Isaac!
 Expert Player
06-20-2004, 10:40 AM
yeah, even though it is just walking around, it's still cool that someone did that! I'd like to learn more too.
 James Isaac
06-20-2004, 1:15 PM
I e-mailed the guy yesterday at the e-mail adress provided in the readme, seeing as i couldn't find his site.

He hasn't responded yet, but fingers crossed he does.
 JofaGuht
06-20-2004, 6:18 PM
Yeah, Adrian Bashi was his name I think. I found his email in my box from two years ago. I emailed him to work on it, and he said it had been shut down four months before or so. There was an interview with him on one of the oldschool GFN sites from the good old days. "Indigo Island". The screenshots looked sweet and I have a couple of the MIDIs too, which were okay,

It's said, his idea was cool.
 Scale
06-25-2004, 10:28 AM
lol i ran around for 10 mins XD
very good man to bad lucas shut it down
thats just evil, but think about it lol some guy makes an gf 2 and its becomes a huge hit lucas would be like DARN if we just hade made that game :P

my dream :P
win the dam lotery hire lucas arts to make meh gf 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 :X
 VampireNaomi
06-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Scale
lol i ran around for 10 mins XD
very good man to bad lucas shut it down
thats just evil, but think about it lol some guy makes an gf 2 and its becomes a huge hit lucas would be like DARN if we just hade made that game :P

my dream :P
win the dam lotery hire lucas arts to make meh gf 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 :X

Well, if someone made huge money out of GF2 wouldn't LucasArt make a mint by taking it to the court? They have the rights and all...

But if it was freeware and became a hit, maybe it would actually inspire them to make GF2 one day?

Or not. But hey, that reminds me. I was on another message board somewhere and there was this guy who said:

Besides, I read on a site that George Lucas will probably start working on it soon, but not at the moment because of all the Star Wars movies happening. It said in perhaps... by 2009 or something it will be either done and begin selling or begin production.

I somehow find that highly unlikely. Call me a pessimist if you want. ;)
 Sallim
06-25-2004, 2:02 PM
Lol 2009? Iam old then^^
 VampireNaomi
06-25-2004, 3:15 PM
Yeah, me too. 20 years old... *shudder*

And why would George Lucas even be interested in GF2? :confused:
 Sallim
06-25-2004, 3:33 PM
You think 20 is old? Iam almost 21 ...man..
deaths comes fast ^^

Na but I dont believe there will be a GF2..no in 2xxx.
 VampireNaomi
06-26-2004, 4:22 AM
Yeah, 20 is old. I don't ever want to be that ancient. I would like to stay exactly as I am now, 16.
 JofaGuht
06-26-2004, 8:46 PM
Despite the fact we're getting totally off-topic, I disagree with Naomi, which I am about the same age as. My youth is a handicap and can't wait until five years from now when my life is actually happening.
 VampireNaomi
06-27-2004, 4:23 AM
Well, I am fortunate enough to be able to think that my current age is always the best. When I was 11 I didn't want to grow up, same thing for 12, 13, 14 and 15. I am always happy, just thinking about the future is not nice.

Oh, the person who said the "year 2009 rumour" actually e-mailed me because we both write fanfiction. I asked her about the rumour and she said that it's probably not true.
 JofaGuht
06-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Good advice. Unfortunately, I will never have the ability appreciate where I live and the fact I don't have the credentials to leave.
 spectre5
06-28-2004, 7:34 AM
Hi!

I need to make contact with someone who has the game installed and is using IRC.

PLEASE make contact me via Ircnet or Quakenet, my nickname is Spectre5

!!

t.
Antti
 VampireNaomi
06-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Ooh, you are Finnish! :D
 spectre5
06-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Tiдtty :)

Mutta hei, viittitkц tulla irkkiin?

Ois siellд helpompi selvittдд asia..
 VampireNaomi
06-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by spectre5
Tiдtty :)

Mutta hei, viittitkц tulla irkkiin?

Ois siellд helpompi selvittдд asia..

Hдpeд myцntдд, mutta en tajua irkistд yhtддn mitддn. En ole edes varma, mikд se on. Yritдn tдnд iltana kokeilla jotain. Lдhden huomenna viideksi pдivдksi vahtimaan kakaroita, katsotaan mitд ehdin. :)

Juh, nyt tajusin, mikд se irkki on. Minulla ei kyllдkддn ole sen paremmin kelvollista sдhцpostia kuin sivuille sopivaa kuvaakaan. Ja tietддkseni siellд pддsevдt kirjoittelemaan vain rekisterцityneet kдyttдjдt.

Tee tдnne vaikka erikseen topikki tдlle aiheelle tai lдhetд sдhkцpostia (sen pitдisi nдkyд tддllд jossain). En tiedд miten nopeasti ehdin vastaamaan, mutta jos tдmдn pдivдn aikana ei tule mitддn, kannattaa kysyд neuvoa joltain muulta. Se voi olla muutenkin kannattavaa, sillд en ole mikддn vuosisadan tietokonenero ja kuten sanoin, olen tavoitettavissa vasta perjantaina.

Hm, we are heavily off topic and using a language no one else probably understands. We are so evil.
 Expert Player
06-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Hey, plz try to stay one language... I'm still dazed lookin at all of those dots... (no offence to the language)
 VampireNaomi
06-29-2004, 1:44 AM
No offense taken. I figured it would be impolite to use a non-English language. I won't do it again. Unless I'm paid! ;)
 Bushmeister
06-29-2004, 6:53 AM
Very nice little demo that guy made, I quite liked it. But lol @ the idea of George Lucas taking interest in making a GF sequel. Just because he's giuven "special thanks" in game credits, doesn't mean he actually does anything in making them :p
 Raudaschl
07-12-2004, 7:12 PM
Hi there. Gosh, its been a good long time since I was last here lol. I am extremely flattered and amazed that people still talk about this work, its utter crud compared with what I could be doing today :p. Sadly I have little to actually offer the community in terms of the work I have done, however once upon a time there did exist a CD with all the projects, source code, beta music and concept art from the fan game. The person previously known as Bone Man has a copy of this disk, and somewhere in this mess I have one too lol. If I find it i'll post up all those goddies if you guys would like.

I've given up the computer community now really, having studied computer science at A-level for the last 2 years has driven me quite mad. So what does a mad ex-programmer do? STUDIES MEDICINE! Yie medicine, but i'll always have a place in my heart for Grim Fandango. Cheers guys.

- Addy
 JofaGuht
07-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Raudaschl! That was your screen name! Whoa, it's been quite a long time, man. Good luck in the medicine field (my mother worked in some international pharmacies, and will again. It aint for me though)

Know that I think about it, I think I got the name confused with Recquesfat because Recquesfat is close to the latin "rest" or something. It's more like recquiscat, but it still comes close. I don't know, I just remember "in pace recquiscat" from A Cask of Amontillado by Poe.
 James Isaac
07-17-2004, 7:57 AM
Wow, you found this topic :) . I thought that the game was really good, and was coming along well. What engine were you using? Or did you make your own engine :eek: ?

If you find the goodies, i would really appreicate it if you put them up for download :)
 Expert Player
07-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I started this a month or 2 ago and people are still posting... 3 pages, this was like a dream I had...:D :D :D :) :) Guess it shows how much we all liked the game!

new- Guess I shouldnt have said that...
 Expert Player
03-29-2005, 4:18 PM
You've talked about it, now SUPPORT IT! sign this petition to make Grim Fandango 2!
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143497)
 VampireNaomi
03-30-2005, 6:24 AM
Didn't you know? GF2 has been in production for months and will be released in 14th of December, this year! :)

HUGE spoilers for the plot:

Nah, tricked you! Keep dreaming, though...
 Sallim
03-30-2005, 8:52 AM
Big meanie Naomi! :D
 Grim_comician
03-31-2005, 1:40 PM
Darn, I just noticed this link and now it's broken! Could you send a new one, please?
 James Isaac
04-02-2005, 12:15 PM
I would re-upload it, but my site just got hacked by myg.0t :mad: :mad: :mad:

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.
Page: 1 of 2