Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Cylinder trouble.

Page: 1 of 1
 IG-64
05-08-2004, 1:01 PM
I made a curve cylinder, but when I compiled it one half of it was not round, like in radiant. So I made a cylinder out of brushes instead, but I need to be able to go inside it, and I can't figure out how to flip the normals of brushes. I tried making it nonsolid, and then hollowing a copy of it using caulk, or clipping, but I also need stuff inside the cylinder, which creates leaks in the map. Can anyone help me?
 WadeV1589
05-08-2004, 1:44 PM
I'm guessing this is a pretty large cylinder for it to deform. I think using -patchmeta fixes it as it turns the meshes into brushes ingame.
 mslaf
05-08-2004, 1:46 PM
Had the same problem. You cylinder is probably too big. Try to create it with two end caps. Alternatively you can convert BSP to ASE and use the misc_model instead of patchmesh.
 IG-64
05-08-2004, 2:24 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
I'm guessing this is a pretty large cylinder for it to deform. I think using -patchmeta fixes it as it turns the meshes into brushes ingame.

whats -patchmeta?

and yes, it is very large, its a tower
 WadeV1589
05-08-2004, 2:53 PM
It performs meta sorting on patches effectively making them into brushes in the BSP instead of actual patches still - I think anyway.

If you need a big circular object, separate it into it's own map, add at least one brush in there (anywhere and only has to be 1x1x1 units) covered in caulk, save and compile with -meta -patchmeta -subdivisions 16 and then -convert -format ase. This will firstly make your .map into a .bsp and then the .bsp into a .ase which you can load as a model :)
 IG-64
05-08-2004, 3:10 PM
Originally posted by WadeV1589
It performs meta sorting on patches effectively making them into brushes in the BSP instead of actual patches still - I think anyway.

If you need a big circular object, separate it into it's own map, add at least one brush in there (anywhere and only has to be 1x1x1 units) covered in caulk, save and compile with -meta -patchmeta -subdivisions 16 and then -convert -format ase. This will firstly make your .map into a .bsp and then the .bsp into a .ase which you can load as a model :)

Will it have clipping?
 WadeV1589
05-08-2004, 3:45 PM
If it's as large as I think it is you can just add spawnflags 6 to lightmap and auto-clip the model - in this instance it is OK to use autoclipping.
 IG-64
05-08-2004, 4:07 PM
If thats the case, then I could make a big cylinder in 3dsmax, and autoclip it.

I'll try that.
Page: 1 of 1